U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM

432 posts, read 941,541 times
Default Anybody not been plowed out yet?

Sitting here in Manorville and not a plow is sight?

What's going on?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 5,468,235 times
Been hearing the same old song from my co-workers that live out east. They say a plow hasnt touched their roads. They cant get out. Guess this is that one time where getting milk and bread was legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post

What's going on?????

Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,179,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post

What's going on?????

Brookhaven failed on this Storm

Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,472,198 times
No streets in my section of West Islip have been plowed by Town DPW plows but a member of the fire department was nice enough to plow our street for us ... if it was not for him though we would not be plowed yet.

Islip fails for every storm. We normally go at least a day or so before we are plowed.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,127,472 times
My area was plowed so to speak. Badly done, but they came around. What I can't understand is how they screwed up North Ocean Ave. yet got some backroads more clean by me.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 AM

2,336 posts, read 3,320,971 times
My area was ploughed too, but they left just a single drivable lane on my street.... its just crazy.

Guys I was just wondering.... is it going to get tougher and tougher to shovel as time passes ? I am expecting company this weekend and I need to clean my driveway and the area in front on the road, so I was just curious. Should I just do it after work today ?

Last edited by zulu400; 12-21-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM

7,224 posts, read 7,107,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
My area was ploughed too, but they left just a single drivable lane on my street.... its just crazy.

Guys I was just wondering.... is it going to get tougher and tougher to shovel as time passes ? I am expecting company this weekend and I need to clean my driveway and the area in front on the road, so I was just curious. Should I just do it after work today ?
Yes. You're going to have partial melting during the day and then freezing up at night...ice is much harder to shovel than freshly fallen snow. That's why I get every last lick of snow off of my car and out of my path once the snow stops. It's not worth waiting, unless you see it's supposed to be 40 degrees at night for the next few days..then there's no freezing going on.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post

Yes, definitely do it. Like dman said, you'll get some ice. Some will melt, but not much. This will stick around for at least a good week.

You could always have the company bring their own shovels and shovel for you.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 7,739 times
Town of Babylon here did a great job and they are still at it today. I've been hearing the opposite from friends and family that live out East. They are stranded in their homes. That is not right.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yes. You're going to have partial melting during the day and then freezing up at night...ice is much harder to shovel than freshly fallen snow. That's why I get every last lick of snow off of my car and out of my path once the snow stops. It's not worth waiting, unless you see it's supposed to be 40 degrees at night for the next few days..then there's no freezing going on.

Hmm, I'll have to build a mini snowman on top of your car and then cover it with water so it'll freeze and stay up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island