Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 AM

176 posts, read 474,531 times

Advertisements

I am searching for homes in the old bethpage, plainview, syosset area. IT seems to me that OIL is the preferred method of home heating in LI. While I know that oil is fairly cheap now I am much more optimistic on the long term outlook of natural gas prices. Does anyone know if most town offer gas heat or is that something that I should not even really consider to add to my 'home wants' list. I know I could always convert but almost every house I see has oil as fuel....MY current home in MA. has gas and I really like it (not to mention for cooking), what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
I am searching for homes in the old bethpage, plainview, syosset area. IT seems to me that OIL is the preferred method of home heating in LI. While I know that oil is fairly cheap now I am much more optimistic on the long term outlook of natural gas prices. Does anyone know if most town offer gas heat or is that something that I should not even really consider to add to my 'home wants' list. I know I could always convert but almost every house I see has oil as fuel....MY current home in MA. has gas and I really like it (not to mention for cooking), what gives?

While oil is preferred as being cheaper, I myself like gas better. It is cleaner, don't have to worry about deliveries or the dang oil tank. And with cooking, I love it because you can control the temperature a lot better than with electric. However, gas can be more dangerous than oil. Both have their upsides and downsides.

I'm not sure of your time frame of buying, but if I were you, I would put gas down as a would like, but not necessary. In my house hunting, I have come across both gas and oil (though I'm looking in Suffolk County). I would say that I have encountered 60% oil and 40% gas during my hunt (and I'm still looking).

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
The most likely reason why OIL is the preferred method is because it's the only method. The local gas utility is most cases would have to run pipe from a main point - the running of that pipe and it's associated costs which could amount to a hefty chunk of change would be borne by the end-user: you. Those people either don't have the money or are not planning on being there long enough to justify the expense, so they just kick the can down the road to the next buyer of their house.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
We thought gas should be on our "must have" list... but after looking for months and months, it became increasingly less important and in the end we bought a house with oil (and no gas line within 1000 feet). If you find the right house and it happens to have gas, then BONUS! But if you find the right house and it has oil, don't sweat it. In my area, gas is slowly making inroads... I'm sure that I can always choose to convert somewhere down the line, once gas makes it onto my street. I *do* hate cooking on electric ranges... but in the grand scheme of things, fuel type just didn't end up making much difference to us when everything else was just what we wanted. KWIM?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM

294 posts, read 878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
Right now, about 37% of the listings available in OB, Plainview and Syosset are fueled by gas. That said, this data is based on what is listed on MLS and may not be completely accurate. Every so often I run into a listing with incorrect information . I know, how can it be !?!?!

There is another search tool I use that allows a user to search by what is "wanted" vs. what is "needed". Choice of fuel is a good example of how this tool is beneficial.

If a gas line exists in the cross street and enough home owners are interested in converting, Keyspan will work with you to get that line brought down the block.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:01 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
isnt gas ridiculously expensive???? your heat and electric bill will be through the roof running the heat all winter on gas... I dunno oil seems more practical nowadays.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM

152 posts, read 547,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
isnt gas ridiculously expensive???? your heat and electric bill will be through the roof running the heat all winter on gas... I dunno oil seems more practical nowadays.
I pay way less for gas over the course of a year (heat, cooking, water heater and clothes dryer) than I did for oil (just heat) before we converted our heat system. And I never have to worry about a delivery, or whether the guy can find the place to hook up the hose (that happened once). AND when I converted I paid $1.19 a gallon for oil.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
oh...all iv ever heard is to stay as far away as possibly from gas because it will break you.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
not sure which is cheaper, but I often come across people looking to switch to gas...and I can't recall anyone wanting to switch to oil.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
.. I'm sure that I can always choose to convert somewhere down the line, once gas makes it onto my street. I *do* hate cooking on electric ranges...
Many people who prefer cooking with gas and have no access to oil, elect to use propane gas for cooking purposes... Not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely an option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island