Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 27,318 times

Advertisements

HI,
I am currently residing in albany ny and due to a job transfer moving to Port Washington NY. Can anyone suggest good apartment communities where i can live by around 1000-1100 USD. I am looking for places where i can stay calmly after my day of work.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san3297 View Post
HI,
I am currently residing in albany ny and due to a job transfer moving to Port Washington NY. Can anyone suggest good apartment communities where i can live by around 1000-1100 USD. I am looking for places where i can stay calmly after my day of work.

Thank You.
What are you looking for? A studio? One bedroom?

You might be able to find a studio for $1200 in Port Washington but certainly not in a complex, it will likely be an apartment in a private home or above a store.

Here are the classified listings from the Port Washington News: Anton Classifieds • Real Estate (http://www.antonnews.com/classifieds/realestate.html - broken link)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,307 times
Hi, I am a local agent in Port Washington. Here is a free search website where you can browse for apartments at your leisure: Diane Schubach - Helping People Find Their Way Home. If you have any questions about Port Washington, I'd be glad to answer them, or visit Port Washington Life for local events and other information.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,566,721 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington

san3297, Port Washington can be very geographically confusing because Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (6,652 acres) are not in the hamlet (2,732 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington:

Port Washington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Baxter Estates, the Village of Port Washington North and the Village of Sands Point; on the east by Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Village of Flower Hill; and, on the west by the Village of Plandome Manor and Manhasset Bay.

Places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,566,721 times
Default MLSLI.com

san3297, oftentimes, the MLSLI.com, and other online lists, lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 AM

I am looking for a single bedroom apt for my family. I can travel for an hour from port washington using public transportation, but looking for community kind of apartments usually found in edison new jersey. I dont like private houses or complex kind.Can anyone suggest me any.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,619 times
Quote:
I am looking for a single bedroom apt for my family. I can travel for an hour from port washington using public transportation, but looking for community kind of apartments usually found in edison new jersey. I dont like private houses or complex kind.Can anyone suggest me any.
What do you mean by "community" apartments and how is that different from an apartment complex?

If you are looking for newer build apartment communities with amenities such as pools, rec rooms and playgrounds you are not going to find them in Nassau County, especially at that price level. I think some areas further out in Suffolk may have some of those types of arrangements, but they will likely be more than one hour out from Port Washington.

Long Island offers a horrendous quality of life if you don't have a sizable income. If you have a family and a fairly limited income(by Long Island standards) you may want to think twice before moving here.

Just the voice of experience speaking.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM

22,617 posts, read 36,535,927 times
I am not sure what you mean by community apartments either but I think a lot of the rentals in Port Washington are in private homes. You might want to consider areas on the same train line as Port Washington such as Aubondale, Bayside, Little Neck. They would only be a 15 minute or so commute by train to Port Washington.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 PM

How far does commute time take place from port washington to Rockaway Ny. I found it to be like 25 miles from port washington and have some good apartments. Just concerned about commute time it may take during peak hours. I am looking at Wavercrest gardens apts at 20-10 Seagirt Blvd. Far Rockaway, NY 11691 .Can anyone let me know how travel on daily basis in terms of travel and time between these two routes look like?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,474,501 times
Quote:
How far does commute time take place from port washington to Rockaway Ny. I found it to be like 25 miles from port washington and have some good apartments. Just concerned about commute time it may take during peak hours. I am looking at Wavercrest gardens apts at 20-10 Seagirt Blvd. Far Rockaway, NY 11691 .Can anyone let me know how travel on daily basis in terms of travel and time between these two routes look like?
Depending on traffic, anywhere between 45-90 minutes....maybe even a little more.

Far Rockaway is also (arguably) the worst neighborhood in New York City not located in The Bronx, so you might want to consider that. Since you know Albany, think Arbor Hill or South End but with way more murders. If you go further west on the Rockaway Peninsula, there are nicer communities but your commute would just be ridiculous at that point. The whole place is very isolated from everything.

I'm also pretty sure those particular buildings you're looking at used to be NYCHA public housing projects LOL. You're not really gonna find mid-rise apartments like that too many places in Nassau - the only ones that come to mind are in Great Neck, Long Beach, Glen Cove and Hempstead. The first three are a little out of your price range, the last one is like Far Rockaway but not near the beach.

Looking along the LIRR line through Queens is a good idea, as someone else mentioned. Flushing and Bayside both have tons of apartments.

Port North - There aren't any garden apartment 1BRs in Port Washington for $1250?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island