Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 45,107 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to get some advice regarding housing and nursery schools. Thank you all in advance. My husband, I, and our two year old son will be moving to Long island next year because of his new job. He's going to be working in Manhasset. We are planning to rent for the at least the first year. We are looking to live in a safe, family oriented area. I've read about Great Neck, Rosyln, Little Neck. Any other suggestions? We're looking at maybe 15-20 minute commute. Any advice on daycare/nursery schools? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 05:22 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,428 times
I would also look in Manhasset and Munsey Park.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM

292 posts, read 820,097 times
Just about anywhere within 15 minutes of Manhasset will be safe and family oriented - that's LI for the most part. Are you planning on renting an apartment or a house?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 PM

75 posts, read 292,564 times
If you choose Great Neck or Little Neck try the Samuel Field Y.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm planning to rent. We have been living in an apartment in Chicago for the last 10 years. Now that we have a toddler, we'd love to be able to "upgrade" to a house. It seems that a renting a house in LI may cost us an arm and a leg though.. How much do houses (3 bedroom or so) rent for?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:39 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoracG View Post
I'm planning to rent. We have been living in an apartment in Chicago for the last 10 years. Now that we have a toddler, we'd love to be able to "upgrade" to a house. It seems that a renting a house in LI may cost us an arm and a leg though.. How much do houses (3 bedroom or so) rent for?
Figure about $2000/mo plus utilities; few areas less, many areas more...

Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Figure about $2000/mo plus utilities; few areas less, many areas more...
Great Neck and Roslyn are going to be very expensive. You can look in a different town and still get a nice place in a good area. How much of a commute to Manhasset are you looking for? Places like Wantagh, East Meadow & Massapequa are kind of far from Manhasset but you pay so much less in those places than you would where you are looking.

Little Neck is Queens by the way, not Long Island.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 11-26-2009 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 05:27 PM

292 posts, read 820,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Little Neck is Queen by the way, not Long Island.
That's splitting hairs - it's geographically part of LI, and a helluva lot closer than any place you mentioned.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 PM

How about port washington, jericho, floral park? Are these good, safe, kid friendly neighborhoods and about 20 minute commute to Manhasset? I'm horrible with geography as you can tell from my "little Neck" boo boo. If renting in LI will cost me two arms and two legs, may be I need to look into Queens.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

LoracG, Little Neck is a neighborhood in the New York City Borough of Queens, and while the western part of Long Island is within, from west to east, the New York City Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, most folks do not include the part in New York City as being "Long Island", or, as affectionately known, "Lawn Guyland"..

Looking at Nassau County and Suffolk County, the part of Long Island not in New York City, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island