Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Sounds like where your friend turned is more important than how in this situation. Possibly he was in the shoulder? I used to teach Driver's Ed and no one seems to realize the shoulder is not a lane. I know everyone turns right from there-you don't want to get rear ended and all but it is technically illegal. Many people use the shoulder to pass cars turning left but if the lane is painted you cannot use the shoulder to drive in(except to avoid an accident).
Thanks for the info. I make rights that way sometimes to "get out of the way of drivers behind me."

I will ask him and he will have to look at the pavement marking.

This was an intersection of two large, busy streets (Rockaway Tpke./Burnside Ave.). Sometimes it is not easy to notice or tell what is technically "the shoulder." On highways it is very easy to know where you should not be travelling in (and in bad traffic you know I sometimes do see people driving up the shoulder to pass all the cars anyway!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,951,445 times
The whole driving on the shoulder thing is ridiculous. Everybody on LI passes cars on the right on the shoulder when they are making turns..if you don't the people behind you will honk you until your ears bleed!..I guarantee you every cop on LI does it on and off duty.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 PM

148 posts, read 554,870 times
I should have made clear--- I always use the shoulder to pass a left turning car! Definitely not a law that is really enforced unless someone is in a bad mood. Watch out for bicyclists though---the judge would probably be pretty angry if you try to use the old "everybody does it"

Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 PM

416 posts, read 695,458 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Many of us witness the police breaking traffic laws while both on and off duty. A very minor infraction like this doesn't necessitate issuing a ticket, unless the police officer is having a bad day or wants to bust chops.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-01-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM

939 posts, read 1,838,216 times
Not a minor infraction. It's a prime cause of accidents involving right turns across non-travel portions of the roadway.

And please enlighten us as to how you know it's an off-duty cop breaking the traffic laws.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-01-2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: quote removed

Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,388 times
I was headed north on 107 one morning and it was only 1 lane and there was a shoulder. I stopped to make a left, with my directional. I then realized I was making a wrong turn, I was supposed to make a right. I then put on my right blinker when all of a sudden, someone came up my rear in the shoulder as I was turning. she rear ended me. She tried telling the cops and insurance company that I had my left on and not my right linker but she was in the wrong 100% according to the cops and insurance. she was not allowed to pass me using the shoulder.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,882,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Was it really a right on red, or was it the usual "I'll slow down as I make this turn while the light is red" - people don't seem to grasp that to legally make a right on red, you must come to a full and complete stop, look, and there must be absolutely no traffic coming. It's not enough that you think you can "beat" traffic that is oncoming. If the p.o. saw him coasting thru a right on red, or deemed that he took too much of a chance making the turn with oncoming traffic, he could ticket him.

Bottom line is, when you've got a red light, you've got a red light. personally i would not make ROR in front of a cop.
I was thinking that maybe he didn't make a full stop before turning right on red.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 282,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thanks for the info. I make rights that way sometimes to "get out of the way of drivers behind me."

I will ask him and he will have to look at the pavement marking.

This was an intersection of two large, busy streets (Rockaway Tpke./Burnside Ave.). Sometimes it is not easy to notice or tell what is technically "the shoulder." On highways it is very easy to know where you should not be travelling in (and in bad traffic you know I sometimes do see people driving up the shoulder to pass all the cars anyway!).
I'm fairly familiar with that intersection. Its quite well marked with signs & pavement markings.

Three of the four corners contain a business w/parking lots that could, potentially, be driven through to 'cut the corner'. The fourth contains an island that merges to W. Broadway, it also has a police booth on it with some restricted parking for police vehicles. (check out mapquest to see the layout) I've often seen folks use that island to make a sort of U-turn. It would technically be wrong, and could also give the appearance of avoiding a traffic device. Perhaps that's what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island