Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I forgot about those guys...good point. Now if BNL would get a commissary we would be all set!
No shopping onsite - but there is a shuttle that takes residents offsite to do shopping. I think it goes to the shopping center that Khols is in just off Billy Floyd in Shirley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Anything near the lab can't be good. I do not care if it is north or south. I live in Yaphank and had the town pay for me to get city water due to the well being contaminated from what THEY said was from the lab. I do not know if anyone here knows this but they do a lot of serious stuff at that lab like splitting atoms and things like that so I am sure there is quite a bit of serious waste that comes out of there that I am sure nobody knows what is done with.

I used to read sciene magazines such as Scientific American, Discovery as well as some others and was always amazed by how many times Brookhaven National Laboratory is mentioned as having done some crazy experiments such as splitting atoms. I mention that again because the article was saying how they are one of only a few labs in the world that has a facility to do whatever experiment they were doing with split atoms.

People who live near it can make themselves feel better about their neighborhood by saying that contamination is going only north or south but I am sure that for who knows how many miles north, south, east and west, there are issues with contamination in the water, the ground and the air as well. To think that Ridge is not affected by anything because you want it to be a perfect little North Shore town seems a little naive and buys right into what the town of Brookhaven would like the people that live there and in other neighborhoods in the area to believe.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Anything near the lab can't be good. I do not care if it is north or south. I live in Yaphank and had the town pay for me to get city water due to the well being contaminated from what THEY said was from the lab. I do not know if anyone here knows this but they do a lot of serious stuff at that lab like splitting atoms and things like that so I am sure there is quite a bit of serious waste that comes out of there that I am sure nobody knows what is done with.

I used to read sciene magazines such as Scientific American, Discovery as well as some others and was always amazed by how many times Brookhaven National Laboratory is mentioned as having done some crazy experiments such as splitting atoms. I mention that again because the article was saying how they are one of only a few labs in the world that has a facility to do whatever experiment they were doing with split atoms.

People who live near it can make themselves feel better about their neighborhood by saying that contamination is going only north or south but I am sure that for who knows how many miles north, south, east and west, there are issues with contamination in the water, the ground and the air as well. To think that Ridge is not affected by anything because you want it to be a perfect little North Shore town seems a little naive and buys right into what the town of Brookhaven would like the people that live there and in other neighborhoods in the area to believe.

I've discussed this a few times so don't feel like getting too involved (Plus, I type rather poorly). I agree with you to a point but there really isn't evidence to suggest the lab had much of an impact on surrounding areas.
Ridge, Shoreham,Wading River and parts of Manorville are in line between The Lab and the Nuclear Plant, thus it's silly to think one area is "More affected" than another.
There are no health specific problems in N Shirley, or Ridge, to suggest living there is a bad thing.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I've discussed this a few times so don't feel like getting too involved (Plus, I type rather poorly). I agree with you to a point but there really isn't evidence to suggest the lab had much of an impact on surrounding areas.
Ridge, Shoreham,Wading River and parts of Manorville are in line between The Lab and the Nuclear Plant, thus it's silly to think one area is "More affected" than another.
There are no health specific problems in N Shirley, or Ridge, to suggest living there is a bad thing.
I do not think the area is unlivable but I believe to think that it has not been affected at all by the lab is wishful thinking especially since it affected my well water in Yaphank which is a considerable distance further.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I do not think the area is unlivable but I believe to think that it has not been affected at all by the lab is wishful thinking especially since it affected my well water in Yaphank which is a considerable distance further.

Logical but like I said, there is no evidence to suggest any problems.
Many people have this same thought but it just doesn't pan out. You will not find cancer clusters, birth defects or any other medical problems in N Shirley, Yaphank or Ridge. At least not more than what is considered "Normal".
Conversely, many "Desirable" areas have health issues related to environmental situations. Do a google search on the north shore of LI.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:04 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
A lot of the contamination found far from the lab is often the results of activies during the Camp Upton days.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Logical but like I said, there is no evidence to suggest any problems.
Many people have this same thought but it just doesn't pan out. You will not find cancer clusters, birth defects or any other medical problems in N Shirley, Yaphank or Ridge. At least not more than what is considered "Normal".
Conversely, many "Desirable" areas have health issues related to environmental situations. Do a google search on the north shore of LI.

But you will find an enormous amount of people who wont buy there out of common sense. Kinda like folks avoid homes near power lines.

Just becuase you cant prove somethings unsafe yet....doesent make it safe.

I'll sum it up for again you Zilla, poop rolls down hill.

Theres a reason why BNL scientists chose to raise their families in Shoreham (Potential Nuke reactor 'n all) over Shirley.
They must know something we dont know, and thats good enough for me.

Good luck on the resale...see you soon.
; )

Crooks

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
But you will find an enormous amount of people who wont buy there out of common sense. Kinda like folks avoid homes near power lines.

Just becuase you cant prove somethings unsafe yet....doesent make it safe.

I'll sum it up for again you Zilla, poop rolls down hill.

Theres a reason why BNL scientists chose to raise their families in Shoreham (Potential Nuke reactor 'n all) over Shirley.
They must know something we dont know, and thats good enough for me.

Good luck on the resale...see you soon.
; )

Crooks

Your post doesn't make much sense.
You claim enormous amounts of people won't "Buy there". Where?? What housing are you referring to? There is no residential land until you get to Moriches Middle Island Road (South) and there is a huge buffer to the North as well. BNL sits on many acres of land. You couldn't "Buy there" if you wanted to. Unless you are referring to N Shirley? In that case, you would be completely incorrect as N Shirley experienced nothing but population growth the last 20 years. Center Moriches now runs in to N Shirley whereas years ago there was a buffer between them. Thousands of homes have been sold and resold so I have no idea what you're talking about. Unless you are saying enormous amounts of people don't want to live in N shirley? In that case, I can't prove you wrong (Other than noting the thousands of homes bought and sold there) but you are taking gateway drugs if you believe people don't want to live in N shirley BECAUSE of BNL. That's rediculous, they don't want to live in N Shirley because it's N Shirley-period. I don't want to live there either, so I don't.
Furtheremore, just west of the lab is another new residential area with what were 600-700K homes, all within walking distance of BNL.

Your comment regarding safe and unsafe is....interesting. As discussed previously, the land at BNL has been abused for sure, yet there is no health related issues. That's a fact. Things are safe or they are unsafe. That's kind of obvious.

All of the BNL scientist live in shoreham? Where, prey tell, did you come up with that one? How the F do you know this? It's funny because I went to school with the children of these scientists and you know where they lived? RIGHT ON THE GROUNDS OF BNL.

Have no idea what you mean by "Good luck with the resale". I do not live near BNL. I don't live in Ridge, I don't live in N Shirley and I don't live in Middle Island nor Yaphank. Also, I'm not selling a house (Though I am considering buying another). Unless you mean people from N Shirley can't sell their homes? Not true as noted twice above. Lot's & Lots of houses sitting in Shoreham too. I guess people don't like 27% tax increases afterall.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
A lot of the contamination found far from the lab is often the results of activies during the Camp Upton days.

What was camp upton doing to the environment?
I assume they were not burying radioactive material in the ground like BNL Was.

I suggest everyone google LI Superfund sites and do some reading. You will be very surprised how abused LI was for many years. Ever wonder why there's a huge parcel of land just off the LIE in Syosset that's been sitting there for years and years right in the heart of a very desirable neighborhood? Lots of doctors and lawyers live right next to it too.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Theres a reason why BNL scientists chose to raise their families in Shoreham (Potential Nuke reactor 'n all) over Shirley. Crooks
Would that be the Village of Shoreham or the Hamlet of East Shoreham?

From eyeballing the map, it appears that the Hamlet of East Shoreham is about 8X or so the area of the Village of Shoreham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island