Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times

Advertisements

Can't wait for this thread to be resurrected in a few months when people realize Denny's is complete garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 AM

180 posts, read 604,311 times
sERiously. Denny's is no better than friendly's. Ground Round used to be a LI institution. Free buttered popcorn, an arcade, lots of loud TV's. Sure my parents hated it but it was my fave as a kid. I used to have my birthday parties there.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
I used to like Ground Round too, but their demise was evident when they didn't update any of their buildings for 20 odd years.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Can't wait for this thread to be resurrected in a few months when people realize Denny's is complete garbage.
I once asked what the best diner was and tried it... not any better. Have had many Denny's elsewhere in the country, Perkins, and of course IHOP... the food is on par. Just like Friendly's? Fine by me. It's breakfast food, how earth-shattering can it possibly be? I'm just looking for good value for an entire family.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I once asked what the best diner was and tried it... not any better. Have had many Denny's elsewhere in the country, Perkins, and of course IHOP... the food is on par. Just like Friendly's? Fine by me. It's breakfast food, how earth-shattering can it possibly be? I'm just looking for good value for an entire family.
Despite what some people claim, most of the neighborhood diners on Long Island are just so-so at best. In fact, I would wager to bet that IHOP is better then most ... it certainly beats the 2 diners we have in West Islip.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Despite what some people claim, most of the neighborhood diners on Long Island are just so-so at best. In fact, I would wager to bet that IHOP is better then most ... it certainly beats the 2 diners we have in West Islip.
Actually, most neighborhood diners are sub-par at best. I can't believe how much jarred and canned crap is in their recipes. You order a Spanish Omelette and they use Pace's salsa....is it really that hard to make fresh salsa?

I watch that show Diners, Drive ins and Dives, and I see how many places out of state are making things fresh every day..where are these places on LI where we think we eat so well?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Denny's is awful and it's a sad state of affairs for the Island if you're getting one.

I still miss the Tally-Ho diner on 110.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
..where are these places on LI where we think we eat so well?
PIZZA AND BAGELS! Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Actually, most neighborhood diners are sub-par at best. I can't believe how much jarred and canned crap is in their recipes. You order a Spanish Omelette and they use Pace's salsa....is it really that hard to make fresh salsa?

I watch that show Diners, Drive ins and Dives, and I see how many places out of state are making things fresh every day..where are these places on LI where we think we eat so well?

One of the biggest threads on the Long Island board was the coming of a new Sonic fast food joint. So do you really expect Diners on Long Island to serve high quality food? These diners will only give what is expected of them and from what I read the bar is not very high. People are looking forward to drinking a cherry-limeade from Sonic. LOL, I could do better mixing kool-aid packages. I spoke to someone who was so excited that Denny's was coming to Long Island, just so he could have one of their Grand Slam breakfast. Come on, that something you can make at home in 15 min. I go to a restaurant to have something unique and refreshing not something a novice can make in their sleep. I guess many Long Islanders have reduced their culinary experience to value over quality.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 AM

180 posts, read 604,311 times
Denny's is really, really awful....look at just the nutrition information for one of these breakfasts:
Calories in Dennys - Meat Lover's Scramble

Nothing like 4.5K mg sodium for breakfast!

Not only that its like a diner where EVERYTHING is processed...not just a few things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island