U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2009, 06:51 PM

815 posts, read 1,114,762 times
Default Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

To all forum members,
Remember it is a uniquely American Holiday.
Drive safe. Have fun.
Enjoy the in-laws!

Quick riddle:
What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,462,655 times
I'm still too new here (< 2 years) to have solid input on the "why I love/hate Long Island" forums...but I can give much thanks to the regulars on these boards who made it a lot easier adjusting to our new home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,394,005 times
Thanksgiving is the most unique day on the American calendar: it's the only day set aside as a day of thanking G-d, that is celebrated, each in their own manner, by the 3 Abrahamic religions.

The American pilgrims, who originated the Thanksgiving holiday, were deeply religious people. When they were trying to find a way to express their thanks for their survival and for the harvest, they looked to the Bible for an appropriate way of celebrating and based their celebration in part on the 7-day Jewish Biblical Festival of Sukkot (Lev. 23:33-43).

There is an almost unbroken line of presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations, beginning with George Washington on October 3, 1789, with one thing in common: Thanksgiving Day is a day for thanking G-d.

Portions of many of the past presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations were included in the resurrected New York Sun's annual "Thanksgiving" editorial, before the Sun stopped publishing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM

292 posts, read 449,053 times
Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM

6,526 posts, read 8,013,849 times
Walter, you were reading my mind and yet I must say you put it a lot better/more profound than I ever could. And they (albeit on the day we call "Columbus Day") celebrate it in Canada too!

Happy turkey everyone! And may the Giants start winning consecutively again!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,530,715 times
Be safe and enjoy the holidays.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 AM

815 posts, read 1,114,762 times
Gee, Walter! The intent of my post was to wish everyone a good National Holiday. Now I see you have hijacked it in support of the mythical construct you believe in. I am an atheist, and what you have done to my original thread upsets me. I do not wish to think of the tens of millions of people slaughtered in the name of your G-d. Probably even those Native Americans that helped the Pilgrims initiate this holiday suffered from the relentless push of religion. I did not want to spend Thanksgiving pondering why this evil that you revere causes pain and suffering to millions. All I wanted to say was

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 4,314,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I'm still too new here (< 2 years) to have solid input on the "why I love/hate Long Island" forums...but I can give much thanks to the regulars on these boards who made it a lot easier adjusting to our new home.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm new here too, but I have to say I've learned a lot about areas on Long Island by being here. Its been a wealth of information as I am house hunting. One example was that I had no idea about the plume in the Setauket area and I was considering going there. I appreciate all the help that everyone here has given me.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM

211 posts, read 309,302 times
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,394,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Gee, Walter! The intent of my post was to wish everyone a good National Holiday. Now I see you have hijacked it in support of the mythical construct you believe in. I am an atheist, and what you have done to my original thread upsets me.

Hijack? I don't think so.

That National Holiday that you cite -- "Remember it is a uniquely American Holiday." -- is an uniquely American national day of giving thanks to the Almighty. It has been an uniquely American national day of giving thanks to the Almighty from its inception.

According to the Thanksgiving - November 22, 2006 - The New York Sun, "When George Washington issued his first Thanksgiving proclamation -- on October 3, 1789, in New York City -- he noted that Congress had requested that he recommend to the people 'a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty G-d.' He set aside Thursday, November 26, 1789, 'to be devoted by the people of these states to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be.'"

There is an almost unbroken line of presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations since Washington's Proclamation.

If we are not giving thanks to the Almighty, then who are we giving thanks to? I'd really like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island