Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My brother is in the middle of divorce case. My brother wants to settle this case peaceful with his wife and move on. But his lawyer keep telling him that he should do some thing else and lawyer keeps trying to take more money by extending the case.

He can fire the lawyer now but does he need to hire another one. He doesn't want to hire any more lawyers. He just wants to settle the case and move on with his life.

What is the procedure? Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

My brother is in the middle of divorce case. My brother wants to settle this case peaceful with his wife and move on. But his lawyer keep telling him that he should do some thing else and lawyer keeps trying to take more money by extending the case.

He can fire the lawyer now but does he need to hire another one. He doesn't want to hire any more lawyers. He just wants to settle the case and move on with his life.

What is the procedure? Please advice.
"i don't need your services anymore, thank you"

Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times
He can say he doesn't need the lawyer service any more to the current lawyer but then to settle the case peaceful, does he need to hire another one? Or what is the procedure there?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Put on his Donald Trump wig, point his finger at the guy and say...
"you're fired".

Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM

629 posts, read 962,046 times
My wife is a divorce attorney and she told me the following -

If his wife has a lawyer, she doesn't recommend getting rid of his lawyer and doing the case by himself.

If that's not the case, then she says you can just write a letter to your lawyer letting him know that you do not need his services anymore. Or, the attorney may need to do a motion to be relieved, if the case is already in court.

You do not need to hire a new one.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
I'd grind it out with representation. Some states offer an easier road to disolve a marriage, binding arbitration, no fault divorces, etc. I have heard NY is one of the few states that does not allow for no fault divorces. Too risky to go alone.

I have no legal background or first hand divorce experience so realize my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
My wife is a divorce attorney and she told me the following -
Did she charge you for the consultation?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
If there's no kids and it they can agree on things, they should look into a mediator (much cheaper). That's what my sister did and it worked out great.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 PM

28 posts, read 74,059 times
I'll second Corky and suggest a mediator. If your brother thinks that his soon to be ex-wife is willing to resolve it amicably, a mediator can be a godsend. Just make sure they specialize in Divorce Mediation and have enough experience. If there are hurt emotions and anger involved, a mediator will probably not be very helpful.

As far as firing the lawyer, all clients have the basic right of terminating legal representation at any time with or without cause. He should put it in writing as a letter, but it doesn't have to be more complicated than "I no longer need your legal services and am terminating your representation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island