Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Absolutely.

I hope to retire to a small home on the North Fork.

Agree with it or not taxes in the Hamptons/NoFo are fairy low since theres fewer kids in the Schools.

Crooks
See you out there one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Nope. Not only will you be paying for upkeep on a home you'll rarely be at (and whatever you are imaging for upkeep, at least double it) - you won't have any neighbors in the same position as you except for people over age 70. Totally not worth it. I'm only in my mid 40s and my childless best friend is already transitioning away from the LI house-owning lifestyle.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
if anything, I'd move to a cheaper town where schools may be bad but homes and areas still nice. Or sell and rent in the west coast with my wife for at least a year just because we only live once.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
My husband and I don't want kids and we intend to stay in Nassau County. Frankly, the taxes are high not because of the school taxes but because living here is just much nicer (IMHO). You dont realize how much nicer living here is until you live in Queens or Brooklyn- , the density, the crime, the cacophony of loud neighbors, fire trucks and police sirens, the pothole ridden streets and lack of decent parking spots in certain areas of Queens just to name a few (and I know LI isn't immune to it, but I can't remember the last time I dented my rims because I drove over a large Pothole on the NSP or had to park on another block because some knucklehead parked his IrocZ in front of my house). LI has crime and potholes too, but just not as many IMHO as the city because everything on LI is so much more "spread out". I am willing to pay 6-10K/yr in taxes to have that peace of mind, more space and easy access by car to malls, restaurants, stores, etc.

I have no problems with being close to schools, libraries, parks and of course, a great commute to work (both of us work on LI). What troubles me is the perception that LI living is only suitable for families with children. This is a crock, there are several couples we know who live in nice 2-3 bedroom homes that have no kids, and they enjoy it just fine. If more people chose to live here who DIDN'T have kids(or didn't want them), I think LI would be more diverse.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 05-07-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Frankly, the taxes are high not because of the school taxes but because living here is just much nicer (IMHO). .
Humble opinion aside, factually that's incorrect. Your taxes ARE high because of the schools - look at the breakdown of where your property taxes are going - the bulk of it is to the schools, and that's what goes up every year. Eventually most childless people get sick of paying that nut (look at how much bitching the seniors do, even those with kids who went thru the system). The tipping point where paying for the "greater good" with no direct benefit can be justified is rapidly being reached on Long Island.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Recently I overheard someone say one of the primary reasons people move back to the city after raising and educating their children in Long Island is because of its high property tax which is mostly made up of school tax. In some parts of Long Island with very good education system, the property tax is as high as $10,000 or more.
Which makes me wonder, "Is it worth living on Long Island if I am a single homeowner with no family? Is it worth continuing to live on Long Island if all my children are educated and they moved out? Would it be better to sell the house and live on rent?"
What would you do if any one of those scenarios fit you?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
It the best place to live, if you can afford it. Most of us work to pay our mtg and taxes. I would love to leave. However, the salaries elsewhere do not work out for us. Even though housing/taxes are cheaper. Then again, I have no kids. I'd be struggling if I did.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Frankly, the taxes are high not because of the school taxes but because living here is just much nicer (IMHO).
OMG, that's hysterical! Taxes are high precisely because of school taxes and layers of govt hackery. Period.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM

92 posts, read 432,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Absolutely.

I hope to retire to a small home on the North Fork.

Agree with it or not taxes in the Hamptons/NoFo are fairy low since theres fewer kids in the Schools.

Crooks

I plan on leaving Long Island after my kids are out of the house but if I were to stay I agree. I would move to the North Fork out near the vineyards. It is beautiful out there.

As far as the city, not only do you get less space etc. but you have to love that life. No car. Walking everywhere or cabbing it or subway. If your kids are gone and you are say in your 50's or early 60's it could be great but as you get older I can't imagine wanting to live there. I personally would want to be in a more temperate climate and more relaxed atmosphere but that is just me.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM

77 posts, read 164,733 times
We will be leaving when my husband is ready to retire in 14/15 years. Our kids will have all finished HS and we will headed out west or down south. We would love a small condo in the Santa Monica area within walking distance of the farmers market and maybe even the beach.....
Most of our friends parents have already left LI for California and Florida, and my parents are planning to go in another year. My parents taxes are over $16k! They are looking to buy a condo in Florida and travel.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

283 posts, read 581,478 times
If I didn't have kids, dh and I would be living in a coop in queens . We would travel, have a decent bank account, and nice cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: