Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Que?
Sorry inside joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Theres a few Rustic Acres out there

Miller Place and Yaphank come to mind.
Theyre nice.Like Strathmore with more land and basements.

I wonder if it was all the same builder.

(Cedar L ranches and colonials?)
I drove around the Rustic Acres development in Miller Place once and I thought it was the same builder at the time because at least some of the houses looked very similar. I know that at least some (if not all) of the houses in Lake Grove's Rustic Acres do not have basements, however. I guess the builder is not a very large one as I cannot find their name anywhere. I think it's sort of a shame that we don't have more history of our houses and developments preserved anywhere. I have no idea who built my house...

Where is the Yaphank Rustic Acres?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I drove around the Rustic Acres development in Miller Place once and I thought it was the same builder at the time because at least some of the houses looked very similar. I know that at least some (if not all) of the houses in Lake Grove's Rustic Acres do not have basements, however. I guess the builder is not a very large one as I cannot find their name anywhere. I think it's sort of a shame that we don't have more history of our houses and developments preserved anywhere. I have no idea who built my house...

Where is the Yaphank Rustic Acres?

Off of 101.

Both of which are desriable ... particularly MP.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
I know Old Field is a poor mans Massapequa Park but does the crap area only go to Amityville or Farmingdale?
Huh?

Old Field?

Old Field is a village in the northwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County while the Amityville Union Free School District is in the southwest part of the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County and the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the Farmingdale Union Free School District is in the northwest part of the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County and the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
I think in holbrook, the areas south of Railroad ave is in general well kept compared to the north....
Also north of Vets highway is better than south.... thats just my observation.

In ronkonkoma, near the railway station is a little seedy in the evenings, we just need more lights maybe. Union avenue and railroad ave can be better.

In general though, these are 2 very nice towns IMO.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
Kids literally living across the street from Berner JH in "East" Massapequa (other side of Carman Mills Rd) can't go to school there. It's pretty ridiculous.
Because they are not districted to go there, Moderator cut: no name-calling If it were based on your backwards logic of kids going to schools geographically closest to them, every single school in the county would have a drastically different student body than they do today. The racist card went with the 90's, get up to date..It has nothing to do with your racist conspiracy theories...I bet if Berner wasn't blue ribbon quality and was instead the quality of hempstead HS, you'd be instantly changing your tune on the issue.

People are fully aware of what SD they are in when they move to an area. They don't buy based on proximity to the school hoping to get in because it's closer to them!?! Newbie..

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-09-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
People are fully aware of what SD they are in when they move to an area. They don't buy based on proximity to the school hoping to get in because it's closer to them!?!
Actually, a few poor souls who really do not know the ins-and-outs of school district governance do not ask the correct question -- What school district and in what attendance zone in that school district is this property located? -- and only find out after they purchases that property and are already moved in.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Actually, a few poor souls who really do not know the ins-and-outs of school district governance do not ask the correct question -- What school district and in what attendance zone in that school district is this property located? -- and only find out after they purchases that property and are already moved in.

True, back in the 60's Levitt told potential homeowners in what today is Islandia that their kids would go to Hauppauge schools. It was not until they moved in did they realize they were zoned for CISD.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
True, back in the 60's Levitt told potential homeowners in what today is Islandia that their kids would go to Hauppauge schools. It was not until they moved in did they realize they were zoned for CISD.
True

but CI and Brentwood were nice then.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
True

but CI and Brentwood were nice then.

True, that's why there was very little uproar about it but even back then CI was working class and Hauppauge was a bit more upscale but in a rural way. I'm sure you know the right SD is not a recent phenonmenon on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island