Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

Just read the article in Newsday about the unfortunate accident on the LIE near Round Swamp Road yesterday. I knew the LIE was closed but didnt know the reason.

Why was this woman driving in the second lane when she had car problems? Why didn't she get off the expressway pronto?

I read she was from Haiti..or, at least, her parent were. Not to be so UN-PC but I have noticed that people from the Carribean drive in a different style. Usually very slow with little regard for the traffic around them.

Many people from other cultures have a hard time adjusting to the NY driving style. Ask anyone who lives in Flushing and drives with Koreans how often they stop for no reason. Its dangerous but little can be said because you would be branded a racist.

We really need to address the driving skills of people who come from a different culture before they are allowed to drive in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Unfortunately there are a lot of people from other cultures -- as well as those born and raised here -- who have a lot to learn about driving. Worse yet, many of these folks don't have licenses or insurance. There was a local accident (no injuries, property damage only) and the driver was unlicensed, car unregistered with a FL tag slapped on the back to give the vehicle the appearance of legitimacy.

This is nothing new and is only snowballing as more and more people flood into this country legally and illegally.

Laws are only for the law abiding.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
She might not have been able to get over. You know how drivers in this godforsaken area are.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why was this woman driving in the second lane when she had car problems? Why didn't she get off the expressway pronto?
in each question lies the answer...

and just in case you're still having a hard time coming up with the answer, i bolded it for you...

Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I had been trying to find details and still news12.com has the crappy write-up with nearly no actual information... and newsday is being whiny about a subscription... so here's nytimes...

Fatal Truck Explosion Closes Long Island Expressway 10 Hours - NYTimes.com

BTW, if we're going to stereotype... stop buying crappy american cars like Neons that break down for no good reason.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Seems to me that the oil truck driver was more than likely speeding and lost control.

Want to bet he wasnt going 55 mph?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I read she was driving a Dodge Neon. I made the mistake ONCE of buying one of my kids one of those! Never again! They might as well put a "blow me up" button on the dashboard. Many reports of those cars doing things like the air bags blowing up at any time and you sneeze in that car and the head gasket blows up ruining the engine.

Never again would I ever want to step foot in a Dodge Neon. Car lasted about 2 weeks and the head gasket croaked.
Anyway could be the reason for the whole incident, that car is very flaky and dangerous.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Dodge Neon = please recycle me at the nearest junkyard ASAP before I blow up in your face.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Seems to me that the oil truck driver was more than likely speeding and lost control.

Want to bet he wasnt going 55 mph?
Speeding and probably talking on a cell phone. Might have had mechanical problems, too. I was on the LIE a week ago Saturday morning, driving westbound past exit 48 around 8 AM. Just about every car and truck was flying along. I was keeping up with the flow, checked out the speedo and noticed I was doing over 70.

The state's budget could be balanced with some serious traffic/speed enforcement on the LIE!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
in each question lies the answer...

and just in case you're still having a hard time coming up with the answer, i bolded it for you...

Hahahaha-so funny-not really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island