Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM

17 posts, read 198,474 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried to move a king size bed and box springs with a pick up truck? Or, should I rent a van or small truck? I will be driving a long distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortense1919 View Post
Has anyone tried to move a king size bed and box springs with a pick up truck? Or, should I rent a van or small truck? I will be driving a long distance.
You don't mention the make or size of the truck so it is hard to judge for certain, however, since it is a long distance and if you are locked into a specific date and it snows or rains, then you are adding more problems. Additionally you don;t know if you are permitted on the roads like that so I would either rent a van or you can ship it. There is a company on line called USHIP.com and another called Transit Systems that you should check into as you may be very surprised at the cost.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
The fact you're asking here leads me to believe you're trying to do this on the cheap. If you're trying to do this on the cheap, it leads me to believe the mattress isn't something of ultra high value you're willing to trasporting properly.

So it should fit.
You can fold the mattress and tie it so it doesn't spring open during the trip . The boxspring should be 2 twin size boxes. load into the bed on its side lengthwise and you should be good to go. If you have an 8" bed you will be able to close the gate. Tie the whole thing down and cover it with plastic tarp so it doesn't become FOD or get exposed to the elements.

If you don't want to fold the mattress, you're going to have to seek other options.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
A U-haul is less than $30 isn't it? I would never transport an entire bed among the elements. A wrapped mattress maybe...

And each time we've moved, the bed was easy enough to take apart. You still have the box spring & mattress which may not even all fit in the pickup.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM

233 posts, read 753,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
A U-haul is less than $30 isn't it? I would never transport an entire bed among the elements. A wrapped mattress maybe...

And each time we've moved, the bed was easy enough to take apart. You still have the box spring & mattress which may not even all fit in the pickup.
I second this.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
If you fold it the springs will pop. That's why a reputable mover will crate mattresses.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:

I have pick ups and vans. Last thing I would do is move a king sized bed in a pick up -- while the frame and the twin box springs will fit, the mattress is going to be very awkward. Combine that with the rate of speed, weather, and how adept the person tying down the whole shebang is -- it's not worth the potential grief.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
So Jed...did you hit that black gold?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times
Quote:
Well this guy did quite a lot at home depot. I'm sure you could haul the bed with no problem.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM

17 posts, read 198,474 times
Yeah, I saw that picture online too. It's awesome.

I'd considered U-haul, but I'm not happy about pulling a trailer. Checked with Penske, but the move would cost about $400 due to mileage involved, which is too much.

It's a new bed, and a good one. It definitely cannot be bent, not that I wanted to.

And yes, I am trying to transport it cheaply. As it may not be possible, I just called a moving company for a quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island