Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times

Advertisements

I was just reading through the Illegal Apt in Islip thread when I realized that my parent's house may have a violation. I was hoping someone would know the answer to this. They have owned the house since 1970. Just the two of them live there. Since the basement was so big and so bright, my Dad added a stove and a sink into the laundry room and this became the primary kitchen since the 70's. The original kitchen is still on the ground floor, but I could count on one hand the amount of times the stove has been on in the past 30 years.

If I read the post correctly, this "second" kitchen downstairs would be a violation. Is that true? They are in their late 80's, so I do not want to freak them out - and this is definitely not a case of them renting anything out.

Any comments would be appreciated. I had no idea we were doing or had done anything illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

120 posts, read 216,950 times
Remove the stove then it is not considered a "kitchen".

Old 01-24-2010, 06:40 PM

That makes it easy for me in the future. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
It is NOT illegal. The basement is not being used as an apartment and being rented out so don't worry about it.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 AM

120 posts, read 216,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It is NOT illegal. The basement is not being used as an apartment and being rented out so don't worry about it.
try explaining it to the town, it wont do you any good. the law is the law and if you have 2 stoves, you have 2 kitchens and thats considered an apartment. they dont care if your pet fish live down there.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 AM

88 posts, read 480,773 times
Flo Rider is correct. It is nothing to worry about while they are living there, but before the house can ever be sold or before they have a inspector come in for any CO they would have to get that second stove out of there.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm not going to bother telling them about this. As pjes said, it won't be a problem now, and the stove can be moved out at a future date if required. I'm just glad that due to this board, I am at least aware there is a problem. Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
It depends on the basement itself, things like: height of the ceiling, where the boiler is, the size of the windows, whether there is a separate outside entrance. Cellar type basements (low ceiling, little windows a person couldn't climb out of, etc.) have more restrictions than others. The way you describe it, sounds like it is a basement that would allow for what they call a "summer kitchen."

Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Maybe, I_Love_LI_but, but they DO live in an incorporated village and from past dealings with that agency, I would say they would deem this a problem. Just to answer your questions though, the ceiling height is 8 feet, this 2nd kitchen is a seperate room (i.e. the laundry room) containing the washer, dryer, sink, stove, kitchen cabinets, vent for stove (to outside), the boiler. It has its own window AND the door to the backyard is right there too. I had the house inspected about 6 years ago since I wanted to make sure the wiring through-out the house was current. The independent inspector spent hours at the house in every nook and cranny (including this 2nd kitchen) and everything was in excellent shape and to code.

But now I know better - when the time comes, the stove will go.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Maybe, I_Love_LI_but, but they DO live in an incorporated village and from past dealings with that agency, I would say they would deem this a problem. Just to answer your questions though, the ceiling height is 8 feet, this 2nd kitchen is a seperate room (i.e. the laundry room) containing the washer, dryer, sink, stove, kitchen cabinets, vent for stove (to outside), the boiler. It has its own window AND the door to the backyard is right there too. I had the house inspected about 6 years ago since I wanted to make sure the wiring through-out the house was current. The independent inspector spent hours at the house in every nook and cranny (including this 2nd kitchen) and everything was in excellent shape and to code.

But now I know better - when the time comes, the stove will go.
Yes, it's all up to the municipality that the house falls under and some are stricter than others!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: