Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Please read the following statements. How many apply to you?

Personally only one applies to me.

-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)
-I have children in school on Long Island.
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn.
-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island.
-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island.

If your total is 1 or less, please take the time to respond to this thread with some information as to what draws you to stay on Long Island.
Please mention if you were born and raised here, or if you are a transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
The only thing that has been keeping us on Long Island has been family, but that situation has changed...so our living on Long Island situation is about to change.

My kids are in school here, but they are young enough that we can move in the next year without a problem.

Neither DH nor I work in the city. I work on Long Island. DH works for himself, and can live here or Timbuktu, it doesn't matter.

No civil service jobs here.

We are both natives.

Interesting questions!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,628,238 times
I want to move back. I was born and raised in Manhattan. We moved to LI when our kids were little and they were raised there. They are both grown now and still live there. My husband was out of work and got a job in Florida. I worked as a TA in Smithtown and also for a Non-Profit agency for the disabled.

I miss my kids, Long Island, and New York.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 AM

496 posts, read 1,249,402 times
Let me see here:
-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse): well, yeah but easily replaced
-I have children in school on Long Island. Yes, but both hate LI, so no problem there-
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn. for a second there i thought I'd be ok with commuting from here to Manhattan. One train ride did it for me, so hm NO
-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island. I may give it a shot since, well, teachers are making as much as executives in FL
-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island. No, but God bless the Law enforcement people

Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,123,612 times
Folks, post about the original topic not about other members.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,389,991 times
Yes-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)
No-I have children in school on Long Island.
No-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn.
No-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island.
No-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island.

Actually what is keeping me here is that I've got family and friends here and I've been unable to find a job out of state thus far. My short term plans probably have me staying for a few more years, then I'm outta here. As my family retires, they plan on leaving too.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,885,818 times
-I have family on Long Island--yes
-I have children in school on Long Island.--no, no children yet.
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn--yes, we work in Queens.
-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island--yes, we're both teachers, but in the city.
-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island--no

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,924,364 times
-I have family on Long Island.(This includes a fiancee/spouse)-yes, my parents, adult child, cousins but my DH's family is in Florida
-I have children in school on Long Island. -yes, my stepdaughter is in high school in her Moms town
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn. -no
-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island. -no
-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island. -no

I work in the private healthcare industry, My DH builds super-luxe homes in the Hamptons. Neither of us have ever had civil service jobs or jobs that were in the 5 boroughs. Both of us were born and raised here. DH in western nassau, me in eastern suffolk.

We love where we live, we both have good careers. We enjoy the change of seasons. We both know "no matter where you go, there you are". The people we know that left for greener pastures are all back, still unhappy or wish they could figure out a way to come back. We thought of leaving LI about 5 years ago but only because we were considering buying a farm and totally changing our lifestyle. We still would love to have more land and hopefully someday we will have it here on Long Island.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 AM

638 posts, read 1,278,714 times
I have family here and was born and raised here. But the only thing keeping me here is not having a buyer for my house and property here!!

Prior to buying elsewhere, my business/farm kept me here, but LI's horse business isn't what it used to be, unfortunately, and I'm getting too old to fight the changes any longer.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
-I have family on Long Island. (This includes a fiancee/spouse)

Yes
-I have children in school on Long Island.

Not yet
-I work in Queens, Manhattan, or Brooklyn.

No

-I (or a spouse) work as a School teacher on Long Island.

Yes, and without that job we'd be out of LI, but I can't blame people for being frustrated about the situation with school budgets. I only wish I had followed the same path as my wife through college so we could both be on the gravy train.

-I (or a spouse) work as a Police officer on Long Island.

No, and I can understand people being frustrated with them when they see guys with high school or Jr College educations making 1.5 times the median family income on LI with crazy benefits and 20 year out, with one salary in the case of SC and NC PD. Who would leave that gig? The Sheriffs and other depts are a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island