Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM

264 posts, read 878,312 times

Advertisements

Two currently apply to me- and likely three.
(Everything except the teacher and police officer stuff...)

For those who complain about L.I, remember the grass is usually greener on the other side.
I lived in North Carolina for two years.
The public school education is infinitely better on Long Island. Sure, many areas in North Carolina offer massive magnet/gifted programs for free (my fiancee attended N.C School of Science & Math) but that's because the public schools just aren't that great for the most part.. with the exception of Chapel Hill.

Unless you live in a somewhat urban area of N.C (or a suburban area like Chapel Hill) chances are high where you live will seem like the middle of nowhere...you have to really like the Appalachians to appreciate a lot of N.C..

Salaries are also typically higher for the same job BUT that doesn't seem to matter much since cost of living is way higher on L.I.

Also, this is personal but I think Long Island treats Jews a lot better than North Carolina..probably because the Jewish population is so much larger.

Unfortunately, a lot of areas which are really worth raising a family in are going to be more expensive than liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Please read the following statements. How many apply to you?

Personally only one applies to me.

-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)
-I have children in school on Long Island.
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn.
-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island.
-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island.

If your total is 1 or less, please take the time to respond to this thread with some information as to what draws you to stay on Long Island.
Please mention if you were born and raised here, or if you are a transplant.
Only 2 of these apply to me- family (minus spouse- I'm not married) and working in Manhattan. I stay on LI mainly b/c of my family...but also b/c of the proximity to NYC and New England and also for the beaches.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Like many others, I'm here for my Manhattan based job which would be difficult to find elsewhere. And the main reason it's LI instead of Westchester/Bergen/Fairfield county is the proximity to ocean beaches.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I, as the original poster, was not bashing anyone.

I put the situation of being a police officer, because here on LI it is a well enough to survive paying job. While police officers, or teachers may not consider their jobs that high paying for a costly area- when you compare it to the costs of living in other major suburbs, like Orange County, CA- or Cook County, IL- or Broward, FL, or San Mateo, CA ... your salary there would be half, and the dangerous workload would be double. Some of those places are more affordable, some far less.

Whether that means they are underpaid, or you are overpaid- that is an opinion you can all have but keep to yourselves- or create yet another long winded post about it. The salary however is livable- which more than likely cannot be said about two Wal-Mart cashiers.

I ask again that we keep this to the topic I asked...

Please read the following statements. How many apply to you?
Personally only one applies to me.
-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)

If your total is 1 or less, please take the time to respond to this thread with some information as to what draws you to stay on Long Island.

I must also add, while I enjoy reading about them- if your total is 2 or more, it isn't a surprise you are living here. I'm interested in what is keeping the underdogs here, and if none post- I'll assume there is a reason for that too.

Much appreciation.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please...Do not respond to trolls. Report anyone who posts inflammatory statements that are a new member and let a moderator handle.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I don't, hubby does -I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)
Yes, 1 a senior in HS, 1 in elementary -I have children in school on Long Island.
Neither of us -I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn.
No -I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island.
No -I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island.

I was born in NYC, family moved to LI when I was 5.
Hubby born on LI.

I love the area on LI where I live; it has a New England village feel to it, yet has many conveniences nearby. My husband is a contractor with a solid reputation and many repeat clients. We love our home. Yes, there are days where I feel LI is congested, when I hear a little too much Spanish spoken in stores, when I read one too many articles about another crime or an increase in taxes.

I own a home in another state; I like it there, but it isn't LI.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Ressurecting this thread a year later to continue some research, please remember this is not a thread to bash anyones profession, choices, or place of origin.

Please help continue, "The Metro Area That Never Was".

Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I grew up on LI, though my family mostly doesn't live here anymore. I have an Aunt on LI but she moved here after we did. Husband's family does not live here.
No kids in school.
Husband works in Manhattan.
No teachers or cops.

We actually looked at houses in other suburbs. Husband was supposed to take a transfer to CT and we were really dismayed by what we could afford there. Pretty much a cape that needed a total redo. Small lots. People who worked in that office said traffic was a nightmare. Waiting list of years to get a parking space for Metro-North.
Westchester was even more pricy than LI.
We like the house we bought here, we have a nice big, flat, usable yard. Like the neighborhood, proximity to beaches, lots to do with the kids. Close to New England and skiing. Can drive to family on both sides.

We're not sure we are here forever- there's a chance they'd transfer Husband to the Southwest, but in that event he'd find another job. We're not interested in living there. I'd die from the heat. The only other places we'd really consider would be California, Rockies or PacNW. Has to be near skiing.

Being in the metro area opens you up to a lot of job opportunities, especially in certain industries. Husband has family in FL and man, it's bleak.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
-I have family on Long Island.
my parents and brother and his family live in the same town

yes - 2

manhattan

not a teacher but my wife does work in a school for disabled kids as an aide (not part of nys retirement)

i wish

other pertinent facts:
parents moved out here from queens when i was a month or two old, back in '68... i wound up buying a house about a 1/4 mile away from my childhood house... my brother was more of the daring type and moved about a mile away

Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM

184 posts, read 227,984 times
I have family on LI, I work in Manhattan and will soon have kids in school. Plus all of my friends are here, I love the beach, I love NYC, the Hamptons, Fire Island, the vineyards of the north fork, the fishing, the restaurants, the hiking, close proximity to EVERYTHING.

I've lived here all my life with the exception of 4 years of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island