Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 25,384 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are newlyweds and we've both lived on LI our whole lives and are looking to buy a starter house here. We did a search on mlsli.com and found these very affordable townhouses on Ethan Allen Court in Ridge. But now I'm hearing that it's a horrible area, which surprised me because I always thought Ridge was a nice, quiet community. Can anyone from Ridge (or the surrounding areas) tell me if this is true?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,338 times
Strathmore ridge off of smith rd in is a beacon of criminal activity ranging from gang activity, shootings, robberies, burglaries etc. in addition to section 8 housing. I would advise visiting it during the evening but I wouldn't want you to endanger yourself.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,099,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Strathmore ridge off of smith rd in is a beacon of criminal activity ranging from gang activity, shootings, robberies, burglaries etc. in addition to section 8 housing. I would advise visiting it during the evening but I wouldn't want you to endanger yourself.

Be afraid be very afraid.

Good town, but Ridge would be a much better place without Strathmore.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

270 posts, read 961,076 times
What's your price range? Why don't you try right around the corner in
Yaphank right off william floyd pkwy. colonial woods/whispering pines. We live
there now, its a very nice quiet community. I also think the condo/townhouses are bigger in our development.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,914,535 times
strathmore Ridge is NOT a god choice. Over the last 10 years most of the units were purchased by investors that split bedrooms in half to increase the amount they could charge as section 8 landlords. Now the whole strathmore ridge community is like a pimple on the but cheek of lovely, family friendly, quiet Ridge.
Some of the units are vacant and have been vandalized, others have way too many people living in them. I know the homeowners community has created a new rule that units cannot be sold to investors anymore. they have to be owner occupied from now on.
honestly, i have not heard of any robberies or shooting there in the 6 years I've been in Ridge. I just know its unsavory but very confined to that community.
There are some great small starter homes in the Lake Panamoka section of Ridge, try looking at those!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
strathmore Ridge is NOT a god choice. Over the last 10 years most of the units were purchased by investors that split bedrooms in half to increase the amount they could charge as section 8 landlords. Now the whole strathmore ridge community is like a pimple on the but cheek of lovely, family friendly, quiet Ridge.
Some of the units are vacant and have been vandalized, others have way too many people living in them. I know the homeowners community has created a new rule that units cannot be sold to investors anymore. they have to be owner occupied from now on.
honestly, i have not heard of any robberies or shooting there in the 6 years I've been in Ridge. I just know its unsavory but very confined to that community.
There are some great small starter homes in the Lake Panamoka section of Ridge, try looking at those!

Ill second that.

Stratmore is a very isolated situation in Ridge.

Panamoka is AOK

Crooks

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,914,535 times
check these listings out
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_...tart=1&rpp=100

you'd be my neighbor if you bought this house-the sellers already relocated out of state-they just lowered the price
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_...tart=1&rpp=100

Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 25,384 times
Wow thanks for the feedback everyone! We will certainly stay away from there. Our price range is up to 250K. We've also been looking in Rocky Point, Sound Beach, and North Patchogue.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APappa View Post
Wow thanks for the feedback everyone! We will certainly stay away from there. Our price range is up to 250K. We've also been looking in Rocky Point, Sound Beach, and North Patchogue.
Pass on North Patchogue.
(Schools are rough)

For 250K youre spot on in Sound Beach, Rocky Point and Ridge.
That would be my order too if schools are your priority.

Crooks

Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Pass on North Patchogue.
(Schools are rough)

For 250K youre spot on in Sound Beach, Rocky Point and Ridge.
That would be my order too if schools are your priority.

Crooks

Yep....sound beach is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island