U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,054,436 times
It's good to see a Dem crash and burn.
A small taste of what the 2010 election results are going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 PM

13,665 posts, read 6,932,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post

If anything I think this was a wake up for Dems to get out there and voter. When it came down to it horrid Dem turnout is what won Mangano this election. Mangano only received a few thousand more votes than Peterson did in 05.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Finally! Suozzi is gone and so is Mejias (a vote for Mejias is a vote for Mexico).

Typical John race baiting there.... So instead of Mejias we get someone who in addition to his six figure a year pension of taxpayer $$$ also took a $437,000 payout of taxpayer $$$ when he left the force...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

953 posts, read 1,305,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If anything I think this was a wake up for Dems to get out there and voter. When it came down to it horrid Dem turnout is what won Mangano this election. Mangano only received a few thousand more votes than Peterson did in 05.
To be fair Smash, if Suozzi hadn't put Hansen up to run as the Conservative Party candidate and draw votes away, Mangano would have really run away with this.

At this point, let's all put our support behind Ed and hope to see some significant changes at the County level.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
To be fair Smash, if Suozzi hadn't put Hansen up to run as the Conservative Party candidate and draw votes away, Mangano would have really run away with this.

At this point, let's all put our support behind Ed and hope to see some significant changes at the County level.
Even if the vast majority of those votes would have gone for Mangano, its still only a 2 or 3% race. Also keep in mind in 05 Bruno who ran on the conservative line had a very similar vote total Hansen had this year. Overall turnout was down about 16% from 05, with the bulk of the drop coming from heavily Democratic areas.

BTW, what changes do you think Mangano can realistically make especially considering the breakdown of where the taxes actually go?? (which was shown in another thread)

Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,880,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I did like Suozzi's plan on making 'cool' downtowns for the different villages/hamlets in the county. I have no idea how he was planning to make it a reality for places like Hicksville.. and for that matter, Hempstead.
Same here, I think it was a great idea but marketed terribly. If Suozzi could have sold Nassau on new urbanism, he would have easily made up those extra 500 votes he needed - but A) the whole thing only came about late in his second term and B) never got very far past a few poorly chosen buzzwords. The nonsense over the Lighthouse project was a real bummer, I don't think it has any hope of getting done at this point.

As far as the right vs. left BS I actually don't think the majority of voters on Long Island swear by the party lines. I couldn't care less, most of my friends are the same. Save that garbage for The Schwartz Report. I voted for several Republicans in this election, but I feel like Mangano has been full of it from the get-go. He's promising tax reform where there can't possibly be any. We've had threads on here recently that go extremely in depth into explaining how the county exec can't possibly effect taxes on any more than a trivial scale. A smart campaign but one that can't possibly fulfill it's promises...

But who knows, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. He could secretely be sitting on all these brilliant ideas and smart enough to have kept his mouth shut while solely appealing to our most basic sensibilities. I guess we'll have a better idea of where this is going in a couple years.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Same here, I think it was a great idea but marketed terribly. If Suozzi could have sold Nassau on new urbanism, he would have easily made up those extra 500 votes he needed - but A) the whole thing only came about late in his second term and B) never got very far past a few poorly chosen buzzwords. The nonsense over the Lighthouse project was a real bummer, I don't think it has any hope of getting done at this point.

As far as the right vs. left BS I actually don't think the majority of voters on Long Island swear by the party lines. I couldn't care less, most of my friends are the same. Save that garbage for The Schwartz Report. I voted for several Republicans in this election, but I feel like Mangano has been full of it from the get-go. He's promising tax reform where there can't possibly be any. We've had threads on here recently that go extremely in depth into explaining how the county exec can't possibly effect taxes on any more than a trivial scale. A smart campaign but one that can't possibly fulfill it's promises...

But who knows, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. He could secretely be sitting on all these brilliant ideas and smart enough to have kept his mouth shut while solely appealing to our most basic sensibilities. I guess we'll have a better idea of where this is going in a couple years.

Agreed. Other than not getting out in front of the Lighthouse project a bit earlier I think two things really hurt Suozzi (and they are a bit intertwined) He took the race for granted, thought he would win in a cakewalk (which basically everyone did) and as a result of that didn't do much to fire up the Dem base which is evident in turnout.

The other thing which basically feeds off his taking the race for granted was simply not challenging Mangano enough. He really needed to challenge Mangano on where he was going to make the cuts he promised and forced him to be specific If he does that Suozzi likely wins.

Now, while I did vote for Suozzi, I wish Mangano the best and want him to do a good job. However, as you stated based on the in depth analysis of the tax breakdowns we had in another thread, what Mangano has proposed basically seems impossible from a logistical standpoint. If he manages to do it, great, more power to him, but I don't see how it is possible, the math just isn't there.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 AM

938 posts, read 962,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Typical John race baiting there.... So instead of Mejias we get someone who in addition to his six figure a year pension of taxpayer $$$ also took a $437,000 payout of taxpayer $$$ when he left the force...
You just can't let it go. Belesi is your new legislator. Done. Over. Live with it.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM

163 posts, read 197,854 times
I think Souzzi took LI for granted. I mean it was no secret he treated LI like his stepping stone to higher office, and he just figured that since Republicans had brought us to brink of financial ruin, that there was no real threat to his re-election. Being passive in this economic climate is not an option.

As for Mangano, I agree with what other posters have said, we will have to wait and see, and hope for the best. I just feel personally that he is not going to be able to address the problems at the source, because was part of creating the problem in the first place and will be aligned with those interests (Just like our federal treasury being run by ex Goldman Sach employees, we see how well that worked out). My gut tells me he will try to find $$ by cutting programs to the lower classes/poor, because he can't raise middle class taxes without a revolt and he will won't be able to cut the bloated public sector which he helped create. So John in Westbury will be really be screwed now....

The Belisi thing I don't get. If voters are so outraged by high taxes, how they you vote in a guy who walked away with half a million from the county coffers and is still collecting 100k a year! Talk about the gang that could not shoot straight!

If anyone should have kicked out to the curb, it should have been the two Democrats that voted for the MTA, Small business payroll tax (Craig Johnson and Brian Foley). I'm not sure if they were up for re-election, but that legislation was a crime. I'm sure there are plenty of small business that have nothing to do with MTA and now they are stuck with this stupid tax to help pay for MTA's poor management.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,028,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I will never understand this perspective. I was VERY anti-Bush, and not shy about that, but over the years I have always voted person first, party second. I have voted Republican and Democrat in recent elections. So when I come across folks so bias one way or the other, especially in an area like Long Island/NY State where both parties have a clear record of stealing money hand over fist from both sides of the aisle I often wonder if folks realize that even their "chosen" party is likely screwing them just as much as the other one did...

I apologize if that seemed combative. I do have a question though. In my experience, amongst friends and family, the Republicans (anecdotally speaking) are always very adamant that they simply look for the "R" and throw the lever...I have found some similar attitudes on the left, but in my experience, I have spoken to more Democrats that vote person first, party second. What do others think? Also, when can we get a rational third party...I would call it the "Normal Middle" party. I realize the Mods might get me for getting political, but my question stems from the idea that Long Island Republicans and Democrats are about 1% different for the most part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island