Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,962,209 times

Advertisements

We'll be out once my wife retires and my son is out of High School. Your money just doesn't go far here. Of course, if you're only talking about moving to Manhattan, your money goes absolutely nowhere there, so that's not a viable option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 31,807 times
Default Marriott Residence?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Marriott Residence? Is it analogous to long term rental? I'm looking to visit Fla nad need to check out several towns to see which ones I want to re-locate to. Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Try renting a Mariott Residence in for a month somewhere else, and see how you like living other places.

If you don't fall into the few categories of purposeful living here, you're paying a premium you don't need to.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:34 PM

302 posts, read 588,604 times
Kids don't come into the equation for me. There are good public schools all over the country. People who actually believe the school districts on LI are the best are deceived. They are good but not as good as they make them out to be, but they have to hype them up to justify the taxes. I did all my education on LI, and the top students would've been top anywhere. Like all the other occupations, a handful of my teachers were really great, most were ok to fine, and some... made you want to skip class and learn on your own. One thing I noticed is that the student population is selected for. For instance, many of the students at three village SD had physicians/BNL scientists/professors as their parents. Of course, the students were very focused on education and excelled! How well the student body did was more of a reflection of their family values and background rather than how great the school district was.

If I had no family here and if my husband weren't so attached to his job/colleagues/friends, I would be out of here in a heartbeat. Not because LI is a bad place to live, but because I feel that I get ripped off big time living here.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer777 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Marriott Residence? Is it analogous to long term rental? I'm looking to visit Fla nad need to check out several towns to see which ones I want to re-locate to. Thank you for the info!
A swanky hotel where all rooms are like studio apartments.

Gives you a good feel of living in a place, while having all the plus sides of vacation too- usually at a decent rate if you do a week or a month.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 AM

19,637 posts, read 20,449,048 times
Not having kids, or having kids out of school opens up many doors for LI living.
There are a bunch of half way decent and very affordable communities you can pick from that are great if you don't need to worry about the schools.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM

63 posts, read 237,579 times
I'll probably leave because the main reason was for the kids. As soon as the last one is off to college...I may just move across the street to a quiet neighborhood in Queens to avoid property taxes...but I may have to encounter a lot of BS from the city...win some loose some I guess

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM

104 posts, read 379,549 times
I was looking into moving out to LI, possibly purchasing, but after seeing those taxes I basically called it off. Condo's have maintanence payments exceeding $800, 66% of which is tax payments. My maintenance is cheaper in NYC. As I dont have any kids I'm not willing to subsidize the schools out there.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,270 times
I'm glad I came across this post because I currently live in a co-op outside of Manhattan. I pay $1,000 in maintenance per month for a very large 1 bedroom, along with another $200 a month to park my car. The annual cost of living in my apartment is equal to or in many cases, much more than the annual taxes of owning a very small house on the island. I've been thinking of buying a small home since I have no children and looking at houses with taxes around 8-9K per year. I'm not sure if I should stay or make the move. I know the additional costs involved in owning a home but still wonder if it may be worth it considering I pay over 14K a year to live surrounded by neighbors and their sometimes rude behavior. Looking for some advice here....thanks!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM

840 posts, read 2,437,005 times
no way in hell. i'd live in williamsburg or prospect park

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,312,474 times
Probably not.

At most, I would live in a Nassau town bordering the Cross Island Parkway, anything east of that is a huge no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: