Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,903 times

Advertisements

I happen to be a current resident in GC and i am also black. I have no problem with living in a town such as Garden City, I live in a great home with my family and attended its great school with a very good education system. I_Love_LI_But, i really dont think you understand the big picture, at the end of the day, my parent chose to live in GC because it had one of the best public school system, they didnt see the world in only black and white, living in predominately white town was never a problem nor a factor into moving in the town. i made great friends, has never had a racist comment said to me, and always felt comfortable. I would never let silly factor such as that get in the way of my education, my parents wanted the best for my siblings and I. Its the 21st century, as a black female, society has definitely improved on its outlook on the interaction between blacks and whites, the majority and minority. Movign to Gc was one of the best decisions my parent made for my family, becuase my education is important to my family and I and nothing will prevent from gaining. I_LOVE_LI_BUT, your comment are so ignorant. You really have no idea how ignorant you sound. Stop seeing the world in black white, because its not always like that. If you want Predominately white towns to become more diverse stop driving the minority away be posting comments like this. no wonder towns like GC arent diverse because we have people who share the same backwards mentality as you, thats what you called reverse racism. If you want to be divers then encourage other races to move here, because they are welcomed here just like i was. I am happy i Live in garden City.

Last edited by GCGal; 05-09-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Default False rumor about at.anne's

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, that's true. When I go to Mass at St. Anne's they ask for my license before I can get in the door. And all the people in Stewart Manor and Franklin Square whose kids go to St. Anne's, they don't let them go to Mass there. The kids have to stay in class while their GC classmates go to Masses. Same with the people who llive in Hempstead and West Hempstead whose kids go to St. Joseph's. They take their tuition money and they can't worship at the church. And they just stand for it. And it never even makes the news. Isn't that Incredible

So don't you even TRY to come to church in GC, HopeAndChangeBO. You go to your own church with MinorityTakeOva.

I go to St. Anne's Chruch every week and I have never experinced what you claim happens. and guess what.... Im black. A friend of mine attended St.Annes while she was living in Stewart Manor and attended St.Anne's mass every week for years. Where are you getting your information from?? My family and I have been welcomed into St.anne's parish for years now. and this coming from someone who actually knows and is a dedicated parishioner in the church. If this really happens it must not have been st.Anne's and your probably getting it confused with with another church.

Last edited by GCGal; 05-09-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 PM

22,664 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGal View Post
I go to St. Anne's Chruch every week and I have never experinced what you claim happens. and guess what.... Im black. A friend of mine attended St.Annes while she was living in Stewart Manor and attended St.Anne's mass every week for years. Where are you getting your information from?? My family and I have been welcomed into St.anne's parish for years now. all my siblings and I have received our communion and conformation there. I also used to volunteer in the church as a catechist. Stop Spreading rumors, your comment are completely false, ans this coming form someone who actually knows and is a dedicated parishioner in the church. If this really happened to you then is must not have been st.Anne's and your probably getting it confused with with another church.
I guess they overlooked the definition of sarcasm in your classes at the Garden City schools. Along with a few other things.

Thanks for joining CD and dredging up a month's old thread for your first post.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I guess they overlooked the definition of sarcasm in your classes at the Garden City schools. Along with a few other things.

Thanks for joining CD and dredging up a month's old thread for your first post.

Oopps. I meant to quote HOPEandCHANgebo, I did pick up on your sarcasm, my mistake twingles. sorry, again.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGal View Post
I happen to be a current resident in GC and i am also black. I have no problem with living in a town such as Garden City, I live in a great home with my family and attended its great school with a very good education system. I_Love_LI_But, i really dont think you understand the big picture, at the end of the day, my parent chose to live in GC because it had one of the best public school system, they didnt see the world in only black and white, living in predominately white town was never a problem nor a factor into moving in the town. i made great friends, has never had a racist comment said to me, and always felt comfortable. I would never let silly factor such as that get in the way of my education, my parents wanted the best for my siblings and I. Its the 21st century, as a black female, society has definitely improved on its outlook on the interaction between blacks and whites, the majority and minority. Movign to Gc was one of the best decisions my parent made for my family, becuase my education is important to my family and I and nothing will prevent from gaining. I_LOVE_LI_BUT, your comment are so ignorant. You really have no idea how ignorant you sound. Stop seeing the world in black white, because its not always like that. If you want Predominately white towns to become more diverse stop driving the minority away be posting comments like this. no wonder towns like GC arent diverse because we have people who share the same backwards mentality as you, thats what you called reverse racism. If you want to be divers then encourage other races to move here, because they are welcomed here just like i was. I am happy i Live in garden City.
LOL! You don't know enough about me and where I live to accuse me of all that. I am glad you are happy in Garden City! But don't you be all "black and white" on us either, because some minority kids wouldn't like Garden City ... everybody's different and they won't all share your point of view.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM

11 posts, read 60,418 times
By 2042 GC Schools will be filled with those in the minority. Just a matter of perspective.

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/012496.html - broken link)

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM

96 posts, read 186,935 times
Cosby,
If you can afford to live in GC, you will fit in fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island