Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 PM

99 posts, read 272,037 times

Advertisements

It is technically true that you have to stop at a red light when making a right. It is like a stop sign. However was it a simple right on red, or a right into a gas station then cut through or whatnot. In nassau you can fight tickets and get plea bargain. If it is simple did not stop when making a right on red, you will probably get that seriously reduced or thrown out. However it sounds like the person cut through somewhere which is not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,212,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Oh yeah? Try that on the LIE in NYC with blacked out Dodge Chargers, we'll see where it gets ya.

If I were the OP, I'd have "my friend" take a picture of the intersection where the supposed violation occurred, showing that there was no "no turn on red" sign.

As always, with all traffic violations, it's your word against the cops, and if they want to ********* they can. In terms of civil rights, this is one area where a biased witness has 100% power against you, but because no on goes to jail, no one fights it to high levels. The whole traffic violations situation is really absurd if you take a step back from it.
I will tell him that! Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCW View Post
Looking further into that code produces this:

According to that, it wasn't a matter of whether or not a right-turn-on-red was allowed/disallowed, it was a matter of the vehicle leaving the roadway to complete the maneuver. Maybe they edged too far right and were temporarily on part of a driveway/lot/curb/sidewalk, but at some point, some portion of the vehicle was not on the roadway proper.

It may be a matter of two points on their license, though I'm not sure at all what NYS's stance is on that, but its something worth checking on.
I will ask him if this happened. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, Lawrence is a village, but ...

There is no North Lawrence*: I'm guessing that the traffic infraction occurred in the part of the Hamlet of Inwood that has a "Lawrence, NY 11559" mailing address.

* If all else fails, your friend may be able to fight this ticket on the grounds that there is no North Lawrence on the official maps of Nassau County.

A map of the Village of Lawrence in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

The Village of Lawrence has a different border than does the "Lawrence, NY 11559" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lawrence, NY 11559" address and not be in the Village of Lawrence and a place can be in the Village of Lawrence and have other than have other than a "Lawrence, NY 11559" mailing address): places that have a "Lawrence, NY 11559" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lawrence are in the Village of Cedarhurst and the Hamlet of Inwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lawrence that have a "Cedarhurst, NY 11516" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Inwood in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

The Hamlet of Inwood has a different border than does the "Inwood, NY 11096" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place in the Hamlet of Inwood can have other than an "Inwood, NY 11096" mailing address): places in the Hamlet of Inwood with other than an "Inwood, NY 11096" mailing address have a "Lawrence, NY 11559" mailing address.
I thought the same thing ... that there was NO "North Lawrence!"

Wouldn't it be great if he could get it thrown out on a geographical mistake!

"Your honor, there is no such geographical location named North Lawrence, so how could I have been there in the first place to commit this alleged traffic violation?"

Thanks, Walter!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Sounds like your friend was on a two lane road and maneuvered to the right of a car stopped at the red light to make the right on red. Also, being followed by a cop for a number of blocks is not unusual as he/she was probably running your plates.
Good thought. I will ask him.

He was actually followed AFTER the ticket was given, so I would assume the cop had checked his plates when giving the ticket.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Was it really a right on red, or was it the usual "I'll slow down as I make this turn while the light is red" - people don't seem to grasp that to legally make a right on red, you must come to a full and complete stop, look, and there must be absolutely no traffic coming. It's not enough that you think you can "beat" traffic that is oncoming. If the p.o. saw him coasting thru a right on red, or deemed that he took too much of a chance making the turn with oncoming traffic, he could ticket him.

Bottom line is, when you've got a red light, you've got a red light. personally i would not make ROR in front of a cop.
I won't either!

If he did not come to a full stop before making the right on red, wouldn't that be a different ticket/violation? Like one similar to failure to make a full stop at a stop sign?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
It is technically true that you have to stop at a red light when making a right. It is like a stop sign. However was it a simple right on red, or a right into a gas station then cut through or whatnot. In nassau you can fight tickets and get plea bargain. If it is simple did not stop when making a right on red, you will probably get that seriously reduced or thrown out. However it sounds like the person cut through somewhere which is not allowed.
Now, this question I did ask, because to me making a right into an adjacent gas station, parking lot, etc., and then immediately making a right out of that parking lot would actually be "avoiding a traffic control device!" He said no.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times
No one should appear in Nassau traffic court in Hempstead for anything without an attorney.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,130,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
No one should appear in Nassau traffic court in Hempstead for anything without an attorney.
Or a lot of money!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM

148 posts, read 555,456 times
Sounds like where your friend turned is more important than how in this situation. Possibly he was in the shoulder? I used to teach Driver's Ed and no one seems to realize the shoulder is not a lane. I know everyone turns right from there-you don't want to get rear ended and all but it is technically illegal. Many people use the shoulder to pass cars turning left but if the lane is painted you cannot use the shoulder to drive in(except to avoid an accident).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island