Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
Okay. As a resident of Lynbrook, I wanted to confirm what "I love LI but" was saying...we pay a large separate tax to Incorporate Village of Lynbrook. As was stated, please be aware of the total tax bill when you are looking in Lynbrook as MLS does not list this separate tax and it can be quite large (ours is nearly an extra $4k a year).
At the same time that you are paying $4,000 a year in Village of Lynbrook property tax(es), how much less are your Town of Hempstead property taxes as compared to a similarly assessed property in a nearby hamlet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you!

Are there any unincorporated (meaning non-Village and non-Village property taxpaying) parts of Lynbrook that are zone for the Lynbrook SD?

There are no unincorporated parts of "Lynbrook".

By definition, Lynbrook refers to the Village of Lynbrook, and all parts of the Village of Lynbrook are in the Village of Lynbrook.

If you mean are there any parts that have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lynbrook that are zoned for the Lynbrook Union Free School District, there may be in the part of the Hamlet of Hewlett that has a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM

84 posts, read 492,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you think it's worth paying more to have your own "cop shop?" I suppose you get some tax deducted from your Nassau County portion of the property tax bill, but considering all Nassau actually gets is 30-35% (which includes maintaining the entire NCPD) and the school district eats up the majority of your property taxes, the "discount" for not using NCPD may very well be much smaller than the cost of having your own Village PD.

Well, I'd love to be paying less! I will say that I have been very happy with our police and have no experience with NCPD because we have never lived anywhere else in Nassau County.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:26 PM

84 posts, read 492,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
At the same time that you are paying $4,000 a year in Village of Lynbrook property tax(es), how much less are your Town of Hempstead property taxes as compared to a similarly assessed property in a nearby hamlet?
I have no idea. That would be interesting to find out.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 10,161 times
My parents have an East Rockaway address, and I attended Lynbrook HS/Marion St/South Middle. Everyone considered anything North of Sunrise and Merrick to be “North Lynbrook” and they do attend Lynbrook schools. Everything south of Lakeview Ave and where hempstead ave turns into franklin seemed to attend lynbrook schools. So even thought theyre not in the incorporated village, they still attend lynbrook schools. Parts of Hewlett also attend lynbrook schools. Though there are places that have a lynbrook address and attend valley stream or malverne schools, which aren’t rated as well as SD 20.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 10,161 times
additionally, my husband and i looked at two houses yesterday. one in lynbrook one in oceanside. both are 4 bd center hall colonials on 60x100 plots. the oceanside one had 8,000 a year in taxes and the lynbrook one has 15,0000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island