Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:06 PM

25 posts, read 98,658 times

Advertisements

Hi. Me & my fiancé just bought a cape with an unfinished 2nd floor.
We are planning to put a bedroom up there, and are going to have to insulate it.

Does anyone know where I can get the best prices for insulation in the western LI area?

Thank you in advance!

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Do it yourself. It's the cheapest and easiest way.
Honestly, it's not difficult at all.
You will pay a decent amount of money hiring any contractor to do the work.

Or, send me a PM and I'll give you a price for me to do the work.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Default ..

I plan on doing it myself..lol.

I actually meant, where to find the best prices for the material.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 PM

I see said the blind man...any of the big box stores, you gotta shop around.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM

True.. Sorry, this is my first home.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLPRO1989 View Post
Hi. Me & my fiancé just bought a cape with an unfinished 2nd floor.
We are planning to put a bedroom up there, and are going to have to insulate it.

Does anyone know where I can get the best prices for insulation in the western LI area?

Thank you in advance!

Jim
If you're doing the whole house it's not always cheaper to do it yourself believe it or not.The large insulation companies I use to do some of my larger reno's come out equal to what it would cost me to do it myself or less in a lot of instances.

They also do it whole lot better than someone that doesn't do it"everyday" can.
Even after being in the reno biz for over 30 years my reno guy always seems to have something new I never heard about concerning codes or great new products that make my jobs a cut above and still comes in cheaper or the same.

If you PM me I'll give you the names of two large companies I use.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Lowes or Home Depot almost always have a sale on insulation, sometimes you just gotta wait to get the best price. Shop around, get the average going rate, and use that as your guide against the big box sale prices. Some times they are almost giving the stuff away, other times they are only like 5 bucks less per roll than any other store. If you are not in a rush, patience will be your best friend in this situation.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 AM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
My wife and I recently bought a house and it seems that NONE of the exterior walls are insulated. Second floor, first floor, basement, no insulation at all. Crazy. We've opened up the wall in a few places for outlets and other work, and there was nothing.

I'm wondering how much it would cost to blow in insulation into the walls. Probably a lot since it's all of the first and second floor (well, all exterior walls).

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
My wife and I recently bought a house and it seems that NONE of the exterior walls are insulated. Second floor, first floor, basement, no insulation at all. Crazy. We've opened up the wall in a few places for outlets and other work, and there was nothing.

I'm wondering how much it would cost to blow in insulation into the walls. Probably a lot since it's all of the first and second floor (well, all exterior walls).
After you figure out what your heating bills are the cost of blowing in insul will be minimal..and don't forget you get a tax credit for insulating.

If you really can't afford to hire a pro you can buy the blow-in at Home Depot and they rent the machines out.

It's a real messy job if you do it from inside but it can be done this way for the least amt of money. From out side it's a lot more costly and the type of siding you have dictates the price as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,204 times
Be carefull insulating under the roof, if you are puting insulation in the roof rafter space you must provide air space under the roof sheathing or the roof will overheat during the summer or condense water in winter.

Over heating the roof will shorten the shingle life, moisture will cause rot and attract carpenter ants.

They make styrofoam air shoots to place under the roof before you insulate to provide the air space. This is 1 place were more is not always better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island