U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM

13,930 posts, read 3,244,869 times
Default Need a Gas Boiler Maint Contract -- Nat Grid Failed

I have a one year old boiler. Last Friday, the boiler was flashing an error code and I had no heat or hot water. I hit the reset button and it all came back until it went out again a few hours later. I called National Grid, that has my service contract, and I couldn't get an appointment before Monday. However, nobody was going to be home on Monday, so I scheduled it for Tuesday.

This is odd, because when I had oil from Slomins, Slomins would always have someone within a couple of hours on the first day. They were expensive but reliable.

When Keyspan ran the service, they also responded quickly for my A/C calls. Now that National Grid bought Keyspan, it seems that they must have cut jobs and the waits are much longer.

By Tuesday, I didn't even have hot water after a reset. I diagnosed the problem as bad circulator pump because the water in the boiler was hot, the water in the tank was cold and the pump was burning hot with a wire-burning smell. Anyway, the tech comes in while only my 18 yr old son is home and looks at it. All he seemed to do is turn down temp knob on the water tank and push reset -- what any moron could do. When I called when he was there he wouldn't talk to me. He seemed to be in a hurry to get out because he didn't even close the windows that he opened.

When I got home, the error code returned and there was no heat or hot water. I called Nat Grid and the best they could do in this emergency was to schedule something for the next day -- meaning that we won't have hot water until the next day.

I want to find another maintenance contractor. Any suggestions? National Grid service is just not reliable enough if on a not-so-cold-day they can't accommodate an emergence the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-01-2009, 05:23 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,212,783 times
I don't know where you would go for service. How many companies on LI service natural gas boilers if they don't sell the gas too?

Maybe you can luck out and find a person who used to work for KeySpan, etc.? Or someone who works for the gas provider in NYC who wants to earn money on the side?

People with oil heat can use their oil supplier or another one since there is competition allowed and plenty of contractors to choose from.

This is what happens when they let private companies have monopolies on things that are BASIC NECESSITIES such as:

Electricity
Gas
Water

Private companies should not be able to control those things and they should be public utilities.

PS: National Grid is an international company (European) and I hear the people overseas who have them also hate them.

PPS: This is why I am leary of changing to gas, even though it is cleaner, doesn't need deliveries, etc.

Unread 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM

292 posts, read 408,173 times
There are places that offer contracts. My parents had one thru a private company when they lived in Commack.

Start calling plumbers - that's your best bet.

Unread 12-01-2009, 09:42 PM

7,302 posts, read 8,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I have a one year old boiler. Last Friday, the boiler was flashing an error code and I had no heat or hot water. I hit the reset button and it all came back until it went out again a few hours later. I called National Grid, that has my service contract, and I couldn't get an appointment before Monday. However, nobody was going to be home on Monday, so I scheduled it for Tuesday.

This is odd, because when I had oil from Slomins, Slomins would always have someone within a couple of hours on the first day. They were expensive but reliable.

When Keyspan ran the service, they also responded quickly for my A/C calls. Now that National Grid bought Keyspan, it seems that they must have cut jobs and the waits are much longer.

By Tuesday, I didn't even have hot water after a reset. I diagnosed the problem as bad circulator pump because the water in the boiler was hot, the water in the tank was cold and the pump was burning hot with a wire-burning smell. Anyway, the tech comes in while only my 18 yr old son is home and looks at it. All he seemed to do is turn down temp knob on the water tank and push reset -- what any moron could do. When I called when he was there he wouldn't talk to me. He seemed to be in a hurry to get out because he didn't even close the windows that he opened.

When I got home, the error code returned and there was no heat or hot water. I called Nat Grid and the best they could do in this emergency was to schedule something for the next day -- meaning that we won't have hot water until the next day.

I want to find another maintenance contractor. Any suggestions? National Grid service is just not reliable enough if on a not-so-cold-day they can't accommodate an emergence the same day.
I'll send you a DM

Unread 12-02-2009, 07:14 AM

168 posts, read 170,123 times
Default Gas Boiler Contract

The seller on our house had it with Universe Appliance, they have offices in Seaford and Valley Stream, we have continued the service and are very happy so far, it's actually the same level of service that Keyspan offered, but cheaper!

Unread 12-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,142 times
Default Go Back to Slomin's

They do gas service and it looked like you were happy with them before....

Unread 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,684 times
Master Cooloing and Heating in Ronkonkoma installed and services most of the gas boilers in the Country Pointe community that I live in. Just information, not a rocomendation as I have never used them. I have no contract.

Unread 12-05-2009, 05:19 AM

339 posts, read 729,544 times
I do not know how good they are, but Slomins offers contracts on gas heating equipment. I agree that National Grid stinks (unless you are calling with a potential gas leak - they show up very quickly for that!).

Unread 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM

544 posts, read 522,106 times
I need a rec in the Huntington area- any suggestions?

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

7,302 posts, read 8,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I need a rec in the Huntington area- any suggestions?
I'll send you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island