Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,838 times

Advertisements

I agree with azzurrony. If a reliable inspector is able to pass the addition, having no COs is not a big deal. Few banks are thorough in their homework concering COs, and the savings in taxes will pay for the CO many times over in a few years. A lot of homes I looked at last year had atleast one 'illegal' addition - finished basement without a CO, bathroom without a CO, deck without a CO etc.. and the homeowners clearly told me that they did not want to get a CO for the deck since they were afraid their taxes will go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
C of O's are generally money making machines for the Town or Village. It's a scam for the most part unless you are talking about a complicated electrical wiring system or a major structural extension.

If someone had a licensed plumber put in a nice bathroom without a permit, maybe they did so to avoid major property tax increases. Not every renovation without a CO was done to scam people.

I'm not a CO Nazi. I think if you like the house and you plan on staying there for a long long time, then have a qualified inspector take a look at the work. If it is sound, then don't worry about the CO's. You'll have a nice house without all the tax headaches.

Now, if you think your bank will nitpick an extra bathroom, then fine, you might want to move on. But if not, I'd consider the house.
How can you tell if the bank will nitpick or not?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
If it's an FHA loan - be prepared for nitpicking!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 PM

75 posts, read 292,543 times
Another problem is time. It will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get the CO approved if everything is done to code. Most banks will not make the loan unless the CO is in place, so it may take 2-4 months for the whole process. The current homeowner also needs to be the one to apply for the CO's and if they are not willing to start the process, there is nothing you can do. You can't make repairs to a house that you don't own yet. So you would have to draw up contracts to ensure that you are not getting ripped off for any repairs that need to be made. I had a similar decision to make about a house that I had an accepted offer on, and I decided to walk away. Too many unnecessary headaches.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap190 View Post
Another problem is time. It will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get the CO approved if everything is done to code. Most banks will not make the loan unless the CO is in place, so it may take 2-4 months for the whole process. The current homeowner also needs to be the one to apply for the CO's and if they are not willing to start the process, there is nothing you can do. You can't make repairs to a house that you don't own yet. So you would have to draw up contracts to ensure that you are not getting ripped off for any repairs that need to be made. I had a similar decision to make about a house that I had an accepted offer on, and I decided to walk away. Too many unnecessary headaches.
A good expediter familiar with the local Town can cut down the time, but it won't happen overnight...

In this lending environment, COs (or the lack thereof) can break deals

Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
Quote:
C of O's are generally money making machines for the Town or Village. It's a scam for the most part unless you are talking about a complicated electrical wiring system or a major structural extension.

If someone had a licensed plumber put in a nice bathroom without a permit, maybe they did so to avoid major property tax increases. Not every renovation without a CO was done to scam people.

I'm not a CO Nazi. I think if you like the house and you plan on staying there for a long long time, then have a qualified inspector take a look at the work. If it is sound, then don't worry about the CO's. You'll have a nice house without all the tax headaches.

Now, if you think your bank will nitpick an extra bathroom, then fine, you might want to move on. But if not, I'd consider the house.
The problem with this approach is that once you close it is your problem. When you go to sell, the next buyer may not be as forgiving as you and then it will be up to you to get the CO. In today's market, there is absolutely no reason to buy a home that is not completely legal.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:58 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The problem with this approach is that once you close it is your problem. When you go to sell, the next buyer may not be as forgiving as you and then it will be up to you to get the CO. In today's market, there is absolutely no reason to buy a home that is not completely legal.
Tom,

I definitely understand this. That's why I said my approach works when you are going to be there for the long haul. The amount you will save in taxes (plus the time value of money) in the long term will more than make up for some potential headaches down the road. And, I say "potential" because the lending market may look very different in 20 years and may not be as picky.

Again, this approach is for relatively modest work...a finished basement, an extra bathroom, an upgraded electric box, etc. I wouldn't recommend this if there is a major extension that doesn't have a C of O.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,228 times
Quote:
Tom,

I definitely understand this. That's why I said my approach works when you are going to be there for the long haul. The amount you will save in taxes (plus the time value of money) in the long term will more than make up for some potential headaches down the road. And, I say "potential" because the lending market may look very different in 20 years and may not be as picky.

Again, this approach is for relatively modest work...a finished basement, an extra bathroom, an upgraded electric box, etc. I wouldn't recommend this if there is a major extension that doesn't have a C of O.
The lending market will only become more onerous as time passes due to the numerous banking regulations being proposed/passed. The wild west syndrome that occurred in the past five years will not be forgotten by bankers. Bankers want their money back!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
From my personal experience....
Unless you know exactly what the unconditional CO is for and what is involved.... ask the seller to get it for you before you close (make sure you make it time sensitive so that they expedite it).
You will know if they are ready for it or not. If they refuse, then move on.... do not be pulled into the house so early in the process.

Couple of points.... they will not get the CO unless they have to, so it will be tough to tell them to get the CO before going under contract. What the heck, if they still agree, then its good for you.
Also, be prepared to lose some sleep and add some processing time to your home purchase timeline if you do decide to go under contract. This is especially true when it comes to rate locks and mortgage commitments expiring....

My .02 cents.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,002 times
Getting a house without a co is not easy to get rid of it later. Do not buy a property that is not legal. If you do buy the house, then you inherit a problem and the house must be sold for cash only. It's great not to pay taxes and live in a bigeer house, but why would you buy a house that is not legal? Why would you take over the seller's responsibility. If after all is said and done, you still want the house, make sure you let the seller know that you are aware of the problem and to lower his price since you are going to end up with his problems. Call the architect, he'll tell you how much is going to cost. Then you can make up your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island