U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,891,933 times

Advertisements

Comment about Bohack's from this blog.

Quote:
Hi, this is Richard Bohack. I'm the great-grandnephew of Bohack's founder, H.C. Bohack. My father was one of the last employees remaining before Bohack closed its doors for good in the Summer of 1977 (Son of Sam and Elvis' Death took Bohack's End out of the headlines). Many of you have your facts in order (except for the Daitch Shopwell theory ... it was actually the opposite).

The first store was on Fulton St. in Brooklyn ... it opened in 1887. H.C Bohack bought the store where he worked ... after just one year. After H.C. Bohack died in 1931, Bohack was owned by his wife, 4 nephews and 8 friends (who were H.C.'s right-hand-guys from nearly the beginning). One of those nephews was my grandfather, Paul G.A. Bohack, Sr. My Dad, Robert H.C. Bohack, Sr. and his brother, Paul G.A. Bohack, Jr. and some of their cousins were quite involved. In 1965, the "heirs" decided to retire and "Go Public" with the company's equity. Charles Bluedorn, Gulf & Western's Chariman (Gulf Oil, Paramount Pictures, etc ...) became the majority share holder. Bluedorn's regime ousted almost everone who didn't retire, incuding all Bohack family memebers ... except for my father (Robert H.C. Bohack, Sr.) My dad (who is still alive and kickin' at 78-yrs-old) ran HR ... including Personnel, Labor Relations and even Benefits (Primarily a Labor Relations Executive ... since many union workers were employed). Throughout the 1960's, Bohack perchased Daitch Shopwell, Packers and a few other supermarket businesses. From Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties, they expanded into Manhattan and the Bronx. Since Paramount Pictures was "family", they used an Upper West Side Bohack store for the Odd Couple Movie with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau. Bohack survived the Great Depression and other hard times in the late 1800's and early 1900's. But the recession of the 1970's was too much. Bohack tried to buy-up and built (a huge risk that could've worked) while everyone else was selling and slowing down. They quickly opened stores in Westchester and Fairfield Counties that didn't last at all ... some closed in a month! The risk didn't work. Bohack went through various stages of Bankruptcy and eventually folded. It was July 13, 1977 and I was 13-yrs-old ... I remember it like it was yesterday.

Since the company folded, it wasn't actually taken-over by any one company. Various companies bought owed-properties and stores, as well leased-stores. Bohack Square (where my parents met in 1959 when my Mom, a Maspeth native, was an intern in their offices) was sold in pieces. One note, my brother, Robert H.C. Bohack, Jr. turned 16-yrs-old in May of 1977. He became legal to work for Bohack and got a job in their Metropolitan Ave store in Forest Hills. He worked for Bohack for about 6 weeks. Many cousins and 2nd cousins on my Dad's side ... as well as relatives on my Mom's side worked for Bohack ... it was a right of passage that I never experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,077 times
Samyn on the Green:

I am researching my family lineage and trying to find out some information on my Mom's side. She grew up in Queens during the 30's, 40's, and 50's. My Mom's grandfather was Henry Schmidt (1873 - 1965). It my understanding, the Henry Schmidt was at one time, the president of Bohack.......maybe in the 40's or early 50's. My Mom pass down to me a possession of his.........a Tiffany pocket watch given to Henry Schmidt from his friends at Bohack. There is an engraving on the inside cover that reads.."NICE DAY, FROM YOUR FRIENDS DECEMBER 22, 1943". Would be interested in hearing any information on Henry Schmidt from you or anyone else reading this forum. Thank you.

I was born in 1960, Jamaica Hospital. Two months later, my parents moved from Queens to the suburbs in New Jersey (Middlesex County). While growing up; I frequently visited (60's/70's) my grandmother on my mom's side who live in Jamaica. Lots of fond memories during my stay with. She lived in an apartment (across from King's Park??).

Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM

887 posts, read 1,196,265 times
My Uncle Frank was a butcher for Bohack for 33 years. At age 59 he was informed as were a couple thousand others that the company had lost their retirement funds to unsecured creditors.Therefore until his death at age 76 he received a monthly check of a whopping $47.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,407 times
Yes Bohack and A&P across the lot

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,997,831 times
Locust Valley one of my 1st job after school soorting bottle returns in the basement we used to deliver to the big estates in the area.
also one in East Northport & Huntington village

Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

88 posts, read 256,326 times
Back in 1971 there was a Bohack in downtown Mattituck that had been there forever. They built a new Bohack Village that was so much bigger they were hiring most the kids in town to work there. They gave me a job in the Deli section and sent me to Rocky Point for two weeks to train. Came back and worked for two weeks and then told them I was going on my senior trip that I had told the manager about before he hired me. He said I was now too needed to go, so I quit. The old Bohack is now an insurance company office, the Bohack village is now a transaction processing center for Capitol One

Old 04-14-2011, 12:23 AM

111 posts, read 96,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larnov View Post
I remember a Bohacks in Rocky Point, Port Jefferson and Riverhead, Hills on Main Street in Patchauge Village, Port Jeff station with Grants and SpaceBurgers ...

Nah , the Port Jefferson Bohacks was in the Woolworth shopping center.
The supermarket in the Grants / Space Buger center was Hills.

Space Burger had the greatest French Fries !!!!!

Last edited by GR8ACTR; 04-14-2011 at 12:35 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 AM

111 posts, read 96,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I remember the one in Stony Brook . Wow. That really brings back memories of shopping with my mom. I think there was one in Port Jeff Village also.

Actually , there were two Bohacks in Port Jefferson. One in upper PJ , and one in lower PJ. Both were in operation at the same time. I always thought that it was odd that a chain store would have two locations in the same town.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,098 times
Default I don't remember the Finast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There was also a Bohack's in Oyster Bay Village on South Street. The other Oyster Bay supermarket was A&P.
One gave out one type of stamp and the other another. You could redeem them for items like a toaster or a patio set.
Bohack's in Oyster Bay turned into a Foodtown sometime in the seventies. then into Finast.
I can still see that big red neon "B" with the flourish beneath it.
I remember the Bohack's and A&P and Foodtown (and the Yellow stamps and the Plaid stamps and all). A&P was on Audrey Avenue and Buckingham Variety Store moved into the old building when they moved to South Street near the American Legion Building. When Bohack's went out of business, Foodtown came in (Irwin Tantleff, I think the guy's name was) in a new building. Foodtown later moved to Pine Hollow into the Pine Hollow Bowl space which killed Oyster Bay as a thriving village because most of the people who shopped there no longer had to go all the way into the village. At some point that space became a Stop & Shop which is what it is today... maybe it was a Finast in between? Thanks for the memories...

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,997,831 times
I ran a snack route in the 70s and we supplied Bohack potato chips to the stores on long island I had to call my company each morning to check their credit and was told how much of an order to give them as we were one of the last companys to supply them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island