Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not a Democrat, I'm a moderate-leftist. There's a big difference. The impetus behind de-regulating banking is the result of our government being bought and sold by large corporations, many of those being banks, and both parties are guilty of that, but this movement towards de-regulation was initiated by the GOP, it was their mantra starting in the late 70's, and that's all there is too it. Now, say partisan blinders one more time...

Many Democrats saw Reagan's success and bought into the philosophy and got big money behind them because of it.

I'm more anti-corporate control of the government than anything, and in that case the Dems are a lesser of 2 evils, although not much so.
That was the most astute thing I've read all day.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That was the most astute thing I've read all day.
Except all of his posts appear to be completely anti-republican and pro-democrat but his doubletalk aside I agree with this person about being against corporations running the government.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I miss Billy Jeff and The Gipper

Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Regarding the orignal topic, I would like the federal government to take into account the higher cost of living in this area when they offer various programs and loans. Even for certain types of college loans, there is a maximum income limit for the entire country and therefore doesn't take into account the higher salaries and cost of living in the NY area. Therefore, unfairly, middle class people from other parts of the country can qualify while New Yorkers cannot.

How can you justify that? No one told us to live in the land of BMW's and Hummers..well, I guess some of our parents did, but no one forced us to stay here.

It is unfair that classic income distributions are skewed (40K income in other parts of the country is middle class..it's bordering on poverty here), but I can't see that ever flying in the parts of the country that aren't LA, the Bay Area, and the east coast megalopo-whatever.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kars 4 kids scam View Post
Except all of his posts appear to be completely anti-republican and pro-democrat but his doubletalk aside I agree with this person about being against corporations running the government.

If you call pointing out that Glass-Seegal was authored and presented by 2 Republicans and that the mantra of Republicans starting in the 1970's was de-regulation "double talk", you need to do some research.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I miss Billy Jeff and The Gipper

What you are seeing now with the economic collapse is the legacy of Ronald Reagan's voodoo economics, pushed by all the people who came after him, including Clinton. They are the ones who sold out the working class to Wall St and opened the flood gates for manufacturing jobs to vanish.

The fact that any working class guy thinks fondly of Ronald Reagan is a testament to how perception and media campaigns are so much more important than substance. Reagan sold Joe Sixpack and Trailer Park Tom out, but they loved him because he turned catchy phrases and called welfare people lazy. At the same time the Dems lost focus on working people and gave too much air time to leftist special interests like gay rights and abortion rights.

The GOP convincing lower middle class people that their enemies were minorities on welfare and not big money interests like banks and Wall Street is one of the greatest swindles of the 20th century. Absolutely brilliant.

So,yes, the police and teachers unions are soaking us through high taxes, living with benefits packages you used to get working for private industry, and no we can't afford to keep their inflated packages going, but that is only a symptom of the problem. Good night.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM

44 posts, read 180,660 times
the best thing Obama can do for Long Island is resign today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
The first thing the President should do is enforce existing immigration laws. That means throwing people who hire, house, and give aid to illegal aliens in jail. This would help us by making neighborhoods safer and allowing US citizens to take back the towns that have been invaded, like Brentwood, Freeport, Hempstead, and Huntington Station.
Instead of bailing out corporations, he should begin infrastructure improvement projects, such as burying the power lines, new high speed rail, and green energy projects. This would make getting around the island much quicker, and appealing to business, with cleaner air and lower energy costs.
And the money saved from denying welfare or any govt benefits to illegals would probably erase the defecit in a few years, and allow tax cuts for citizens.
But Obama has done none of this, in alot of ways, he's not much different from Bush, except he supports illegals more and wants to give them free health benefits.
Thats why I voted 3rd party. If Mitt Romney was running on the Republican ticket it may have been a different story.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Me too. Is Chuck Schumer up for re-election? We need to run his *** out on a rail. The same goes for the entire state Legislature - they can't even pass a budget, what a joke.
The MTA crisis is reason enough to send everyone packing in Albany. We dont have $$ for essential transit services but its OK to give themslves pay raises and give illegal aliens all the health care they need.
Ever drive by the welfare office in Uniondale? Looks like a foreign country!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
How about cutting off upstate NY and making them their own state. Long island and the city would remain NY. Upstate shows no resemblance to either areas and looks alot more like Vermont,and NH. We wouldn't have to share all the money with those areas which would help long islanders especially.
I think that may be the only way we will get proper representation. Albany is far upstate and removed from the city and LI. Just look at how they decided to cut MTA funding. Meanwhile pet rail and road projects costing millions of dollars go forward upstate, even though its the boonies up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island