Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We tried that already, it was called DARE and health class and it's a failure.
You're right, DARE and health class was a BIG JOKE when I went to school. You want to scare kids straight - you take every one of them into a morgue to see a person who OD'd. You show them before and after pics of folks on crystal meth. You either bring them in front of, or bring the convict to the classroom - the heavy drug dealer kind. You bring them to the cemetary and show them the headstones of those who never lived to see PROM. You take them on a class trip into the projects and LEAVE THEM THERE. Let them find their way out.

If any of that doesn't scare them straight, nothing will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
You're right, DARE and health class was a BIG JOKE when I went to school. You want to scare kids straight - you take every one of them into a morgue to see a person who OD'd. You show them before and after pics of folks on crystal meth. You either bring them in front of, or bring the convict to the classroom - the heavy drug dealer kind. You bring them to the cemetary and show them the headstones of those who never lived to see PROM. You take them on a class trip into the projects and LEAVE THEM THERE. Let them find their way out.

Exactly, kind of like these new proposed anti-tobacco advertisements. Scare the Moderator cut: language out of them. It's the only option we have left before we have to let the loonies legalize drugs.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-21-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Exactly, kind of like these new proposed anti-tobacco advertisements. Scare the out of them. It's the only option we have left before we have to let the loonies legalize drugs.
That's part of the problem behind the "just say no" mentality, though. You demonize something relatively benign like pot (and no, I don't smoke pot but I know plenty of people who do, and I think alcohol is far more destructive), and then in the same breath you demonize speed and heroin, making very little distinction in regard to the severity of the drug.

Then people try pot and they say "wow, they really made this out to be some horribly dangerous stuff, and it isn't. The old people must be lying about everything to keep me from having fun. "

so then that mentality carries on to things that REALLY ARE dangerous.

There's very little reason to keep pot from being legal other than wanting to continue to waste time, money, and prison space on a relatively harmless plant.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-21-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

There's very little reason to keep pot from being legal other than wanting to continue to waste time, money, and prison space on a relatively harmless plant.
Really, ever see a person high on pot drive a car? Harmless, huh?
It's harmless if you're at home by yourself and toking, it's not harmless if you are driving a car, train or plane. I can see it now, the LIRR engineer, he lights up a joint, takes a few tokes and then get's in the cab. "It's medicinal, it calms me from all the stress I incur driving down to Jamaica." I'll take the next train, if there is one.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Really, ever see a person high on pot drive a car? Harmless, huh?
It's harmless if you're at home by yourself and toking, it's not harmless if you are driving a car, train or plane. I can see it now, the LIRR engineer, he lights up a joint, takes a few tokes and then get's in the cab. "It's medicinal, it calms me from all the stress I incur driving down to Jamaica." I'll take the next train, if there is one.
It's illegal to drive a car while intoxicated already. Making pot legal wouldn't change that. Not that hard to figure out. You sound like my 65 year old dad with his head all full of 60's era anti-hippie propaganda. "Drinking a beer isn't like smoking pot!!! " Eh, yeah, yes is.

A guy on the LIRR can go by a fifth of vodka before going on the train now. Does pot encourage people to use it under inappropriate circumstances more than drinking does?

Weird to hear this kind of nonsense coming from smart people. Think about the fallacy of your argument.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It's illegal to drive a car while intoxicated already. Making pot legal wouldn't change that. Not that hard to figure out. You sound like my 65 year old dad with his head all full of 60's era anti-hippie propaganda. "Drinking a beer isn't like smoking pot!!! " Eh, yeah, yes is.

A guy on the LIRR can go by a fifth of vodka before going on the train now. Does pot encourage people to use it under inappropriate circumstances more than drinking does?

Weird to hear this kind of nonsense coming from smart people. Think about the fallacy of your argument.
This is actually a subject for another thread, but to keep it on this forum we need to make it LI specific.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
This is actually a subject for another thread, but to keep it on this forum we need to make it LI specific.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.
Specific to LI, making pot legal here would have little or no impact on the heroin epidemic either way, in the short run.

In the long run, some people think it would "gateway" more people into harder drugs. I disagree. I think making it legal would separate it from truly dangerous drugs.

As for the compliment, you're smart on financial matters, dumb on this one.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Pot is not an addictive narcotic, whereas all the oxy and vicodin type pills in the medicine cabiniets are. Those are the true gateway drugs since their effects most closely mimic the effects of heroin.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
Quote:
In the long run, some people think it would "gateway" more people into harder drugs. I disagree. I think making it legal would separate it from truly dangerous drugs.
Agreed. The only reason it is a "gateway drug" is because it is illegal, and you have to associate yourself with drug dealers to get it.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:

Great ideas!

I would add:

Take them to a crack house or shooting gallery and let them see what's going on in there.

Introduce them to prostitutes who became hookers to support their drug habits.

Show them the real world of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island