Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Town of Babylon or Town of Islip?
Islip 6 15.79%
Babylon 32 84.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM

9,925 posts, read 23,084,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estive View Post
So, to revive this thread (perhaps): I took a drive over to Lindenhurst a couple of weeks ago to check out the downtown/village area. It seemed like 1/3 of the stores were vacant/for rent. Is this something new? Has it gotten worse in the last couple of years? There are definitely things to like about the town, but the amount of vacant real estate around the village area worries me.
Many downtown areas look like that at the moment - it's the economy, and it shows everywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,614,940 times
Default A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estive View Post
So, to revive this thread (perhaps): I took a drive over to Lindenhurst a couple of weeks ago to check out the downtown/village area. It seemed like 1/3 of the stores were vacant/for rent. Is this something new? Has it gotten worse in the last couple of years? There are definitely things to like about the town, but the amount of vacant real estate around the village area worries me.

All of the Village of Lindenhurst, downtown business area or not, is in the village.

A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 PM

9,146 posts, read 13,178,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Just another thought,,,around 1995 Newsday did a "What If, We got a Class 5 Hurricane",,,well here's the deal, the only thing above flood level would by NCMC and any Hospital of High Rise over 3 Stories. All the airports, Homes and 90% of the Island would be submerged! You hear it all the time these days,,,all over the Country, "We lived here our entire Lives and never flooded" Spoken by a true Mississippian, when the River crested 15 ft above Mean High! God have mercy on us, this is nver the case, because we could not all get off the Island in time~ Were all at RISK!
While I am worried about hurricanes, there is NO WAY 90% of Long Island would be submerged in a Category 5 hurricane. I have seen maps of tidal surge for category 4 hurricanes which show floodwaters just about reaching Sunrise Highway in some places.

We have hills of 200-400 feet on Long Island, which is higher than most other coastal areas along the East and Gulf Coasts. If it was possible for a hurricane to cover most of the Island, we might as well evacuate the entire East Coast and all move inland.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,741 times
Forgot that I posted this thread. So far so good in Lindy. It's quiet and everyone is pretty friendly. Lot's of great places to go in the Village itself and I find that it's pretty close to anything else that you'd need. I like that I can smell the salt air from the bay (not the low tide kind). I'm hoping for some resurgence in the Village for the empty store fronts. Give it time and I bet there will be some new shops.
I'm still getting beef from people when I tell them I moved to Lindenhurst. "Oh, you moved to Lindenhurst, is that a good area?" I let them know that it is and with pride.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM

9,925 posts, read 23,084,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagheddie View Post
Forgot that I posted this thread. So far so good in Lindy. It's quiet and everyone is pretty friendly. Lot's of great places to go in the Village itself and I find that it's pretty close to anything else that you'd need. I like that I can smell the salt air from the bay (not the low tide kind). I'm hoping for some resurgence in the Village for the empty store fronts. Give it time and I bet there will be some new shops.
I'm still getting beef from people when I tell them I moved to Lindenhurst. "Oh, you moved to Lindenhurst, is that a good area?" I let them know that it is and with pride.
Glad you're happy with your choice.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 PM

138 posts, read 490,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagheddie View Post
NICE !

feel the same. so far, so good.
i love walking to the village - get a slice, an italian ice, go to the library, etc.

matter of fact, if it isn't raining tonight, we'll stroll to the library.

it'd be great if that big bank building (west side of wellwood, south of hoffman) would turn into a resturant/bar somewhat like the Library Cafe in F'dale. And that corner spot just north of the tracks seems like a good place for a business.
looks like there is a burger place coming - TOP BUN.
We'll see.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM

11 posts, read 25,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&C View Post
I have to agree. I've been living here for 5 years now, move from Wantagh. Me and my wife really like it here. We live in the village so we can walk to just about anything. The nice coffee shop, train, banks, bakery's, post office, bars, shops etc. I too would love to see the downtown area become more like Babylon but I do believe it will happen as there are more professionals moving here such as ourselves. This town has a lot to offer young couples and families looking for a great suburban town. It's a safe neighborhood with good schools and conveniently located to beaches and the city.

The people are more friendly than I'm used to coming from Wantagh. The Wantagh/Bellmore area is a little snooty for my taste. Most of the people that live on the same block don't even waive or talk to each other. I hate that and am glad that Lindenhurst is NOT like that. We're very glad we moved here! Good luck to you in your new home.
I came from Wantagh too and i have to agree 110% about the snooty people. Everyone keeps telling me how wonderful it is. We moved from Elmont to Wantagh when i was 5 years old and we were snubbed the second we moved in. No one says hello or waves. When i got married i moved to Valley Stream and the people are so much more down to earth. Makes me realize how snotty Wantagh really was. I am also currently looking to move to the Lindenhurst/West Babylon Area.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM

90 posts, read 216,305 times
We just bouht in LHurst too. Will be moving his weekend. Seems real nice. Best bang for the buck I could find on the island. Does anyone know the fence codes? I heard you could go 6ft high from the front of the structure, true?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,614,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
Does anyone know the fence codes?
If your property is in the Village of Lindehurst, then you would want to ask the village about their fence codes; if your property is in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst ("Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address) or in the Hamlet of West Babylon ("Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address), then you would want to ask the Town of Babylon about their fence codes.

If you don't know, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in a house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
I have lived in Lindy for 37 years, I also wish the down town area would revive itself. When I was on Hoffman ave I saw the new building where the new pizzeria is located. That landlord is brilliant, instead of a for rent sign on a dirty window this landlord must of had a professional decorate the windows and it looks really classy even though there are empty stores it dosen't look terrible and abandoned. If ever in the downtown area drive by and see for yourself. By the way, don't remember the name of the new pizzeria my husband goes there often. The pizza is outstanding. It is on the corner of Hoffman and 2nd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island