U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 PM

959 posts, read 1,361,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I do not think it is jealousy as much as it is frustration. You should try to look at it from the point iof view of the for-profit worker taxpayer (who by the way pays for all civil servant worker compensation and benefits) - you have a job where there is virtually no risk of losing it, your healthcare is paid for, your pension is free and the average compensation of a cop is well above the LI median for non-civil servant workers. My hat is off to you and your union for getting the benefits you do but trying to defend them using arguments based on skill set, risks of the job or economic grounds is pretty futile. The one and only reason you have the contract you do is due to political expediency.
Best post in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,728,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL, he lives in Rocky Point..he contributes to the rising crime rate.

Wut?

Hello random.

Lol ; )

Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM

15,752 posts, read 16,326,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL, he lives in Rocky Point..he contributes to the rising crime rate.
Are you referring to crookhaven's still up thar in them hills of Rocky Point?

His moonshine is the best!

Who say he gots no skillz?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM

15,752 posts, read 16,326,864 times
Default Get some Steven Seagal skillz and we will think better of the paycheck ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotskillzudont View Post
Each and every one of you had the ability to take the test. Some of you did and failed. Others moved on and failed the poly, the psych, or the background check. Others were too fat to do any push-ups or sit-ups. Don't blame the average cop for your own failings.

The fact is we are your only line of defense against criminals and low-lifes. Isn't it a good investment to pay for a good defense?
If you can shoot the head off a match like Steven Seagal I will give you some creedence there. Even shoot the head off a q-tip, okay?

But I bet you can't do anything near that. Nor his martial arts skillz. Especially not his people skillz, as made apparent by your posts. Certainly not his professionalism skillz and dedication, that's for sure!

I wonder how much Steven Seagal gets paid in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Probably a lot less than patrol cops on LI with no special skillz at all!!!

He's been on the force there for twenty years, so this is NOT just a recently cooked up reality TV show.

Steven Seagal Lawman - A&E TV

I want ALL of you to have Steven Seagal level skillz for the money we are paying or get out! Let's change that test ASAP and base it on Steven Seagal! Then you are worth the money! Aside from that, your skillz are mediocre at best, pal.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM

607 posts, read 582,813 times
Quote:
Each and every one of you had the ability to take the test. Some of you did and failed. Others moved on and failed the poly, the psych, or the background check. Others were too fat to do any push-ups or sit-ups. Don't blame the average cop for your own failings.

The fact is we are your only line of defense against criminals and low-lifes. Isn't it a good investment to pay for a good defense?
You are personalizing what is primarily a systemic issue that is fundamentally political. My argument can be applied to teachers, park workers, etc... not only cops. The real issue is while family median income in the US has shown very tepid growth over the past decade the non-profit workers (primarily gov and municipal workers) have seen a steady increase in overall compensation.

I'll bet you never really sat down and thought about where the money comes from so you can get paid.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:39 PM

292 posts, read 449,520 times
Quote:
What I've noticed is those people that b*tch and complain about the police tend to be perps or people who couldn't score high enough on the test.

Outside of cops and their families, that's pretty much everyone on Long Island ...highly unlikely that everyone on the island has taken the test.

And you're wrong. People don't hate cops. They hate cops with the attitude that you have. If you are trying to represent your brothers, you aren't doing a very good job. I'd love to see other cops' reactions this thread...but unfortunately I'm not sure they'd be embarrassed enough.

People should be cops because they want to serve and protect. You're well-overdone - time to retire, take your millions and move somewhere else. Personally I'd hate to encounter YOU in a time of need.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,728,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you referring to crookhaven's still up thar in them hills of Rocky Point?

His moonshine is the best!

Who say he gots no skillz?

Im still lost but Coooter and I have been known for runnin' 'shine to Hicksville.

Crooks

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM

959 posts, read 1,361,675 times
Why is the NCPD exam being glorified as some sort of real test here? High school grads and college drop outs take this test. We aren't talking about the NY Bar Exam or State Medical Boards here.

I've seen a sample of the test. It's part reading comprehension, part reasoning, and then some feel good questions. It really is a piece of cake. The fact that some cops actually brag about passing it is humiliating for them.

Cops should just be gracious that they were able to swindle the politicians in Nassau enough to get on the gravy train. Unfortunately, some are not.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 4,771,366 times
The original purpose of unions is looooooooooooong gone.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,323,275 times
Yahooooo!!!! I couldn't stand that arrogant, self centered, egotistical, Liberal jerk. Good riddance to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island