Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

138 posts, read 600,541 times

Advertisements

Personally I love LI. Always have. I have seen, visited even temporarily lived in other states. I still love LI.

Yes, IT IS EXPENSIVE and I will not deny that, but why the bad rap from all the people who left?

Is it really just about the expense? or is it something else.

There are a ton of people on these boards who are just so bitter about LI and being a person who still loves living here.. it is just abhorrent that some can be knocking the place they once called home.

Amazing how many people leave, just to try to come back anyway.

Everyone has opinions sure, and I think yes there are pros and cons to living on LI but isn't that EVERYWHERE?

Long Island has wonderful beaches.. we have the four seasons, we have a great city close by, we have the hamptons close by, we can go sking, boating, and the like just minutes away.

I still like it here and if you can afford to live here then to me it's a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 AM

155 posts, read 849,486 times
skiing? minutes away?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
I grew up there. Left in 98. When I visited my friend last year this is all I will note- it is overcrowded and alot of people who grew up there in 70's and 80's just didn't like the changes- It is becoming like Queens, in some areas. There are still nice sections: Roslyn, Garden City, Locust Valley etc. But Nassau IMO is overpriced- most people like more land- so buy a house elsewhere. Just my opinion.

sunny

Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
Is it really just about the expense? or is it something else....

When I was living on LI, SO MANY people were complaining about LI!
I think it is overpriced but Iwill always love it. I am not alone. There is a whole thread on these boards about all the great things about the island, written by current and former residents.
Go over to the boards of other states & see all the posters complaining about how Long Islanders always brag about it!

Keep loving Long Island & tune out the complainers!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Yes. Opinions are Opinions that is what makes us all unique.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
People are very frustrated about the ever increasing costs of living here, putting it out of the reach for many. I also think some people need to work themselves up about the negatives of an area to sort of justify why they are leaving their friends and family. I know this happened to a relative of mine. She would just get herself into a lather over everything to the point where the negativity just consumed her and she wasn't able to think straight. Now she's in Florida focusing on her increasing taxes, higher homeowner's insurance, and inability to see her family more often.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 349,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
Personally I love LI. Always have. I have seen, visited even temporarily lived in other states. I still love LI.

Yes, IT IS EXPENSIVE and I will not deny that, but why the bad rap from all the people who left?

Is it really just about the expense? or is it something else.

There are a ton of people on these boards who are just so bitter about LI and being a person who still loves living here.. it is just abhorrent that some can be knocking the place they once called home.

Amazing how many people leave, just to try to come back anyway.

Everyone has opinions sure, and I think yes there are pros and cons to living on LI but isn't that EVERYWHERE?

Long Island has wonderful beaches.. we have the four seasons, we have a great city close by, we have the hamptons close by, we can go sking, boating, and the like just minutes away.

I still like it here and if you can afford to live here then to me it's a great place.

I am a small business owner on LI and the cost of living and running a small business on LI is just killing me.I am hearing it from all business owners so I know it's not just me complaining.
I think it's a combination of the expense and the diminishing quality of life on LI that makes people so bitter.Lets be honest LI'ers,as someone stated here there are a few things to do here but trying to get there is a whole different story. I think when you mass so many people together in one place everyone gets that caged in feeling and it becomes every man for himself..almost survival mode.Which in turn just pisses everyone off.Hence the LI bashing.
I have been doing business and living here a very long time.Ive watched my neiborhoods deteriorate and get over crowded in a matter of a few years and I realize now that the quality of life on LI is not the one I am looking for,but that is me.People need to decide what they really want before they start complaining.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
skiing? minutes away?
LOL,,yeah I caught that too!

Even if I had money to live in Muttontown, Beltair, or even East Hampton, I wouldnt move back! Its the people, they live in a world of there own. IMHO the only thing NY has going for it is Manhattan, todays Manhattan, not Manhattan 20+ years ago!! And talking about expensive, L.I. could hold a candle to the price of living in the city!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Ok skiing not minutes away... GEEZ
But close nonetheless

Yes I completely understand the frustrations. I fear that when my children grow up they will have such a terrible time trying to buy a home or live comfortably.. but I fear that everywhere. LI is rough and it really is scary for the people who HAD to leave. It's awful.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 53,978 times
I am new to these boards and i will tell you that i have read a lot of negative things then +ive things. a lot of this stuff is coming from 2 or 3 people who seem to be in every LI thread that i open. there is this guy who is supposedly going to or his girlfriend is going to stoney brook and thats the reason why he is in LIsland and bashing the place.

i will tell you that i have seen and looked at a lot of places around NYC area. the only thing i am not familiar is NJ. i am a NY kinda guy and i will tell you that LIsland for what i have seen is a very good place. the traffic is all over the place and if you are only going to travel during the rush hour then offcourse you are going to run into traffic. i drive all day long, most of it in westchester county, fairfield, bronx etc, the traffic is just as bad as i have experienced in nassau county. and high taxes, $8000 is not high taxes. try sending your kid or kids to a private school.

i dont think a lot of these people who are bashing LI have ever gone and lived else where in and around NYC.

most of these people are here also seems to be taking the demographic change a lot harder. they do not realize that change is inevitable. i have read people griping about asians of any descent. come on now!

on one of the LI threads i read some one refer to darwins theory. i will tell you that i 100% agree with it. its survival of the fittest. if you can afford it then you will move to expensive areas and if you cant then stop bitching about it and move to some place affordable. try north carolina. i am sure that people who can afford it must have worked hard or have made some sound financial decisions that they can pay the supposedly high taxes. i know i have worked hard, my wife has worked hard, 16 hours a day and even weekends. we even waited to have kids for 8 years after our marriage beacuse there was a certain type of environment that we wanted to provide and we wanted to make sure that we can do it. we are going to move to herricks school system in about a month or so and so far what i have seen of LI is that its a mixed population area with affordable housing, low crime in most areas, a county police that keeps an eye on DWI drivers and keep the roads safe, people who are mostly courteous, clean areas, and excellent food.

however, for people who complain about high pricing and high taxes:

you havent seen high taxes. try moving to westchester and the taxes in decent areas start at around $11000. the same house that goes for $400000 in nassau county goes for about $600000 in westcehster. rockland is same with commute. farifield, out of reach within that range. putnam, dutchess and orange counties are affrodable but taxes are no less.schools systems that compare with herricks do not have houses in $400000 range, may be coops on 8th floor but no houses, they start at around $525000 and need another $100,000 worth of work. so please stop complaining and start working hard.

stop complaining about people of other ethnicities or cultures or matter of fact immigrants. think about it, they come here work their tushi's off and make something for their future. they may not have had the privlages that you have had, may not have had access to a good education system but they still succeed. so the questions is not whats wrong with them, question is that whats wrong with you? if they can succeed then why can't you?
if they can open buisnesses then why cant you? if they drive taxis, clean laundry or anything of that nature, then whats wrong with it? it is hard work, its very hard work.

so stop complaining, put your mind to it, work hard and party hard but save some money and invest. real estate in and around NYC is something you cant go wrong with. i miss not buying the $350000 house 4 years ago, i am paying $550000 for a similar house. doesnt matter how much terrorism, nuclear weapons or threats exist in the world, NYC is going no where. so invest now. if you dont have money, then get together with friends and invest. as long you have everything spelled on a piece of paper, partnerships last long time.

and foremost:
STOP BASHING lONG ISLAND.

your truely,

long islander to be in one month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island