Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Town of Babylon or Town of Islip?
Islip 6 15.79%
Babylon 32 84.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,766 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a couple of forums and threads on here, mostly this vs. that kinda thing. I realize it all comes down to personal preference but I read (and hear) mixed reviews about Lindenhurst all the time. My mothers family is from the area and I will soon be closing on a house there, currently I'm in Islip. I happen to think Lindenhurst is quite nice. Are there some dumpy streets and businesses? Sure, but I think many areas have positive and negative attributes. I think many would agree that the amenities in the Town of Babylon are way better than anything in the Town of Islip. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM

125 posts, read 252,616 times
I agree that every area has its positive and negatives but thats why some people like to live here and other dont, depending what they like. I grew up in bklyn and moved many times, inc out of state and Lindenhurst reminds me of a bklyn with trees. The people are very nice but the "look" of Lindenhurst is what I dont like. I wish people would just keep up with their propertu appearance as many just dont seem to care. Most areas have good blocks or bad but Lindenhurst has a mixed bag on every block, a gorgeous house next to white trash, but again, people are nice. I lived here for 6 yrs and only bought here because it was the cheapest, nicest area that I could afford. Well, I just sold my house and lost practically all my money and Im off to AZ soon. Ny is just too expensive to be able to live nicely w/o paying these crazy taxes...Good luck with your new house...

Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 AM

120 posts, read 217,074 times
its not that bad. Ive dated alot of girls from there. its turning into a young family's "affordable dream". plenty of my friends from massapequa have moved there.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM

85 posts, read 233,404 times
The only problem I have with it is when people call it "Lindy". Sorry, I just hate that !

Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
I think a lot of the mixed reviews has to do with stereotyping from the past. Levittown was considered a "white trash" area just like Lindenhurst back in the day. Fast forward to NOW and young professionals are buying in these areas because its all they can afford on LI, so the education, income levels, etc., of the residents are improving and the neighborhoods are too. The standard of living on LI (and in the rest of the country) is steadily going down from the standard of living in the past, so towns that were considered "tacky" or "iffy" are now generating renewed interest from young homebuyers who could probably never afford to live in one of the "professional towns" where they grew up. So don't feel funny about buying in Lindenhurst. You will be fine.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM

125 posts, read 252,616 times
Thats the reason I brought in Lindenhurst 5 yrs ago because I couldnt afford the nicer areas but I just sold my house and lost lots of money because it is still on the cheaper side. I hope it does get a better "look" to it one day.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think a lot of the mixed reviews has to do with stereotyping from the past. Levittown was considered a "white trash" area just like Lindenhurst back in the day. Fast forward to NOW and young professionals are buying in these areas because its all they can afford on LI, so the education, income levels, etc., of the residents are improving and the neighborhoods are too. The standard of living on LI (and in the rest of the country) is steadily going down from the standard of living in the past, so towns that were considered "tacky" or "iffy" are now generating renewed interest from young homebuyers who could probably never afford to live in one of the "professional towns" where they grew up. So don't feel funny about buying in Lindenhurst. You will be fine.
I think Lindy has gentrified considerably (along with W Bab).
The shacks in the flood zone creep me out a little but other than that its a cute downtown with decent schools low taxes etc.

I think its a good value and definitely on the reboubnd.

It would be on my short list if I was married to a NYC commute.

Crooks

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Great point.

Thats what we saw happen in Miller Place Sound Beach and Rocky Point over the last 10-20 years.

Most of my neighbors are from Northport thru 3V and were looking for affordable North Shore and the RE value improved along with the residents.

The NE Brookhaven has gentrified significantly over the years.
This was soooooooo different out here in the 80s.

Lindy gets a thumbs up from me.

Best,

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-26-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM

416 posts, read 698,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think Lindy has gentrified considerably (along with W Bab).
The shacks in the flood zone creep me out a little but other than that its a cute downtown with decent schools low taxes etc.

I think its a good value and definitely on the reboubnd.

It would be on my short list if I was married to a NYC commute.

Crooks
Why do they "creep" you out? Are they ugly? Risky to live in? Have creeps who live in them?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Why do they "creep" you out? Are they ugly? Risky to live in? Have creeps who live in them?
Im sorry.

Not unsafe. just unsightly and prone to flooding.

Im not sure how far south of Montauk Lindy Id buy without a good engineer and insurance guy.

That and I would avoid Copiague schools.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island