U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,039 posts, read 4,676,513 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just look at the riots in England. The result of multiculturalism and diversity.
Seriously, where do you get this stuff... Try poverty and austerity.

 
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
 
30 posts, read 33,448 times
Reputation: 17
Default Brentwood

My dear brother still lives in brentwood, one Sunday afternoon my wife and I got off the sunken meadow and passed the 7 eleven on wicks road, out of the corner of my eye, a man had his pants off uriniting as he walked down the street.....welcome to brentwood,, I know there are many great people of all races trying to get by, but the savages drive the good people out of Brentwood and off the island.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,960 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrocky View Post
My dear brother still lives in brentwood, one Sunday afternoon my wife and I got off the sunken meadow and passed the 7 eleven on wicks road, out of the corner of my eye, a man had his pants off uriniting as he walked down the street.....welcome to brentwood,, I know there are many great people of all races trying to get by, but the savages drive the good people out of Brentwood and off the island.
ROFLOL!!! That's so funny! and I could so picture the scene in my mind...
 
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
 
147 posts, read 160,145 times
Reputation: 36
I am 39 and I grew up in Suffolk. Even back then Brentwood was not considered to be nice.
 
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
 
751 posts, read 452,257 times
Reputation: 599
I'm thinking that Pilgrim State Hospital (now known as Pilgrim Psychiatric Center), as well as the then-existent and nearby Central Islip Psychiatric Center, had a very large need for many many persons to work at their lower-level labor force (i.e, custodial, orderlies, security, housestaff, cafeteria staff, drivers, etc. etc. etc.) and it wasn't practical for this lower-level, lower-paid staff to live at a great distance from there (being that Long Island is so expensive to live in and it would be too onerous to expect people to commute in daily from the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and elsewhere). So this may have been an additional factor for the drive to get many lower income persons and families to live in or near Brentwood and Central Islip. For they would be taking jobs that many of the more affluent and higher-socioeconomic-class Long Islanders wouldn't want to take.

Just entertaining this possibility (though I don't know for absolute sure that this was a contributing factor to Brentwood becoming majority lower-income Hispanic and Black). And, as well, many other communities arouind Suffolk and Nassau also have a need for a non-professional, lower-paid labor force (of whatever race, ethnicity, creed, et al) to fill all the other non-professional, lower-paid positions throughout Long Island and these people DO need a place to live that is affordable and situated relatively near to where they are needed to work in such non-professional, lower-paid positions.
 
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,696 posts, read 15,391,147 times
Reputation: 4542
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I'm thinking that Pilgrim State Hospital (now known as Pilgrim Psychiatric Center), as well as the then-existent and nearby Central Islip Psychiatric Center, had a very large need for many many persons to work at their lower-level labor force (i.e, custodial, orderlies, security, housestaff, cafeteria staff, drivers, etc. etc. etc.) and it wasn't practical for this lower-level, lower-paid staff to live at a great distance from there (being that Long Island is so expensive to live in and it would be too onerous to expect people to commute in daily from the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and elsewhere). So this may have been an additional factor for the drive to get many lower income persons and families to live in or near Brentwood and Central Islip. For they would be taking jobs that many of the more affluent and higher-socioeconomic-class Long Islanders wouldn't want to take.

Just entertaining this possibility (though I don't know for absolute sure that this was a contributing factor to Brentwood becoming majority lower-income Hispanic and Black). And, as well, many other communities arouind Suffolk and Nassau also have a need for a non-professional, lower-paid labor force (of whatever race, ethnicity, creed, et al) to fill all the other non-professional, lower-paid positions throughout Long Island and these people DO need a place to live that is affordable and situated relatively near to where they are needed to work in such non-professional, lower-paid positions.
I believe these are all valid points to a degree -- it needs to be looked at from an historical perspective.

Many of these facilities were constructed as self-contained communities. Staff lived on the premises. LI wasn't developed in the sense we have come to know; in fact Kings Park and Central Islip came into existence in the late 1800's, followed by Pilgrim State in the early 1930's.

LI in those years was primarily either farmland or a playground for the wealthy. Staff lived on the estates; some farmhands lived on the farms and some might have lived off the farms. The majority of the farms where in the middle of the island.

The railroad and carriages served to transport visitors/guests/casual staff. There was no commuting as we know it. (At least not until post WWII) It would stand to reason that if someone had the need to be near the facility, that some off premise housing would develop. I can only make a leap here and guess that as either funding to the facilities shrank, or admissions increased, that it became economically unfeasible to build more staff housing on the grounds.

Brentwood already had had a failed attempt at creating a Utopian enclave, Modern Times. Housing already existed, some necessities were already there. Farms were nearby as a source for food, and the railroad wasn't very far. Building supplies can be had, farmers can sell their land off and make money, homes (which won't require a lot of land) can go up for staff.


I tried locating an antique map of the area and found this instead, which helps explain the development of CI. If doesn't specifically mention minorities in the beginning, but lists " an influx doctors, attendants and other workers including many Irish immigrant families" when the psychiatric facility opened it's doors in 1887. This is too close to the end of the Civil War, so I am going to wager that there were few African Americans included in this grouping.

History (http://www.suffolk.lib.ny.us/libraries/cisp/ci_hist.htm - broken link)

My hypothesis: as the facilities grew and as more lower level positions opened up and became available to minority individuals, the influx of minorities into the area commenced. When they left urban areas for the fresh air and open space on LI, word reached their friends and family and they, too, moved out seeking a better way of life. As with any group people tend to move among the people they share something with -- culture, color, career, education, etc.
 
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,433 times
Reputation: 12
I am not sure of exactly when but my father worked at Pilgrim State Hospital in Brentwood. I Didn't live with him as my parents were divorced and I lived in Brooklyn. Anyway I'm also not sure when the hospital was closed but it employed a lot of people that I imagine lived there. So it may be possible that when it closed they left to find work elsewheres. can someone he lived there add anything to this?
 
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,433 times
Reputation: 12
I was not aware when I wrote this that it was already brought up. I an my dad are caucasian and I don't think that many minorities worked ther but I may be wrong.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,350 times
Reputation: 13
All in all the current dynasty in office have to go if we ever are going to at least get a chance to begin chipping away at getting our district back. I have a battle on my hands because the party pull the strings with these guys and they don't want to give that up. The last time they brought Patterson and they had automated calls to all voters from Hillary Clinton etc. But I will be bringing it to the constituents home by home and to the streets and I have a sound backing for next year. This time they can bring obama, I have heard the people and they are fed up. Samuel Gonzalez 2012....
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: brentwood ny
11 posts, read 7,371 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent-thinker View Post
I am not sure of exactly when but my father worked at Pilgrim State Hospital in Brentwood. I Didn't live with him as my parents were divorced and I lived in Brooklyn. Anyway I'm also not sure when the hospital was closed but it employed a lot of people that I imagine lived there. So it may be possible that when it closed they left to find work elsewheres. can someone he lived there add anything to this?

still open many ppl still work there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top