U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM

7,283 posts, read 7,707,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
A cable rep told my mother that Verizon will eventually drop them, too. I am thinking NOT.
Yeah, cablevision rep wouldn't lie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,090,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

How much more low can you get than the Dolans?
Exactly. I plan to switch tomorrow and cancel Newsday. I don't really watch too much Food Net and a little HGTV but I have been looking for an excuse to leave Cablevision and this is it. Plus, I can finally watch the NFL Network. Another situation where Cablevision was trying to 'protect it's customers" by only offering it to those that want to pay for it directly. Of course the situation is different when they own the channel being offers, like MSG, where it is then best to have all customers get it by paying a small fee, sports fan or not.

I did not know about the no HD service on MSG but it is so typical of Jim Dolan. I am a Knick fan but after watching them run the team into the ground I can live without that too. My friend doesn't live too far from cablevision in Bethpage and is constantly subject to Helicopters coming in and out of there. Jim Dolan is a clown and I am no longer giving him my money for anything he owns.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,173,474 times
Quote:
Yeah, cablevision rep wouldn't lie.
And, of course, that CV Rep knows what is going on inside Verizon & Scripps

Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM

827 posts, read 985,931 times
go to page 16 in reference guide reboot it takes 2minutes

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Status: "Hurry up and get here Thanksgiving!" (set 2 days ago)

144 posts, read 339,217 times
Quote:
Cablevisions boxes stink. I love when the thing gets hung up for like 20 seconds...you're pressing buttons...then it starts going and you're 20 channels from where you actually want to be. Cablevision: raise prices, cut channels, give worse customer service. That's their business model. I hate them. If FIOS TV was available where I live, i'd get it in a heart beat.
Humph! The recording on the DVR cable box in the livingroom crapped out on me a couple of months ago. I called up and a rep just basically said "Ah...the drive has crashed." I never dropped it, always stayed stable on the stand, not clunked full of dust...he couldn't give me a reason why it happened and no assurance that it won't again in the future! I had to swap to a new box and cross my fingers that I won't lose shows like I did before.

Now with the loss of FoodNet and HGTV (never watched that too much) it's beyond insane.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM

10,526 posts, read 11,214,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
anyone else have a LONG delay when changing channels with cablevision?
especially when going from reg def to HD, or vice versa. up to 8 - 10 seconds.
sometimes it never changes at all. it just stays on a blank screen. terrible. everytime I call to ask about it i get a different answer.
could be time to make the switch.
Had that problem on a regular basis when I had cablevision. Don't have it with FIOS.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM

10,526 posts, read 11,214,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
A cable rep told my mother that Verizon will eventually drop them, too. I am thinking NOT.
Verizon must be absolutely thrilled with this whole situation. Bad, bad move on Cablevision's fault, both channels are incredibly popular.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM

7,283 posts, read 7,707,194 times
The arrogance you see with cablevision and the Dolan boys is evidence of what a virtual monopoly leads to. These guys were born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM

12,238 posts, read 11,755,972 times
This is absolutely horrific. HGTV was the most watched thing in my house. I am so upset.
I have all these channels and the one thing I actually like, is now taken off. I really wish we could customize what we watch, I do not need foreign langugage channels, I am not into any sports what so ever, don't watch cartoons, yet I pay for all of this.
Cablevision is really a rip off. It is so expensive to channel surf all night long.
This whole removal of HGTV is really upsetting.
Unfortunetley Cablevision is zoned for my area, so we have no choice.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,173,474 times
While Congress has been fiddling with little things like Health Care, the Economy, Iraq, etc., they've tabled legislation that would require Cable Cos. to allow for Customized channels.
That certainly would solve the issue of getting only the statios you want. However, I wonder what it would do to Cable rates - possibly it would end up Raising rates by charging very high fees per station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island