Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 11:25 AM

37 posts, read 25,718 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this summer we discovered that the house we bought last year has a little rodent issue, aka field mice or whatever else they call them. My backyard has old wood fence on 3 sides, 3 neighbors. The neighbor on the right is aware of the situation and they have told me they take precautions by spraying the surrounding perimeter and their fence with repellant. The neighbors on the back center I have not talked too.
The neighbors on the left are an old couple that like to feed wild birds, you see where I'm going I hope. Originally we thought that it was an area issue so I started cleaning everything I had in my backyard and try to maintain the backyard clean. I started using repellant which didn't do anything. Then I fortified the fence of my right neighbor with thin wood planks and will do the center and left part of the fence next. We did get an exterminator and that was a waste of $500.

One day we went over at the backyard of the left neighbors, the old couple. And as we were talking, mice were walking and running all over their yard going from their old shed to their neighbors then back to the shed. I noticed a lot of "holes" around their wooden deck and shed. The whole place looked like it was infested. Meanwhile when we first told them they denied it now that we have mentioned it many times and been in their yard they don't deny it. When we told them that the bird food they use attracts mice if not cleaned they didn't take that well and said they like their birds.

I'm now seeing activity in my yard, holes on the ground near the fence etc. In the future I will replace the fence with some material other than wood but for now what are my options? The mice are only outside in their yard but pass through our yard by digging under the fences. We have 2 little kids that want to play in the yard but we haven't let them out much because we don't like they to leave the door accidentally while going in and put and risk a mouse going in the house.

Is there some town agency that will help with this? Am I alone on this fight we the mice? This is in Merrick by the way.
I hope someone out there has some good feedback for me, I appreciate your assistance on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 11:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,318,226 times
what is in their shed?
may be kill the mice with poison and throw them into their backyard?

Old 06-19-2022, 02:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,940 times
Long Island has a rodent problem without a doubt. Here in Huntington we've had problems with mice getting into our very well sealed up house in the winter when they're looking for shelter.

And in our front yard I have a box with rat bait in it that's always empty after a couple of months. This has been going on for years.

We don't have any old couples or young couples feeding birds, or raccoons, squirrels, etc., but rodents are in abundance here. We do have next door neighbors who don't clean up their yard well, plus they have an enormous amount of ivy growing on their property (in some places 3 ft. high) that gives rodents - both rats and mice - really good cover. They have refused to do anything about it. Naturally.

When we were living in Stony Brook our next door neighbors (they weren't old) used to actually feed the rats - they thought they were "cute." And yes, their cute rats were coming onto our property. I thought of calling the Town, but then we would have had problems and possibly made enemies.

Rodent bait may help, but know it will kill rabbits too, as well as possibly a cat or dog if they get into it. Using a bait box is your safest bet. And whatever you do make sure your kids can't get into it.

It's doubtful that a rat or mouse will get into your house, but it is a distinct possibility if your doors aren't kept shut all the time.

I really have no solution to this, except to call the town and report what seems to be a rodent infestation that your neighbors have created because of the bird seed (and yes, rodents eat bird seed - it can be a magnet). They're probably not fans of yours at this point, so what have you got to lose? The town can come into your yard and will see the activity if it's as rampant as you say. Also, take a video or two of the activity in case for some reason the mice decide to stay away when the town comes by.

You have my sympathy with this. Having neglectful/bad neighbors really stinks.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:05 AM

3,264 posts, read 2,304,149 times
Since you did not explicitly state that you do not have an illegal apartment in the basement, I will assume you do. When I bought my first house in Holtsville, there was an OSE and an apartment in the basement with a kitchen. I knew I would never consider renting out any part of my house and I ripped the kitchen out just because I did not want it there and also to avoid what you are going through right now.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:14 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasForce View Post
Hello all, this summer we discovered that the house we bought last year has a little rodent issue, aka field mice or whatever else they call them. My backyard has old wood fence on 3 sides, 3 neighbors. The neighbor on the right is aware of the situation and they have told me they take precautions by spraying the surrounding perimeter and their fence with repellant. The neighbors on the back center I have not talked too.
The neighbors on the left are an old couple that like to feed wild birds, you see where I'm going I hope. Originally we thought that it was an area issue so I started cleaning everything I had in my backyard and try to maintain the backyard clean. I started using repellant which didn't do anything. Then I fortified the fence of my right neighbor with thin wood planks and will do the center and left part of the fence next. We did get an exterminator and that was a waste of $500.

One day we went over at the backyard of the left neighbors, the old couple. And as we were talking, mice were walking and running all over their yard going from their old shed to their neighbors then back to the shed. I noticed a lot of "holes" around their wooden deck and shed. The whole place looked like it was infested. Meanwhile when we first told them they denied it now that we have mentioned it many times and been in their yard they don't deny it. When we told them that the bird food they use attracts mice if not cleaned they didn't take that well and said they like their birds.

I'm now seeing activity in my yard, holes on the ground near the fence etc. In the future I will replace the fence with some material other than wood but for now what are my options? The mice are only outside in their yard but pass through our yard by digging under the fences. We have 2 little kids that want to play in the yard but we haven't let them out much because we don't like they to leave the door accidentally while going in and put and risk a mouse going in the house.

Is there some town agency that will help with this? Am I alone on this fight we the mice? This is in Merrick by the way.
I hope someone out there has some good feedback for me, I appreciate your assistance on this.
Give the Dept of Health a call and said that there is a rodent problem specifically says that you have seen rats and feces and you are concerned about your health & safety and that of your children. Don't offer too much info, other than the facts of your concern. Do not tell them that the neighbors feed them. They should investigate.

From the Dept of Health Website

3. What if I have a complaint about rats?

The Health Department Office of Community Sanitation will respond to complaints about residential complaints, including rodent infestation, rats and their environments. Please call (516) 227-9715 weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. for information about rodent control.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Since you did not explicitly state that you do not have an illegal apartment in the basement, I will assume you do. When I bought my first house in Holtsville, there was an OSE and an apartment in the basement with a kitchen. I knew I would never consider renting out any part of my house and I ripped the kitchen out just because I did not want it there and also to avoid what you are going through right now.
No I don't have an illegal apartment in my basement, my basement has no doors. You can only access the basement once you have entered the house. The neighbors don't have any illegal apartment either. Every house in the area is owner occupied.

Anyway thanks for the feedback @Andreall. I think I have an idea. I might buy some wire mesh fence and lay it down on the ground such that it covers approximately 4-5 inches from the fence, then bend it so the other 4-5 inches are flat with the existing fence, secure it in place and hope the mice don't eat the wire metal.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Give the Dept of Health a call and said that there is a rodent problem specifically says that you have seen rats and feces and you are concerned about your health & safety and that of your children. Don't offer too much info, other than the facts of your concern. Do not tell them that the neighbors feed them. They should investigate.

From the Dept of Health Website

3. What if I have a complaint about rats?

The Health Department Office of Community Sanitation will respond to complaints about residential complaints, including rodent infestation, rats and their environments. Please call (516) 227-9715 weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. for information about rodent control.
Thanks for the info, I will look into this.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasForce View Post
No I don't have an illegal apartment in my basement, my basement has no doors. You can only access the basement once you have entered the house. The neighbors don't have any illegal apartment either. Every house in the area is owner occupied.

Anyway thanks for the feedback @Andreall. I think I have an idea. I might buy some wire mesh fence and lay it down on the ground such that it covers approximately 4-5 inches from the fence, then bend it so the other 4-5 inches are flat with the existing fence, secure it in place and hope the mice don't eat the wire metal.
Don't bother mice can climb. Save the money.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:38 AM

1,213 posts, read 559,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Don't bother mice can climb. Save the money.
Exactly. Won’t help at all.
Only way to solve the problem is to eliminate them.
Baits/traps/etc…hire an exterminator if need be.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:24 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
Last winter I had a squirrel in my attic. I called a person Luis who removes squirrels and
he set up around six traps. He did not want to kill the little guy. Every day , for about
five weeks , he would come to check the traps , but that little guy was too smart &
knew how to get the bait ( Reeses chocolate ) and circumvent the trap latches .

One very cold day , Luis came back and Rocky ( the squirrel ) had died . So that
was the end of that . Anyway , you might have to set traps and there are also these
kind of boxes that they might go into ( and the bait is poison ) . I would definitely recommend Luis.
He will get rid of them .

Lighthouse Exterminating Copiague
Pest Control

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island