Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:44 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times

Advertisements

drugs come with development and poor law enforcement hope their proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, the woman who was charged with hitting the girl tried to say her male passenger was the driver. Regardless, you clearly do not work in the healthcare field or have kids in their 20s or 30s. If you do you are in denial. Most of the arrests, ODs, ect never make the news.

For those of us working in the healthcare, there is mandatory database we must use to determine if our patients are abusing narcotic drugs before prescribing. The database has been active for 2 weeks and we've already found a handful of people with a problem in our tiny dental practice. Same story for all of my colleagues in their practices around long island.
The proof is there, kids are hooked, their parents are hooked and their grandparents are hooked.
Right, clearly I don't work in the healthcare field.

Oh and clearly you're very quantitatively gifted... does the handful of people you found in your 'tiny' dental practice signify an epidemic?

Ok, let's say you're right, lots and lots of Long Island's fine, upstanding residents are oxycontin fiends. Maybe it's the high cost of living or ridiculous property taxes, but folks here are very tightly wrapped. There are lot's of reasons to anesthitize yourself here on LI.

You work in a tiny dental practice, want to stop the mom and pop addiction... stop prescribing vikes for root canals.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Make sure to remove your head from the sand next time you mow your own lawn. As much as you'd like to convince yourself that this is a spike, it is not. It continues to increase, not drop off as would occur after a spike.
Yeah ok... I'll listen to you. You're 100% correct. You're always right. Isn't that what you want to hear.

Maybe a little Oxy would help you be less argumentative. You may make more sense too. I guess you're saying the opiate explosion is not ebbing. Whatever.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Yeah ok... I'll listen to you. You're 100% correct. You're always right. Isn't that what you want to hear.

Maybe a little Oxy would help you be less argumentative. You may make more sense too. I guess you're saying the opiate explosion is not ebbing. Whatever.
I'm not trying to wind you up, but I don't understand your anger at people pointing out that there is a growing problem with the over-use, over-prescribed prescription medicine on Long Island - and certainly nationwide. While the word "epidemic" may be perhaps a stretch, I think a few of its synonyms might be more appropriate. Words such as "wide-ranging, extensive, pervasive".

As I said, I believe this is very much a nationwide problem - but Long Island is right there within that problem. And you were 100% correct in your statement to the other poster. These dental offices should knock it off with prescribing oxy, vicodin, etc. for a root canal. Suck it up people. Take a few tylenol, soak the missing tooth area with a good dousing of scotch and go to bed. You'll feel fine the next day.

People getting check-ups and when saying "I'm not sleeping too well" and getting handed a script for Ambien is right along with the above. The doctors these days are too quick to write out a prescription and this new law that went into effect a couple of weeks ago is a result of the government (and the Surgeon General) realizing that we're all becoming part of a pill popping nation. Everything is about a quick fix and instant gratification - and it's killing us and doping up our current young generation.

Don't you all remember when it became apparent that antibiotics used to treat the likes of bronchitis were becoming less effective? They were becoming less effective because people were over-using them and our bodies were becoming immune to them.

I really can't speak much about any perceived Heroin epidemic on Long Island since I'm out of that age group and not within any circle that allows me a peek into that world. I am plenty familiar, however, with the increase in prescribed medication that people are taking since everyone seems to be a freaking expert on every kind of drug out there. I am also aware of the teen "pill parties" where the kids have swiped some pills from their parent's stash in the medicine cabinet, go to a party, throw it into a bowl, and have 20 kids do the same, and then they all reach in take a few and see what kind of "high" they can get. That IS happening in LI, Queens, Brooklyn, NJ, NC, FL, TN ... you name it. Ergo, nationwide.

Someone please explain to me where this increase in kids with ADHD or Autism came from? How in the heck did Alzheimer's become so widespread and so pervasive among our elderly? Then turn your head and look to your friendly neighborhood local GP and sit in his/her waiting room and just WATCH the amount of pharmaceutical sales reps that float in and out with their free samples of pills and pizza for the staff of the office.

Hopefully to God this new system requirement where doctors are held to the fire for who they are treating, what they are prescribing and what their specialities are will put a dent in this very real problem.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
There won't be a black market for something completely legal and reasonably taxed... Alcohol as a perfect example - yes; people still make moonshine, but it's not a black market. That said, when you start pushing unreasonable taxes like with cigarettes, you do open doors for marketeers. The key is doing it right.
Today:
NY man admits smuggling untaxed Ky. cigarettes

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) – Prosecutors say a New York man has admitted smuggling untaxed cigarettes from Kentucky through an upstate Indian reservation to smoke shops on Long Island.

U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. says 62-year-old Joseph Ruda of Rockville Center and his company, Gutlove and Shirvint Inc., pleaded guilty to cigarette smuggling Tuesday in Buffalo.

Hochul says the scheme to move 58,000 cartons ordered by mail cheated New York out of more than $1.4 million in taxes and Kentucky $175,000.

He says Ruda set up the shipments through the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation to the Peace Pipe Smoke Shop on the Poospatuck Indian Reservation, where the cigarettes were bought by bootleggers for sale in New York City.

Ruda faces six months in prison. His company paid the lost taxes to New York.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:

Keep your head buried in the sand and believe whatever you wish. When one of your loved ones becomes addicted, when your home is burglarized by a local addict, if you're involved in a car accident with someone high as a kite, or when the doctor writes you that Oxy script...maybe then you'll understand.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:

Oh and clearly you're very quantitatively gifted... does the handful of people you found in your 'tiny' dental practice signify an epidemic?

Ok, let's say you're right, lots and lots of Long Island's fine, upstanding residents are oxycontin fiends. Maybe it's the high cost of living or ridiculous property taxes, but folks here are very tightly wrapped. There are lot's of reasons to anesthitize yourself here on LI.

You work in a tiny dental practice, want to stop the mom and pop addiction... stop prescribing vikes for root canals.
If you actually work in the healthcare field and don't see a massive and growing opioid addiction problem (and I'm fine with NOT calling it an epidemic), then I don't know what to tell you. Your casual ignorance of the situation or willful disregard are both alarming. I posted a bunch of stats. I didn't make them up. They come from the Attorney General's offices and the Dept of Health.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:

Congratulations. You're the winner. A handful of posts in a few days, one nastier than the next. That's a very tough record to break! Thank you for your pleasant contribution to the forum!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:31 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:

Its never too late to get help my friend...be well

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Part of thereal need/demand has been created by doctors writing scripts for Oxycontin like it wasn't something heavily addictive. There are plenty of people who don't know the full story on opiods and those who are predisposed or who have addictive tendencies.

Peqs, I've seen too much damage from a legal prescription drug. I can't imagine it getting any better if heroin were legalized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I've seen a lot of damage, too, first-hand. More than you can imagine. Still, if someone has addictive tendencies, there's no telling what they might get into. I suppose the path of least resistance could be pain killers, or alcohol, or other drugs. I still think that most people can take them and do fine. I wonder what did people take for severe pain before this widespread use of oxy/vics? I'm confident this new database will stop a major source of this problem (virtual drug dealer docs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you sure the banks doing business outside the states in particular are such scaredy cats when they've already gotten away with money laundering for straight up illegal drugs? Wasn't it Pequa, the man you are addressing, that posted an article about the big banks getting slaps on the wrist like fines that only consist of 1 days' profit or something for doing massive banking for the Mexican drug cartels, including custom sizing extra large drop boxes at the branches in Mexico so the mules could deposit extremely large bundles of US currency into them easily? Pequa, do you remember that article about the big banks actually laundering drug money and getting slaps on the wrists? Can you relink to that article? Because if I remember correctly, there's nothing for banks to be afraid of with dealing with dispensaries and wholesalers if they got away with that.
That story sounds familiar, but I can't seem to find the link. A google search for "money laundering banks" turns up tons of results, though. HSBC and BOFA both have multiple instances of this. The banks would bankroll a cockfighting ring if they could. They'll bankroll anything and everything until it gets the Feds attention. Capitalism at its finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
If you actually work in the healthcare field and don't see a massive and growing opioid addiction problem (and I'm fine with NOT calling it an epidemic), then I don't know what to tell you. Your casual ignorance of the situation or willful disregard are both alarming. I posted a bunch of stats. I didn't make them up. They come from the Attorney General's offices and the Dept of Health.
I'm curious though why you didn't post more recent stats. I'd be interested in seeing more of those. 2010 is somewhat stale numbers when dealing with a trend like this. I thought scripts and usage were actually on the decline (-9% as per recent stories).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post

As I said, I believe this is very much a nationwide problem - but Long Island is right there within that problem. And you were 100% correct in your statement to the other poster. These dental offices should knock it off with prescribing oxy, vicodin, etc. for a root canal. Suck it up people. Take a few tylenol, soak the missing tooth area with a good dousing of scotch and go to bed. You'll feel fine the next day.

It's definitely a nationwide, even a worldwide problem in all developed nations. I don't know why people seem to think LI is special in this regard. I have to ask though, have you ever had (or know anyone who's had) any major infections or surgeries where the pain was so bad you couldn't move much, or sleep at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island