U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM

270 posts, read 567,877 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We recently bought a house that has trex decking. I am new to trex, and after all the shoveling of the driveway we were to tired to even attempt shoveling the snow off the deck.

Is it bad to leave the snow on trex? Will it ruin the deck? The deck won't collapse will it?

I am wondering since I've never had one of these decks before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 4,450,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
Hi everyone! We recently bought a house that has trex decking. I am new to trex, and after all the shoveling of the driveway we were to tired to even attempt shoveling the snow off the deck.

Is it bad to leave the snow on trex? Will it ruin the deck? The deck won't collapse will it?

I am wondering since I've never had one of these decks before

You need to get every crumb of snow off it, even if it means taking the spouse's toothbrush and cleaning out the crevices and putting it back without telling them what you did.

Nah, should be fine. They're just as sturdy as a regular deck, if not stronger. Unless it was built by a dummy. If its attached to the house, I would clear it off just to give you another way to get out of the house and into the side or back yard (depending on where it is).

The one thing you do want to do is to see how much snow is on your roof. If there is quite a lot, I would suggest getting a ladder and a shovel and taking some of it off. I've done that plenty of times at my old place.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 AM

13,904 posts, read 16,529,671 times
If the deck was not properly framed you could have problems, but that would apply for most decks.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 AM

405 posts, read 693,127 times
No problem...
Heck you can even use rock salt on it. Just rinse it off when it's practical to do so.

Stay away from metal shovels though, that could scratch it.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM

261 posts, read 371,067 times
The material itself will not be harmed by snow or water, but if the weight is an issue...then it doesn't matter what the deck is made of. But if built properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM

88 posts, read 259,099 times
Trex is a mixture of recycled plastic and sawdust heal together with a polimer. The material won't be affected by the snow at all, but the other posters mentioned that it will be fine if installed correctly. That is because trex needs almost double the underpinning of a wood deck. An easy test if it was installed correctly is if you have walked on it and it bouces when you walk, then you have to get the snow off it, if it didn't bouce, it is fine.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 33,326 times
Hi Jackie78: I am a representative of Trex and wanted to address your question. Snow will not damage your Trex deck when properly installed. We do not recommend the use of a metal shovel on Trex decking as it may scratch the surface of your Trex deck. You can use rock salt on your Trex deck, as LitTownBlues mentioned, and rinse off when first practical. If I can answer any further questions, please let me know. Pat M - Trex question@trex.com

Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 AM

270 posts, read 567,877 times
Thanks everyone for your replies! PatM....thank you also. As pjes posted about the bouncing.....i definitely didn't notice any bouncing the couple of times we walked on it. I just wish this snow would melt already! LOL

Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM

14,031 posts, read 4,324,260 times
I built my TREX deck in 1995, and was one of the first in Nassau to do so. I had to get the TREX from a supplier in Riverhead.

Anyway, I've never removed the snow and it's been fine. The structure is over-designed enough to support stacked cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island