Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times

Advertisements

ya. disagree
i CAN afford it, and no, not struggling for anything. Still HATE it. Whoever posted this, you should really find a good novel, sit back and relax, and don't try to figure out why people don't LOVE LI.
Here's a reason for you to add to your subject though:
...people who have lived elsewhere, and realize this is not a good place to live. It's just not.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
It wasn't the waiting that bothered me.. but regular folks picking fights just because someone cut someone else.

I watched fireworks over the river in Tarrytown, and it was a more pleasant experience getting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
This happens everywhere, even small towns. Whenever large amounts of people all congregate in one area with their cars, it will cause backups.

I live in Phx now, and I have to wait OVER one hour just to exit a Lowe's Parking lot after the 4th fireworks show. This is the hot spot for fireworks near me. At least you were able to see the fireworks over a beach as opposed to seeing them from the parking lot of a corporate strip center!

The best 4th of July's we ever had were on the beach, but we booked beachfront hotels and walked to the show, and usually hung out way beyond when the crowds left.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Yes - on the weekends you can get in your car and sit in traffic.
Yes, because we all know NJ doesn't have traffic. Bottom line is that we are in the NY metro area. There is traffic everywhere. The summer NJ shore traffic is just as bad as the LI traffic. Pick your poison.

There are advantages and disadvantages to living in either NJ, CT, Westchester, or LI. It's up to each individual to see what is right for them.

While access to points west is a huge negative, I think the Grand Central link for the LIRR which is coming in a few years will be a huge huge boost for LI. Effectively, LI will be the only region in the tristate area which has direct commuter train access to east and west Manhattan.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Can't argue with this. People here are always comparing LI to places like Orange County CA or The SF bay area counties like Sonoma.... do you think anyone over there ever thinks about moving to LI?

That's funny - reminds me of a trip out to a winery in Sonoma where the nice and genuine counterwoman said to me: "we've had three people here from NY today, including one couple from Lawn Guyland!, am I saying this right?" - what a laugh we had over the expense of that couple! The counterwoman was not impressed with their "uppityness" that was on display that day - but I defer, it just may have been the wine going to their head.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "afford". If I have my own private helicopter and live in Llyod Harbor, does that mean I can afford it? Or is it just people making over 200k a year. Even people who make 200k here have to deal with the traffic and congestion.
Maybe the ability to put up with traffic and congestion (and I see LI as no worse than any major metro area) is helped by having good compensation...tough to tell.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Yes, because we all know NJ doesn't have traffic. Bottom line is that we are in the NY metro area. There is traffic everywhere. The summer NJ shore traffic is just as bad as the LI traffic. Pick your poison.

There are advantages and disadvantages to living in either NJ, CT, Westchester, or LI. It's up to each individual to see what is right for them.

While access to points west is a huge negative, I think the Grand Central link for the LIRR which is coming in a few years will be a huge huge boost for LI. Effectively, LI will be the only region in the tristate area which has direct commuter train access to east and west Manhattan.
Actually, since NJ Transit - Midtown Direct already offers West Manhattan service and comes into Penn Station, both LIRR and NJ Transit will have access to both "East and West Manhattan" service. That's why both NY and NJ are paying for the link-up with Grand Central. So there is no real boost for LI - with your outrageous transit fares (imagine commutting in from Ronkonoma and having to shell out $350 a month to go to work) - not that NJ is that much better - NJ Coast line is a disaster in the winter.

As far as traffic, I remember leaving home at 7AM to make it out to Jones Beach by 8AM on busy weekends. It's been a while, but the last time I tried that I got turned around and stuck in major traffic. Now, if I left my house at 7AM, I'd make it down the NJ shore - waay down the shore in about 2 hours. I don't think that would happen if I wanted to make it out to the Hamptons, again, both being equi-distant in mileage.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I just did a thorough analysis of what my families expenses would be if we moved to an area of Virginia where some of my friends have moved.

Even after all the savings on car insurance and property taxes, we'd still have $500 less a month left over after all is said and done, considering the pay cuts we'd have to take. Nope, still not moving.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Anyone who thinks Long Island is a wonderful place to live, whether they can afford it or not, are either sailing up the river of delusion or just aren't well travelled.
You are being awarded the "Most over-posted comment in this board" trophy. Thank you for speaking for the entire citizenry and every resident of the 100's of towns, villages etc from the Forks to Brooklyn (I am SURE you have lived in all of them). You are soo right...I like the town I live in, so I must have never been ANYWHERE else, and am likely delusional. Or maybe, I am not even originally from the area, travel extensively for work, and think the town I live in is just fine...and it is...

Sweeping opinions about entire regions are delusional....but maybe you are just not well travelled.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
Why the quotation marks around the word city? Last time I checked, that hulking metropolis just to the west of us is, in fact, a city. And a pretty good one, I've been told.
the quotes are there until someone can come in this thread with clickable maps and internet links and can confirm that it is in fact a city... till then, quotes are justifed

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Anyone who thinks Long Island is a wonderful place to live, whether they can afford it or not, are either sailing up the river of delusion or just aren't well travelled.
I'm delusional. But that's an entirely different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island