Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebs1001 View Post
Brookhaven. Honestly, I don't want to bring the kids into it, I do know them and I feel for them.

Is this going to catch up with her? She owes 323,000, not paying the mortgage and making money off the house. The people in the house have trashed the house, cardboard in broken windows, railing ripped of the outside stairs when the drunk man got mad because she locked him out, beer bottles in the front lawn, and more stuff I just don't feel like listing.

The owner of the house doesn't care, she hasn't fixed anything. Why would she care? She is making $ and knows no matter what, she is losing the house because the mortgage is so high (her ex-husband paid for everything, but everything was in her name).

Can you feel my frustration?

Owing money is not a criminal offense. The most likely scenario is the bank will become the owner after foreclosure and try to sell the property.
The people living in it now will be evicted once the bank takes possession.
She'll get dinged on her credit report - that's about it. As for the making $ part - are you sure? What would it matter anyway? I thought you said you're really interested in getting rid of the inhabitants. Sure it's an eyesore, but unfortunately, these things take time. As for repairing it, if she doesn't have the money to pay for the mortgage, why do you think she'd have the money to make repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 18,307 times
I do agree, but is it really going to help MY SITUATION, which is my goal to get her kids kicked out of school? It is going to hurt her kids and **** her off. It is not going to help my situation.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Owing money is not a criminal offense. The most likely scenario is the bank will become the owner after foreclosure and try to sell the property.
She'll get dinged on her credit report - that's about it. As for the making $ part - are you sure? What would it matter anyway? I thought you said you're really interested in getting rid of the inhabitants. Sure it's an eyesore, but unfortunately, these things take time. As for repairing it, if she doesn't have the money to pay for the mortgage, why do you think she'd have the money to make repairs?
I want the people out of the house. My husband was taking care of the house before they moved in. She has moved out 3 months prior to the tenants moving in. My husband would cut the grass when he cut ours. He wanted to make sure it looked like people lived there. He knew how to turn the outside lights on, so he would.

I just want these people OUT!!!!! I want to know how I can get them out?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Our main goal is to get these people out. I don't care about the eyesore, honestly my husband and neighbors would fix stuff to make sure it wasn't an eyesore. It is for our quality of life, so the fixing of things is a selfish act on our part.

Any ideas on what I can do to get these people out? No rental agreement, the owner is denying that she is taking $$$.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
I do agree, but is it really going to help MY SITUATION, which is my goal to get her kids kicked out of school? It is going to hurt her kids and **** her off. It is not going to help my situation.
You'll have to figure out what your goal is. Think about what you described...

The police are there 2 - 3 times a week. We are constantly woken up to fighting in the middle of the night, we are very uncomfortable and scared. These people have nothing to lose; we have a son and a house. My neighbors have young children and the most important thing to us is the safety and well-being of our children.

You may have to make a choice between peace of mind for your family and neighbors, and her wants for her kids. It won't be easy or nice, but if her kids aren't there and aren't in danger and yours are then it may come to playing hardball to get these tenants out.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Our main goal is to get these people out. I don't care about the eyesore, honestly my husband and neighbors would fix stuff to make sure it wasn't an eyesore. It is for our quality of life, so the fixing of things is a selfish act on our part.

Any ideas on what I can do to get these people out? No rental agreement, the owner is denying that she is taking $$$.
I think the only person who can evict them is the owner, and even that takes time.
Otherwise, if one or both of the individuals ends up in jail.

I'm not aware of any law that allows people to be forced to move because they are disturbing the neighbors.

Small consolation I know, but at least they didn't BUY the house, in which case they would be there forever. There is an end in sight, unfortunately you may just have to hand in there.

One option, MAY be if there is some way to get in touch with the bank which will take over the property, but they don't seem to care what happens to the properties.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Brookhaven. Honestly, I don't want to bring the kids into it, I do know them and I feel for them.

Is this going to catch up with her? She owes 323,000, not paying the mortgage and making money off the house. The people in the house have trashed the house, cardboard in broken windows, railing ripped of the outside stairs when the drunk man got mad because she locked him out, beer bottles in the front lawn, and more stuff I just don't feel like listing.

The owner of the house doesn't care, she hasn't fixed anything. Why would she care? She is making $ and knows no matter what, she is losing the house because the mortgage is so high (her ex-husband paid for everything, but everything was in her name).

Can you feel my frustration?

Ok thank you.
Heres my suggestions.

Start with calling 451 town and get the Law dept to check on COs and Violations also they can ticket for excess trash.
(Brookhaven has been fairly responsive to slumlording and QOL issues)

Get your Councilperson involved. If they are reuluctant, call them out in the press.They only move with praise or punishment.

Go to your Civic Meetings when the press and COPE are there and give them an earful in public.

Have a signed petition at your fingertips.Photos on the web would help.
Post some on this thread and aend a link to the press.

Heres the big one....if you suspect the kids are in harms way you must alert the SD asap.Youll see swift response.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 AM

316 posts, read 989,742 times
Definately get the media involved. It's the only way to get any public servant to service the public.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We had something similiar in our community recently. Long story short, mum bought the house, had her 21 year old son living there, house is in foreclosure, he got tenants ; young and they were dealing out of the house. Neighbour called police several times, several fights also.

One year later ; the house goes on fire. Now there is noone living in the house, it has a blue tarp on the roof and soon will be decaying.

What is better ; a burned out house that is in forclosure in a decent development and will not be fixed for ages??

Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ok thank you.
Get your Councilperson involved. If they are reuluctant, call them out in the press.They only move with praise or punishment.

Good luck

Crooks
This was my first thought. When all else fails, get the media involved. Try to call them on a slow news day. See if anyone you know works for Newsday, Cablevision, News 12 - anything.

Otherwise I don't see what else you can do, unless you and your neighbors want to posse up and go over there en masse and make some noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: