Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
uh no, It's usually the New Yorker that is the idiot.
I think you're confusing the attitude vs the knowledge but that's okay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default How many NY teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
uh no, It's usually the New Yorker that is the idiot.
cannot find Hawaii on a globe? It happened in a Florida school.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM

160 posts, read 290,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
True,but it's warranted.Do a little travelling and you'll understand why, I have.Call it my own personal research.I also believe that Californians are wannabe Nyers and people from Mass. have an inferiority complex when it comes to us!
The problem with "personal research" is that it is anecdotal in nature and is heavily influenced by personal biases. Your comments that the feelings of superiority by New Yorkers are warranted illustrate this point.

A previous poster made the comment that essentially stated that NY is a magnet for attracting highly educated and successful people. I think a fantastic SCIENTIFIC study would be to survey where the leaders in all fields (business, medicine, law, etc) were raised and where they were educated through secondary school. I feel pretty confident that the vast majority are not from NY. For the sake of this discussion, let's use the Yankees as an example. They are the "World Champs" and give New Yorkers bragging rights, but how many of the players are actually from NY? I can't think of any off the top of my head. So does this mean that NY has superior homegrown baseball talent, or does it attract the best from other regions?

I would like to hear your rationale as to why New Yorkers are "superior" to those from other states? Is it because they just happened to be fortunate enough to be born there? Is it because of perceived levels of intelligence? Income? Or could it be simple arrogance?

My posting isn't meant to attack or insult anyone here; I was born and raised on Long Island (I moved away 15 years ago when I was 25), and I am very proud to be a native New Yorker. However, there is a very big difference between pride and feelings of superiority.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I think you're confusing the attitude vs the knowledge but that's okay!
I'm talking about the attitude AND the knowledge.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 AM

37 posts, read 106,303 times
I think you are mistaking manners with ignorance and happiness with settling for a lower quality of life. Yes I am a recently transplanted NYer living in Cary, NC. I lived on LI my entire life (50 years) and loved growing up there. I will not get into the school debate, etc. (I am a former teacher in NY and now teach in NC and no complaints regarding job or my kids education). But I just returned home from a quick visit to NY and have to say I do not miss it at all. People are genuinely kinder, gentler and overall happier and nicer in NC than in NY. I was flipped the bird and honked at about a hundred times. I swear it was because of my license plate. They saw me as "slow" and I can keep up with the best of them on the road. It was a big joke to everyone because at one point someone just passed me and shook their head at me as they passed, you gotta love the attitude.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo55 View Post
I think you are mistaking manners with ignorance and happiness with settling for a lower quality of life. Yes I am a recently transplanted NYer living in Cary, NC. I lived on LI my entire life (50 years) and loved growing up there. I will not get into the school debate, etc. (I am a former teacher in NY and now teach in NC and no complaints regarding job or my kids education). But I just returned home from a quick visit to NY and have to say I do not miss it at all. People are genuinely kinder, gentler and overall happier and nicer in NC than in NY. I was flipped the bird and honked at about a hundred times. I swear it was because of my license plate. They saw me as "slow" and I can keep up with the best of them on the road. It was a big joke to everyone because at one point someone just passed me and shook their head at me as they passed, you gotta love the attitude.
Do me a favor. Ask someone who has lived down there,their whole life about the civil war and get back to me.In the south there is alot of animosity towards northerners. My friend Johnny went to Cape Fear high school and he is an old military roomate of mine still living in NC and they will tell you how they feel. NC attitudes are no better just expressed differently and occasionally with wearing white sheets.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
yeah, Long Islanders are so much more advanced because they leave off the white sheets. We have a regular poster here whose family had swastikas spray painted on their garage when she was a teenager. And ask the Lucero family if it makes a difference to them that their attackers were dressed in street clothes.

Look you're a typical NYer - NY is the best, the smartest, superior in every way. It makes no difference to you that people (even other NYers) roll their eyes when they come in contact with you. You're the best. Or "DA BEST" as you probably say it.

That's fine. Just realize that a lot of people, here and elsewhere, do not agree and think you look like a buffoon when you start spouting off.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
I'm the one who brought up the migration of external talent that comes to NY. It's a fact that highly educated and skilled people migrate here because of the historically established industries/markets in the area.

If you truly wanted to compare NY with other regions of the country, then you would exclude foreigners and non-native NYers from your equation. Then you would evaluate the common NYer...take your pick...the "country hick" from Olean, NY or the "city hick" from Queens. It would not be a pretty evaluation.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I'm the one who brought up the migration of external talent that comes to NY. It's a fact that highly educated and skilled people migrate here because of the historically established industries/markets in the area.

If you truly wanted to compare NY with other regions of the country, then you would exclude foreigners and non-native NYers from your equation. Then you would evaluate the common NYer...take your pick...the "country hick" from Olean, NY or the "city hick" from Queens. It would not be a pretty evaluation.
well the hicks from upstate and the deep south are more likely to marry their own cousin...so at the very least we've got them beat there.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

Not a pretty picture? I'm originally from Queens,Bayside to be exact.My parents from the Bronx.We moved to Long Island in the very early 80's. My parents wanted to move away from the busy city life and to more of a family friendly environment with a backyard. So your assumption is being pulled out of your as-.City hick? Hick normally refers to people with country mentalities so city hick really doesn't make any sense.If you want to do it properly you would survey 100 people per state from different regions.In NY (city,long island,upstate,and western areas).That would give you a broad spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island