Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimelle View Post
I called for a clean up today. The guy told me that the line / pipe is completely shot. it looks like it broke, that the stuff does not reach the cesspool...
Do I have to change everything cesspool + line...or can I change the line to the cesspool?
How old is the system? Orangeburg pipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,977 times
i am currently pricing out replacement pools, and i'm wondering what range you think the estimates should be in.

i have an original block pool (house was built in '62). not having any problems with it, but want to be proactive so i continue to not have any problems. last pump out was in may 2013.

from a camera inspection, main run to the pool looks like 12 feet of orangburg, but there are no fractures in the pipe, just a little grease build up from years of use. i want to pump and fill the existing, then the estimates i've been getting is to install two new precast pools, each 4x8 with covers at 4'' below grade. then obviously run new 4'' SDR main waste line from the foundation, plus piping from pool to pool.

what is a fair price for that? i'm getting prices close to 6 grand, and i think that's kind of insane.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:11 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baymenxpac View Post
i am currently pricing out replacement pools, and i'm wondering what range you think the estimates should be in.

i have an original block pool (house was built in '62). not having any problems with it, but want to be proactive so i continue to not have any problems. last pump out was in may 2013.

from a camera inspection, main run to the pool looks like 12 feet of orangburg, but there are no fractures in the pipe, just a little grease build up from years of use. i want to pump and fill the existing, then the estimates i've been getting is to install two new precast pools, each 4x8 with covers at 4'' below grade. then obviously run new 4'' SDR main waste line from the foundation, plus piping from pool to pool.

what is a fair price for that? i'm getting prices close to 6 grand, and i think that's kind of insane.
5-6K is about right for that job

Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
5-6K is about right for that job
thanks! quick question: do i need two new pools? right now we're a family of two. not planning of being more than a family of four. can i abandon the old block one, put in one new precast, and still have optimal performance?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,018 times
Quote:
thanks! quick question: do i need two new pools? right now we're a family of two. not planning of being more than a family of four. can i abandon the old block one, put in one new precast, and still have optimal performance?
That I don't know and it would be irresponsible to take a guess.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,284 times
Quote:
If the family is going to expand, get the 2nd pool. It will act as an overflow for the first if it ever backs up and will give you better piece of mind.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
That I don't know and it would be irresponsible to take a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
If the family is going to expand, get the 2nd pool. It will act as an overflow for the first if it ever backs up and will give you better piece of mind.
Thanks, guys. Talked to a few more guys and they had similar advice to jak0lantern01. Two pools will give me peace of mind for the long haul, so that's what I'm going to go.

For what it's worth, I took LIgirl's recommendation and will be using AAA Cesspool in Smithtown.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM

59 posts, read 98,592 times
We just had ours done a few months ago. House was built in late 60's and had block cesspools. We replaced EVERYTHING from the lines running out of the house to all the pools. We put in commercial grade pools (2) because we have 7 people in our house and no dry well. We do tons of laundry, showers and dishes He said we should be home free for well over 20+ years….

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 PM

59 posts, read 98,592 times
Sorry meant to include we paid $5500.00 and that included top soil/landscaping.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Please keep in mind your area/soil composition can have an impact on cost.

I don't know what the regulations are in your Town, but in Huntington you have to go down till you get to sand, which varies from area to area; the deeper you have to dig/place the tank(s), the more costly it can be.
My daughter and son-in-law had to replace theirs and the initial auger didn't go deep enough to reach sand, so they had to get additional equipment and dig a few more feet = more $$ than estimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island