Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
did city data's resident gourmet ever find what he was looking for?
I found quite a few good ones. Wunderbar is a great choice and I have been going there for over 25 years but I like to also hear peoples opinions on what they think is good. Unfortunately alot of the good delis have closed down over the years. Winklers was a real good place on old town road in pjs but closed years ago. Higbie Heroes in west islip is also gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 AM

95 posts, read 235,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I found quite a few good ones. Wunderbar is a great choice and I have been going there for over 25 years but I like to also hear peoples opinions on what they think is good. Unfortunately alot of the good delis have closed down over the years. Winklers was a real good place on old town road in pjs but closed years ago. Higbie Heroes in west islip is also gone now.
Winkler's was awesome! I already recommended Wunderbar, but I have a couple more to add. I agree with the poster that mentioned SeaPort Deli in Setauket, Landmark Deli is also quite good. Also Campus Heroes in Rocky Point has some excellent sandwiches.

We really love our food here on LI!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
Winkler's was awesome! I already recommended Wunderbar, but I have a couple more to add. I agree with the poster that mentioned SeaPort Deli in Setauket, Landmark Deli is also quite good. Also Campus Heroes in Rocky Point has some excellent sandwiches.

We really love our food here on LI!
Campus is a good fallback but not as a primary.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
There is a deli in lake grove that was good don't remember the name, tj's hero's are pretty good.

The guy off the LIE in queens there at the van wicked lie junction is good . . . .

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM

95 posts, read 235,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Campus is a good fallback but not as a primary.
I always prefered the one in Selden but they are no more

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

23 posts, read 89,947 times
I'm originally from West Islip....have lived many places since, but whenever I'm visiting Long Island, my first stop is always Captree Deli (between King Kullen and Stop and Shop) in West Islip for a chicken cutlet sandwich---granted, not a hero, only the BEST sandwich!! All their sandwiches are delicious, only I always order the one with the chicken cutlet and the hot sauce, without the hot sauce! mmmm.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingny View Post
I'm originally from West Islip....have lived many places since, but whenever I'm visiting Long Island, my first stop is always Captree Deli (between King Kullen and Stop and Shop) in West Islip for a chicken cutlet sandwich---granted, not a hero, only the BEST sandwich!! All their sandwiches are delicious, only I always order the one with the chicken cutlet and the hot sauce, without the hot sauce! mmmm.

You leave out the only thing that would make the sandwich worthwhile. Chicken cutlet sandwich - king of the lame sandwiches.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
I always prefered the one in Selden but they are no more
100% agree.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You leave out the only thing that would make the sandwich worthwhile. Chicken cutlet sandwich - king of the lame sandwiches.
Wow, chix cutlet w/ lett, tom & mayo. How exotic. Are there really 5 pages on this?! LI continues to be a cultural mecca. Rock on OP dude, live dangerously, have some salt and pepper with that!! Yee haw!! Wash it down with a grape nehi, Radar.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Wow, chix cutlet w/ lett, tom & mayo. How exotic. Are there really 5 pages on this?! LI continues to be a cultural mecca. Rock on OP dude, live dangerously, have some salt and pepper with that!! Yee haw!! Wash it down with a grape nehi, Radar.
You can never mess with the classics. Nothing better than a Sabrett hot dog from a good truck too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island