U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM

13,787 posts, read 7,032,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
This is the funniest comment on these boards in a while. Let's break it down.

So, you have to torture yourself with FOUR 12 hour shifts in a given week in order to make 150k. That's 48 hours a week. You do know that's a normal workshift for just about anyone in the private sector. 150k for 48 hours a week is nothing short of robbery.

I'm also tired of the "danger" element that gets overblown all the time. If someone can please point me to on the job death statistics of NCPD, I'd appreciate it. You aren't policing the projects of New Orleans. You are in Nassau County. "Danger" is a relative term.
I think you quoted the wrong post
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,922,650 times
Quote:
This is the funniest comment on these boards in a while. Let's break it down.

So, you have to torture yourself with FOUR 12 hour shifts in a given week in order to make 150k. That's 48 hours a week. You do know that's a normal workshift for just about anyone in the private sector. 150k for 48 hours a week is nothing short of robbery.

I'm also tired of the "danger" element that gets overblown all the time. If someone can please point me to on the job death statistics of NCPD, I'd appreciate it. You aren't policing the projects of New Orleans. You are in Nassau County. "Danger" is a relative term.
I've read a few times where studies were done on a national level and "police officer" routinely came back as one of the safest professions. If I'm remembering correctly, anything related to food delivery or late night retail clerk were by far the most dangerous....

However being a NCPD officer is likely the SAFEST JOB IN THE COUNTRY and I've got the statistics to back it up!

The Nassau County Police Department was formed in 1925.

Since then, 29 NCPD officers have perished on the job.

Of those 29, 12 were killed by automobile accidents, 3 by motorcycle....

...of those 15 accidents, 3 involved drunk drivers....

3 officers accidentally shot themselves with their service weapon...

1 died in a helicopter crash, another 1 tripped on a curb and fell the wrong way on his head...

2 officers were killed during vehicular pursuits, 1 suffered a heart attack a few days after being punched in the chest on a domestic disturbance call...

And finally, 7 NCPD officers were killed by non-accidental gunfire in the line of duty, although it hasn't happened since 1975. That equals 10 non-accidental deaths in the 84 year history of the department. No NCPD officers have died on the job since 1993.

All info from this website.

No disrespect to these poor, unfortunate souls who gave their lives while serving Nassau County residents.....but seriously, anybody who believes this whole "THEY COULD TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT!!!" schtick is a real sucker. This is obviously one of (if not THE) safest jobs in the country. There have been at least 2,500 police officers on the NCPD force at any given time since the early 1950s, with a peak of over 4,000 in the early 70s. I can't do the math exactly, but wearing a badge in Nassau gives you about a 0.000001% chance of meeting your maker in uniform

The contracts are absurd, no question.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,282,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I've read a few times where studies were done on a national level and "police officer" routinely came back as one of the safest professions. If I'm remembering correctly, anything related to food delivery or late night retail clerk were by far the most dangerous....

However being a NCPD officer is likely the SAFEST JOB IN THE COUNTRY and I've got the statistics to back it up!

The Nassau County Police Department was formed in 1925.

Since then, 29 NCPD officers have perished on the job.

Of those 29, 12 were killed by automobile accidents, 3 by motorcycle....

...of those 15 accidents, 3 involved drunk drivers....

3 officers accidentally shot themselves with their service weapon...

1 died in a helicopter crash, another 1 tripped on a curb and fell the wrong way on his head...

2 officers were killed during vehicular pursuits, 1 suffered a heart attack a few days after being punched in the chest on a domestic disturbance call...

And finally, 7 NCPD officers were killed by non-accidental gunfire in the line of duty, although it hasn't happened since 1975. That equals 10 non-accidental deaths in the 84 year history of the department. No NCPD officers have died on the job since 1993.

All info from this website.

No disrespect to these poor, unfortunate souls who gave their lives while serving Nassau County residents.....but seriously, anybody who believes this whole "THEY COULD TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT!!!" schtick is a real sucker. This is obviously one of (if not THE) safest jobs in the country. There have been at least 2,500 police officers on the NCPD force at any given time since the early 1950s, with a peak of over 4,000 in the early 70s. I can't do the math exactly, but wearing a badge in Nassau gives you about a 0.000001% chance of meeting your maker in uniform

The contracts are absurd, no question.
This ought to be its own thread.

Heres suffolks too.

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 24
Automobile accident: 6
Bomb: 1
Exposure to toxins: 1
Fall: 1
Gunfire: 4
Gunfire (Accidental): 1
Heart attack: 3
Motorcycle accident: 2
Vehicle pursuit: 1
Vehicular assault: 4

I bet there are other blue collar jobs that are even less safe than that.

Crooks

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM

2,846 posts, read 5,922,650 times
Dude I guarantee you there are some white collar jobs that are more dangerous!

Maybe one of the mods can move the cop posts to a new thread? This is a pretty morbid topic and I can already hear the PBA contingent on here accusing us of being heartless, callous bastards for "putting a pricetag on human life"...but isn't that the same exact rationale behind the other side of this debate that claims the absurd police compensation on LI is at least partly justified by the cops "putting their lives on the line"??

Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 1,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
This ought to be its own thread.

Heres suffolks too.

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 24
Automobile accident: 6
Bomb: 1
Exposure to toxins: 1
Fall: 1
Gunfire: 4
Gunfire (Accidental): 1
Heart attack: 3
Motorcycle accident: 2
Vehicle pursuit: 1
Vehicular assault: 4

I bet there are other blue collar jobs that are even less safe than that.

Crooks
I get paid for what I might have to do. I run into trouble while you run away from it, scared for your life. The lack of fatalities is a good thing and just proves our training and skill set is superior to the average citizin. Get over what I make and pay your tax bill sir.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 AM

953 posts, read 1,314,831 times
Sorry...I did quote the wrong post.

Sean,

Thanks for those statistics. The lack of danger is even more pronounced than I thought. I probably have more of a risk of getting killed going to the store than I would as a NC police officer.

I believe these mortality statistics should be part of a separate thread where we candidly talk about the "danger" of being in the NCPD.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
and this is the most ignorant post to date on the forums
Exactly, this neanderthall probably has a record and can't get on the force, that's why he's so anti-cop. Obey the law buddy!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotskillzudont View Post
Listen, all of you jealous whiners need to remember 1 thing:

When you call 911, do you want me to show up ASAP and in a good mood? Or do you want it to be like in NYC where the police are treated like garbage and many don't care about the residents?

Keeping the police happy means a safe and well looked over neighborhood for everyone. That's the society we should strive for at all costs. To be honest, I don't think I'm paid enough for what I do for you ungrateful people. And now I have to put up with this crap? And see you perps bash my profession? Yea that's some thanks I get for helping YOU!

Keep in mind Mr. White Collar, your pen doesn't shoot at you. Your desk doesn't get drunk and run you over. You don't miss holidays and birthdays because you are stuck locking up a drunk who decided to plow into a minivan full of kids. The grass is always greener, isn't it? If anyone has a problem with what I'm paid, strap on a vest and take a ride with me for a day. I suggest bringing a 2nd pair of underwear.
Dude,

I know you got mad skillz. All we be sayin is that there are plenty of other dudes with some skillz who might kick azz for less.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotskillzudont View Post
Exactly, this neanderthall probably has a record and can't get on the force, that's why he's so anti-cop. Obey the law buddy!
Yo G. I aint anti-cop. I'm anti-pig.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yo G. I aint anti-cop. I'm anti-pig.
Just obey the law, and stop being an azz, got it son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island