Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times

Advertisements

everything you say is true. I'm on my way to Riverhead Jail tonight to visit a young member of my family that resided in a town you mentioned that is serving 8 months for selling to an undercover.

This thing is really big and really ugly, the jail is PACKED with lilly-white "kids" that come from "good homes" that let this demon get in them.

The visiting room is a nightmare, there's always at least 5 "kids" that are still "dope-sick" having their first visit.
I've been on LI my whole life and lived through a couple of generations of drug trends,had a cousin that became a crack addict in the 90's, knew a neighbors kid that was addicted to ketamine & ecstasy but this thing is SHOCKING to me.

Stay clean kid, you still have your whole life in front of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
In the news today Massapequa H.S. will be getting drug sniffing dogs.

They should do this in all the schools. But its what happens after school that is the issue too.

Last summer I was in the Calhoun H.S. parking lot sitting in my car waiting for my son to get done with football practice. Reading a book, enjoying the weather when two cars pull up right near me. A drug deal just went down with me right there. I couldn't believe it. One kid got out of the car, went into the other and then back into his and both took off. I was watching the whole thing. Stunned. Didn't know what to do, what could I do.
And they couldn't have cared less that I saw them.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,671 times
the news and nowhere as deep as the problem really is. i honestly dont know if the police nor the schools are doing as much as they can to stop the problem. i witnessed someone pick up herion, shootup, someone called the cops, they search him, find the needle and baggie, then later i saw him and he clamed they beat him then let him go with no ticket or anything. i see kids in school soo doped up and the teachers or security dont even realize. i dont think the problems gonna go anywhere for a while, as long as its a wealthy community. [mod] language [/mod] dope, smoke trees...

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
Does anyone know the scale of the drug problem in Centereach? I don't believe I have ever seen it referenced as a problem town. I wonder if the schools are just trying to keep it under the radar...

Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 AM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
Just a bit of sad information to add about the drug problem-my daughter is in middle school-half hollow hills-and the police came to arrest a couple of 8th graders for marijuana-i guess pot now, heroin later-

To the original poster-thanks for sharing and good luck on your continued work in recovery-

Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Does anyone know the scale of the drug problem in Centereach? I don't believe I have ever seen it referenced as a problem town. I wonder if the schools are just trying to keep it under the radar...

Not Centereach in particular but the Middle Country Road Corridor is riddled with it.

I went bowling at Coram lanes last week it was packed with quasi wanna be gangsta white kids blown out on smack.

Its sad.

Crooks

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM

213 posts, read 703,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZER View Post
Im 19 years old ive been clean for 6 months from heroin and yet another friend of mine has died of an overdose (massapequa)

Massapequa has nothing on Smithtown though, my friends from there can count up to 50+ overdoses in the past 2 years from heroin overdoses or other drug related deaths. Ronkonkoma is horrible aswell.

I was in rehab with the kid who hit and killed the 12 year old girl in Smithtown days before thanksgiving. He was high on heroin.

The heroin epidemic is much worse than most people think, ive seen it first hand.

The best heroin is coming into the island from Manhattan, Queens, and Washington Heights. Alot from brooklyn too.

Im not trying to brag but I know all the technicals and the biggest suppliers on the island.

The largest one recently has been arrested. He had a house in Oakdale and was selling upwards of 2,000 bags of heroin per week. It was a huge blow to suffolk county but its still coming in like crazy.

All these white kids just drive to the projects in crown heights, or flatbush, or washington heights... and im not trying to be racial but if you see a white fiend in the projects all the black people run up to your car to get to it first because they know what your doing there.

Its bizarre how, atleast long island, is completely reversed in terms of drugs...

(note: i just got out of phoenix house for teens)
All the kids that were there from Hempstead, Brentwood, Amityville, Westbury... to put it bluntly, all the black and spanish kids... were in the rehab for smoking weed and selling crack, heroin, etc.

All the kids from Smithtown, Ronkonkoma, Manorville, Northport, Massapequa, Bohemia, etc., to put it blunty, the white kids... were there for hardcore heroin use, crack cocaine use, ecstasy use, xanax use, oxycontin use, etc.

Its just bizarre. Im hispanic myself but, it really seems like the African American community saw what drugs did to their elders of the 70's 80's and early 90's and now they just sell the drugs, they dont do the drugs.

Congratulations and best of luck on your recovery. I have been told by some law enforcement that the heroin coming into Suffolk is a result of hispanic gangs that are growing out east. The suppliers are not young adults but blue collar hispanic businessmen running landscape and contracting businesses as well as suppling drugs to younger gang members. Nassau has always had drugs coming in from the city and there is no avoiding the fact that we will have it hit us from both ends. The key is educating the families and students and the schools have the responsibility to do that. Unfortunately I think the federal government just cut drug prevention funding to schools from their budget.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
Congratulations and best of luck on your recovery. I have been told by some law enforcement that the heroin coming into Suffolk is a result of hispanic gangs that are growing out east. The suppliers are not young adults but blue collar hispanic businessmen running landscape and contracting businesses as well as suppling drugs to younger gang members. Nassau has always had drugs coming in from the city and there is no avoiding the fact that we will have it hit us from both ends. The key is educating the families and students and the schools have the responsibility to do that. Unfortunately I think the federal government just cut drug prevention funding to schools from their budget.

Where are the parents? Aren't they partly responsible for informing their children of the dangers lurking out there?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Where are the parents? Aren't they partly responsible for informing their children of the dangers lurking out there?

Of course, that doesn't mean kids listen. The problem with this new epidemic is that it starts with prescription pills..kids get their hands on some hydrocodone or OXy..they take a few and they see that it numbs all their pain and worries. Notice how prescription drugs are advertised on TV EVERY NIGHT? How is that acceptable?

Now they want more, some kid at school is lifting some from their moms "fibromyalgia" stash. $30 a pill.

Okay, that stuff isn't around this week and I"m running out of money from working at Dairy Barn....some friend says "hey, you can get the same high off this stuff, for much cheaper, and you just snort it.."

Then maybe they start smoking it.

Before long they're full blown addicts.

They don't just go to a party and start injecting themselves.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
The key is educating the families and students and the schools have the responsibility to do that.
We tried that already, it was called DARE and health class and it's a failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island