Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM

465 posts, read 1,710,143 times

Advertisements

From Downtown Bklyn, you don't need to take the Belt/Southern State at all, in fact its out of the way and is def worth avoiding.

Take the BQE to LIE, go 4 miles on LIE, then get on the Grand Central. Turns into Northern State at county line.

You can also take the Jackie Robinson Pkwy from Bklyn directly to the Grand Central though from downtown Bklyn the BQE is most likely closer.

I hate the LIE too mostly b/c of the trucks, def prefer the pkwy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Why would I do that when I have this lovely forum?
Anyway, I avoid twitter and social networking sites at all cost.
Rats. You've been the comic relief here, so I was wondering if you kept a blog.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyawka View Post
As long as you are driving 55 mph in the right hand land, you shouldn't be getting too many angry responses. However, I can't relate because I confess to leading in the indy 500. When I get stuck behind a mini-cooper doing 50 mph, I have to reason that person by rights can do it without risking their life. I just go around them without gesturing or anything. Doing 55 in the left lane is another story. Why is it that a person will not go around someone going too slow but will instead bug them to go faster (unless in the left lane)? Is it that hard to change lanes?

Here's an interesting fact that relates to fast driving. It has been said that the earth has increased its speed by a small amouint. This, in turn, results in faster driving in an attempt to be at one with the earth. Ok, so I made the 2nd part up.
If you drive 55 on the LIE, you will get run over. Seriously. I just went from Holbrook to Plainview and back and went about 72-75 to keep pace. Best part was that on the way back, it was two cop cars that were setting said pace.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You are obviously not an LI native -- the answer to your problem is to buy an Escalade or Suburban to combat the crazy drivers.

It's the truth, it's the Long Island way.
Sad, but true.

I need it to survive

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 AM

27 posts, read 48,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
The problem I have is those damn trucks and speeding cars! Everyone is flying at 100 mph!!!!
As I am reading the responses I cannot help but wonder how many who replied are the reckless, immature, irresponsible drivers that cause you and I to fear for our safety?

If I were you I would try taking the LIE to GCP in Queens and continue on the NSP to the LIE exit located one exit past Manetto Hill Road in Plainview. Stay on the service road for about three miles until you reach 110. If you work site is located south of the LIE you may consider turning right from the service road onto Walt Whitman Road, which merges with 110 about two miles south of the expressway.

If you take the BQE to the GCP you are driving many miles out of your way.

Good luck!

Signed,

Right Lane Slug

Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

104 posts, read 380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Deck View Post
As I am reading the responses I cannot help but wonder how many who replied are the reckless, immature, irresponsible drivers that cause you and I to fear for our safety?

If I were you I would try taking the LIE to GCP in Queens and continue on the NSP to the LIE exit located one exit past Manetto Hill Road in Plainview. Stay on the service road for about three miles until you reach 110. If you work site is located south of the LIE you may consider turning right from the service road onto Walt Whitman Road, which merges with 110 about two miles south of the expressway.

If you take the BQE to the GCP you are driving many miles out of your way.

Good luck!

Signed,

Right Lane Slug
Thanks! This is a great route actually and I can handle a few miles on the LIE (Just not the whole 23!) I will try this out tommorrow. My job is located right off the LIE 49 Huntington exit (I think that is North).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island