U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM

294 posts, read 318,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Found out a little bit about Liming. Liming the Lawn Do I need to lime every year? My lawn has been maintained well by the landscaper, and I am planning to just take over this year. Do I need to lime this year?
Yes, and yes, I would. Only a soil test would say for sure, but over many years I haven't found any on the island that didn't. I would do it early spring, even before if conditions and the weather cooperate (no soft wet ground and a good rain coming soon). Consider if pulverized, granular or pelletized will work better for you, mainly the type spreader you'll use. Pulverized needs a drop spreader as opposed to the more prevalent broadcast version.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Look for one that gives you option of using the bag or chute.
That reminds me. Mulching mowers are a great option when used properly. That means mowing when it's dry and before it gets too tall. It saves on the need for fertilizer and even water, not to mention disposing of material that can turn nasty when not handled appropriately.

Aside from higher cost (but better value), the only downside that comes immediately to mind other than the above, is if there is a pool, you'ld probably want to collect the clippings, at least in that area.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post

I remember you had a pic on your profile of you sitting on a tractor. Was that your lawn mower?
No, not around here! One day I hope it will be though!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM

815 posts, read 1,080,286 times
Don't put lime down on a windy day, or you might have a really red face from the burns produced by the lime!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,426,165 times
Hi Guys, I called up for lawn maintenance and they quoted $275 for seeding using the heavy duty machine. My grass is very light, lots of dead spots, and I am thinking of having them do it. Do you guys thing its expensive ? The grass is around 3500-4000 sqft.

They also recommended to let the weeds grow this year because if we try to kill it now it will be too late to grow new grass. So lets get lawn to seed well and grow grass and next year we can just concentrate on killing weeds. Are they making sense ?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 PM

815 posts, read 1,080,286 times
yep
Can't kill the weeds with new grass around. Don't know about the $275 for 4000 sq ft. I would do it myself, but, then again, I am retired and have the time for it.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM

The price seems reasonable if they know what they're doing. Early fall is an excellent time for broadleaf (dandelion, plantain etc.) weed control. Crabgrass (grassy weeds) is easier and cheaper to control with early spring pre-emergent control than it is to try and kill after it germinates. If you can wait until next spring for the crabgrass, that would be the way to go. Crabgrass germinates right after Forsythias are dropping their flowers so pre-emergent control needs to be applied before then. There are products to prevent crabgrass at the time of seeding but it's much more expensive.

Another alternative is to use glyphosate (Round Up) to kill all undesirable green broadleaf or grassy weeds. You can safely seed about a week after application.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 AM

3,125 posts, read 4,624,627 times
Weeds don't bother me too much.
As long as whatever is growing is green.
I keep the lawn mowed short, so it still looks great, even with some weeds mixed in.
Actually, I've found that weeds are good in heavy traffic areas.
In my yard where the dog spends most of his time, I have probabally a 50/50 mix of weed/grass, but it wears well, always green and no brown or dead spots.
As long as you keep it on the short side it looks good.
I'd rather have a weed lawn than the blotchy spotty brown and dirt lawn.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 AM

A weed is only something growing where it's not wanted. Sometimes the "weed" is the best plant for the situation...

Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,426,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Weeds don't bother me too much.
As long as whatever is growing is green.
I keep the lawn mowed short, so it still looks great, even with some weeds mixed in.
Actually, I've found that weeds are good in heavy traffic areas.
In my yard where the dog spends most of his time, I have probabally a 50/50 mix of weed/grass, but it wears well, always green and no brown or dead spots.
As long as you keep it on the short side it looks good.
I'd rather have a weed lawn than the blotchy spotty brown and dirt lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
A weed is only something growing where it's not wanted. Sometimes the "weed" is the best plant for the situation...
You are right, thats why this year I am going to try to just cover the dead spots and grow the new grass all over the lawn. I'll worry about the weeds next year.
As a new homeowner, you want to get everything up to the mark right away, now I have learnt to be patient and not stress about every small thing
You guys are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island