Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I have contended for years that NY City Transit does a better job with the subway than the LIRR does with a railroad. I see more of a mess on the LIRR than on subway trains.

BTW...do you chat a lot on the cell phone in the train?
My problem with the LIRR is that they are expensive as hell and the performance and the conditions of the train are sub-par at best. If it was cheap I wouldn't care if my train was late or dirty, but for the price I am paying, it should be far better than it is.

My (*new* boyfriend! yay!!!) is from Staten Island and when we rode on the LIRR together, he couldn't believe how expensive it was and the shotty condition. (granted we were on an older train, but still).

They do this b/c they can...b/c they know commuters really have no choice. People are going to continue to ride the trains, so why do they need to give a crap about us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would. It's better than being hostage on a train...people's vomit and beer spills, loud annoying ladies yapping about their dumb kids, cell phone ringing, smelly food, garbage, overflowing bathrooms...but you get the idea.
Then why don't you drive?

I can honestly say that commuting from Babylon on the 7:22 and back home on the 5:58, I didn't run into vomit and beer. There were the occasional obnoxious cell phone yakkers, but that's where the earplugs helped. I never had a problem with the bathrooms, and didn't see a whole lot of trash. Sometimes the 5:58 was an old train, but the 7:22 was a double-decker and always a nice, quiet ride.

At least here there's a commuter rail that runs 24-7. There are places that don't have a commuter rail at all, or have limited service and if you miss the last train out at 7:00, you're screwed.

Oh, and the AirTrain service from Jamaica to JFK is excellent.

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
I have contended for years that NY City Transit does a better job with the subway than the LIRR does with a railroad. I see more of a mess on the LIRR than on subway trains.
agreed. If LIRR were to ban alcohol, that would help improve cleanliness.

Quote:
BTW...do you chat a lot on the cell phone in the train?
I try to text when I'm on the train. Do you complain this much about every other aspect of your life?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Then why don't you drive?

I can honestly say that commuting from Babylon on the 7:22 and back home on the 5:58, I didn't run into vomit and beer. There were the occasional obnoxious cell phone yakkers, but that's where the earplugs helped. I never had a problem with the bathrooms, and didn't see a whole lot of trash. Sometimes the 5:58 was an old train, but the 7:22 was a double-decker and always a nice, quiet ride.

At least here there's a commuter rail that runs 24-7. There are places that don't have a commuter rail at all, or have limited service and if you miss the last train out at 7:00, you're screwed.
Yes I used to ride the Babylon line...it wasn't bad. My line now is HORRIBLE.

I would drive, that isn't the issue, the issue is parking. If there was ample parking in the city, I would be driving everyday without a doubt.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
The problem is that most LIRR riders have never riden on Metro North...now that is a well run railroad.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The problem is that most LIRR riders have never riden on Metro North...now that is a well run railroad.
I happen to love NJ transit as well...even though they do shut down from 12-4a...but that doesn't effect me b/c I don't go to Jersey late night anyway.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm on it EVERYDAY.
there are weeks when I take it every day. I've seen you complain about frequent delays and I simply don't see it.

I think you're making a lot of this up. either that, or you're misreading the timetable...lol.

what train do you take in the morning?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM

44 posts, read 135,137 times
Hi BklynGirl45. We spoke earlier. I'm the one that does the commute from Huntington to Park Slope (sometimes driving and sometimes LIRR). If you're apprehensive about the LIE, I strongly recommend the Grand Central/Northern State route. I use it all the time for similar reasons. There are no trucks and drivers are slightly less aggressive. It should only add about 5-10 minutes to your commute. It's a much nicer ride.

Also, please don't believe the horror stories about the LIRR. Delays are rare in my experience. My LIRR time is often the most relaxing "me time" for the week! Plenty of time to read and catch-up on sleep. If you're used the subway, it will feel like a limousine ride!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
agreed. If LIRR were to ban alcohol, that would help improve cleanliness.

I try to text when I'm on the train. Do you complain this much about every other aspect of your life?
No only since I have been subjected to the rude, spoiled, self-indulgent behaviour of Long Islanders.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
No only since I have been subjected to the rude, spoiled, self-indulgent behaviour of Long Islanders.
seriously, how often do you hear people talking loudly on their phones? I hardly ever see it...and when I do, the person usually gets "shussed" after a minute or two. To me, this is a virtual non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island