Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Jewish Lightning
Yikes....that term is anti-Semitic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
so is Baldwin not a desirable place to live right now? I know this was asked before, but the thread is old.

I have an option to buy a house in North Baldwin, near Demott Ave and Westervelt Ave. I'm a single professional. I don't mind a diverse neighborhood, but I do mind being in a neighborhood that's going down or crime ridden. I heard a lot about this new revitalization, but will it materialize? I've been to St. Christopher's Church and everyone I met seemed very nice and welcoming.

I work in Manhattan and I want to feel safe getting off the LIRR and being in my house and going about my daily life. I don't have children but I also hear mixed things about the schools in Baldwin and I know that poor schools hurts resale. It's hard to know what is true and what is just rhetoric.

I also read that a number of LI towns that are going down are do more to ppl renting their houses to Sec8. How would I be able to find out if a lot of ppl are renting to Sec 8 in Baldwin?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjane1 View Post
so is Baldwin not a desirable place to live right now? I know this was asked before, but the thread is old.

I have an option to buy a house in North Baldwin, near Demott Ave and Westervelt Ave. I'm a single professional. I don't mind a diverse neighborhood, but I do mind being in a neighborhood that's going down or crime ridden. I heard a lot about this new revitalization, but will it materialize? I've been to St. Christopher's Church and everyone I met seemed very nice and welcoming.

I work in Manhattan and I want to feel safe getting off the LIRR and being in my house and going about my daily life. I don't have children but I also hear mixed things about the schools in Baldwin and I know that poor schools hurts resale. It's hard to know what is true and what is just rhetoric.

I also read that a number of LI towns that are going down are do more to ppl renting their houses to Sec8. How would I be able to find out if a lot of ppl are renting to Sec 8 in Baldwin?
I moved to Baldwin BECAUSE it was a diverse town. Unfortunately, it got to the point that I was embarrassed to say I was from Baldwin. Grand Avenue was an abomination - empty storefronts - and the businesses that were there didn't care about being eyesores (ex. Pathmark, the movie theatre). When businesses would finally come, they'd inevitably be a wig shop, a nail salon, or a Popeye's. Also, it seemed that every time I opened the newspaper, Baldwin was featured as the scene of a crime or the residence of some criminal who committed a crime elsewhere.

On my block, I had neighbors who didn't have any pride in what their homes looked like. The grass would be a foot tall on some, others would leave their Pennysavers to pile up all over their lawn, and some of them couldn't figure out when garbage day was (so their trash would be piled up for days at the curb, blowing over everybody else's properties when the wind picked up).

When I attended civic meetings in the town library, I found that few people showed up and of those who did, they were all old folk, long-time residents who were there for the free cookies and coffee. Meanwhile, my property values just kept dropping (more severely than in other nearby, more upscale towns). When I finally decided to sell, I never made back the bucks I spent on remodeling. It was also made clear to me by my realtor, as well as a few of the prospective buyers, that people had reservations about buying in the Baldwin school district.

I wouldn't ever buy in Baldwin again, but Baldwin does have plusses:
-It's got a convenient railroad station - fact is, many people prefer to drive to Baldwin to take the train instead of going to the Freeport station.
-The library is great. It has plenty of parking and it is pretty well stocked with books, as well as DVDs and CDs to borrow.
-Baldwin is extremely affordable; you could buy a house for 300k that would go for 600k a half mile down the road in Rockville Centre.
-It has easy access to the highways, unlike towns such as Oceanside or East Rockaway. The Southern State is right up Grand Avenue and the Meadowbrook is 5 minutes east.
-The people aren't very pretentious. They're generally working class folk.
-You are 5 minutes west of really good restaurants, bars, and everything else that Rockville Centre has to offer.

GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide.

Last edited by woody516; 02-23-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I moved to Baldwin BECAUSE it was a diverse town. Unfortunately, it got to the point that I was embarrassed to say I was from Baldwin. Grand Avenue was an abomination - empty storefronts - and the businesses that were there didn't care about being eyesores (ex. Pathmark, the movie theatre). When businesses would finally come, they'd inevitably be a wig shop, a nail salon, or a Popeye's. Also, it seemed that every time I opened the newspaper, Baldwin was featured as the scene of a crime or the residence of some criminal who committed a crime elsewhere.

On my block, I had neighbors who didn't have any pride in what their homes looked like. The grass would be a foot tall on some, others would leave their Pennysavers to pile up all over their lawn, and some of them couldn't figure out when garbage day was (so their trash would be piled up for days at the curb, blowing over everybody else's properties when the wind picked up).

When I attended civic meetings in the town library, I found that few people showed up and of those who did, they were all old folk, long-time residents who were there for the free cookies and coffee. Meanwhile, my property values just kept dropping (more severely than in other nearby, more upscale towns). When I finally decided to sell, I never made back the bucks I spent on remodeling. It was also made clear to me by my realtor, as well as a few of the prospective buyers, that people had reservations about buying in the Baldwin school district.

I wouldn't ever buy in Baldwin again, but Baldwin does have plusses:
-It's got a convenient railroad station - fact is, many people prefer to drive to Baldwin to take the train instead of going to the Freeport station.
-The library is great. It has plenty of parking and it is pretty well stocked with books, as well as DVDs and CDs to borrow.
-Baldwin is extremely affordable; you could buy a house for 300k that would go for 600k a half mile down the road in Rockville Centre.
-It has easy access to the highways, unlike towns such as Oceanside or East Rockaway. The Southern State is right up Grand Avenue and the Meadowbrook is 5 minutes east.
-The people aren't very pretentious. They're generally working class folk.
-You are 5 minutes west of really good restaurants, bars, and everything else that Rockville Centre has to offer.

GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide.
When I attended civic meetings in the town library, I found that few people showed up and of those who did, they were all old folk, long-time residents who were there for the free cookies and coffee.

LOL, free food will draw hundreds of seniors, for sure.

Where did you move to?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
Thanks Woody.

It's sad. The houses are really nice and it seems like there are pockets of good areas. If the town does everything they say they will, then Baldwin could be on an upswing. But then the prices of the houses would be higher.

Where did you end up moving to and do recommend any other area ?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjane2 View Post
Thanks Woody.

It's sad. The houses are really nice and it seems like there are pockets of good areas. If the town does everything they say they will, then Baldwin could be on an upswing. But then the prices of the houses would be higher.

I live in East Rockaway right now (in transition). Although I'm committed to not buying in Baldwin again, I do always root for that town. And yes, many of the houses are nice (especially in the area you're looking at). Ultimately, for Baldwin to turn around, it needs civically-minded people to move in and take action. If Baldwin were an incorporated village, then they would be able to make concerted efforts to better itself without having to rely on the useless Kate Murray and the Town of Hempstead - they have too much on their plate to focus their energies on Baldwin.

Recommendations are a hard call. I don't think you'll be able to beat the prices you've been seeing in Baldwin - especially for the type of house you're probably looking at.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM

27 posts, read 74,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjane2 View Post
Thanks Woody.

Have you tried looking in North Merrick? There are some really affordable homes there and it's a pretty accepting community.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,812 times
I'm looking at a house South of Sunrise highway North of Merrick off Grand on a dead end street by the medical clinic and near the Baldwin Garden apeartments. I was wondering how the neighborhood over there was. I lived in So. Valley Stream for 8 years and was wondering about the comparison between the two neighborhood.. crime rates, etc.. the house is very nice and the neighborhood seems quiet, but I've always heard that Baldwin is not a "good" town to live in.. I'm hoping for some feedback. Thanks!!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
All4gizmo, I've lived in Baldwin for 20+ years (and still do) right around that area... PM me if you want to chat about it.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4gizmo View Post
I'm looking at a house South of Sunrise highway North of Merrick off Grand on a dead end street by the medical clinic and near the Baldwin Garden apeartments. I was wondering how the neighborhood over there was. I lived in So. Valley Stream for 8 years and was wondering about the comparison between the two neighborhood.. crime rates, etc.. the house is very nice and the neighborhood seems quiet, but I've always heard that Baldwin is not a "good" town to live in.. I'm hoping for some feedback. Thanks!!
I live south of Merrick Road, a few blocks south from the 7-11 on the corner of Grand Ave and Atlantic Ave. We can walk to Baldwin Park to play tennis in the summers. The area is safe, where we are its called "Baldwin Harbor", the school district sucks but if you dont care about that, you will get a lot of bang for your buck. PM me if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island