Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

10 posts, read 214,084 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

So I took my NYS road test today and failed...looking for a little help on what I can do better for next time. This is my 2nd time taking the test...the first time I failed because when I started the car, it instantly swerved left when I tapped on the accelerator, making me even more nervous. After I straightened out the car, I had to stop for a stop sign, and then make a right. My view was obstructed from the left, so I inched out, and seeing no one, I tapped on the accelerator to go right...just as somebody came speeding out from the left side. My examiner slammed on the brakes for me and failed me on the spot. This was in Cunningham Park in Queens.

So today, I took the exam over in Wantagh. Everything seemed to be going great...did everything the examiner told me to. Got to the parallel park, did it alright (examiner had me parallel park in front of a driveway...and the curb next to it was a little curved), except when I had straightened out the car, and pulled it up a little closer to the car in front of me, I noticed it was too far from the curb. So I began to fix it, and he stopped me and told me to start the park over again. I did, and then was told to keep going. When I pulled out, he said I was on the wrong side of the road for a split second (even though there was nobody around and I went back on the right side immediately), and docked off points for that. Then he took off points for "excessive maneuvers" on parking, even though I was just about to fix the park myself.

Keep going, I'm asked to make a 3-point turn...did so quite well, or so I thought, and then he took off points because I wasn't looking behind me long enough (I was literally looking everywhere while making the turn, behind me, in front of me, left and right with blinkers at each part of the turn). After that, I'm told to make a few more lefts and rights, and stop at stop signs, which I do very well...up until the end of the exam. He told me to keep going and then make a left turn immediately after the traffic light under a bridge (this was after an intersection).

What I didn't know was that after the intersection, the lanes were very short leading up to the traffic light, and I found myself on the right lane. So I put my blinker up, look in the side mirror and in my blind spot (there was no one around), and begin to pull into the left turn lane. Halfway through, when I'm in the middle lane, the examiner stops me, tells me that was a dangerous maneuver, and took off even more points. Then he said 'make the left and we're going back to the start point'. By this time I had gotten really frazzled, and prepared to make my left turn at that intersection (keeping the car straight with the left blinker on), waiting until the cars going straight had gone. He started then to yell at me to turn, asking what I was waiting for, and when I said I was waiting for the cars going straight to pass, he yelled at me to not do that...so I quickly made my turn. Then he grumbled "Goddamn it" or something, had me park curbside, and then pretty much threw me my examination sheet, said nothing but "you need more practice", and then stormed out of the car. He did say hello, how are you to me when he got into the car, and then...this.

I've had lots of practice driving before and know I could use a teesny bit more practice on parallel parking to make it perfect. I spent about a month or two straight driving with my parents and a driving instructor, and they tell me I'm a good driver...I've driven tons of times in all sorts of environments, pretty much drove all over Queens and Long Island, including the LIE and Southern State Pkwy TONS of times, have never hit anything, gone over a curb, or gotten into any accidents (or anything close to it) at all.

I borrowed my instructor's car, and while on the way back, he couldn't seem to figure out how I failed (with like 60 points...), but he said "at the end, you might have made the lane change a little too late", even though I only did it because there was nobody around me.

So I'm not understanding what exactly happened...I was perfectly calm for the road test and was fairly confident, even if I did draw a couple of blanks, and aside from that one part at the end (which I'm still a little baffled about), I can't seem to quite figure out what I should do next. I'm not sure if I was just graded harshly, or if I really do need more practice Thanks in advance for reading all this and for any advice you can give...I'd really, really like to pass my 3rd try.

I didn't mind taking the test again in Wantagh, it was very straightforward, I just don't want to get that same examiner again >.>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,676,261 times
Perserverance will help. Look at that lady in South Korea..what did she take it, something like 500 times. You'll pass eventually.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM

184 posts, read 803,450 times
lol...3rd time may be the charm.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Since when they are giving tests in Wantagh now? I took mine in freeport...about 11 years ago now...holy moly!

You don't have to use the drivers ed car, by the way. If you prefer and it's more comfortable for you, you can use one of your parents car or someone else that you know's car. I took drivers ed obv b/c it was a requirement, but most of the time I practiced with my mom in her car, so that was the car I chose to use for the test. I dunno about the cars you use now, but our drivers ed cars were so old and you had to press down on the gas peddle so hard to make it go anywhere...very annoying.

I would suggest using the car you are most comfortable with...and taking it @ the wantagh or queens location again b/c you are already familiar with it. I'd suggest probably Wantagh- I find Nassau a lot easier to drive around in than in the boros- forget Manhattan- driving there sucks.

Read over the books so you are 100% sure of the all the rules. If you get a nit-picky instructor, he/she is going to take off points for everything that is even the slightest bit wrong. Take everything slow and think about every move before you make it. It's not a race, there's no time limit- so just be cautious & careful.

I'm sure you were, but it also helps to just be nice, personable and agreeable...even if the person is a complete d-bag...after all, they are the expert.

Good luck- I hope you pass it this time around. Third time's the charm!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM

88 posts, read 479,302 times
Yea, sometimes it is just the tester you get. It took 4 times for me to get mine, each time I got more nervious. The fourth time I did so terrible I almost just turned around and drove the guy back to the starting point, and that is the guy that passed me. Hang in there, now that you know the area in Wantagh it wouldn't hurt to practice driving around there before the next test.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,310,694 times
I have seen people take it for 5-6 times before they pass.... not to discourage you, but just saying that it has happened. Don't stress yourself. A lot of times its the mood the examiner is in on that day.... Its tougher to pass here compared to other states (some states are a joke !) but its for a reason.... if you read the other thread about someone scared about driving on LIE, you will know why.... those are the drivers you will face, welcome to the fraternity !!

Are you a female ? On your next attempt.... can you put a pillow under your dress and pretend to be pregnant ?? just kidding !!

Ditch the instructor if everyone is telling you that you drive good. Its a waste of money hence forward. He must be charging you for the car to take to the test too !!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,676,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
Yea, sometimes it is just the tester you get. It took 4 times for me to get mine, each time I got more nervious. The fourth time I did so terrible I almost just turned around and drove the guy back to the starting point, and that is the guy that passed me. Hang in there, now that you know the area in Wantagh it wouldn't hurt to practice driving around there before the next test.
It's been 40 years since I got my license but, if I remember correctly, it was forbidden to drive in an area where the road test was given if you only had a learner's permit.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,310,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's been 40 years since I got my license but, if I remember correctly, it was forbidden to drive in an area where the road test was given if you only had a learner's permit.
You are absolutely correct. Things have not changed. You are forbidden only if you are caught.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,307,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You can do that now, however some of the ones that give the test will fail you right on the spot if they see you drive up to the test site. I know of one person that failed because they sat in the drivers seat waiting for the tester to come to the car.

One was called back for driving away from the test site after they said he passed.

Mine just kept writing on the paper and then after we went back to the test site, she just shoved them to me and went out of the car. I had no idea if I passed or failed. So my instructor went through the paperwork and told me I passed.

Back then if your instructor took you in his car to the test site (if the car said "such and such auto school" on the side or top) then you were given more of a chance.

Crappy I know, but they can fail you and you can't dispute it.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 214,084 times
Thanks for your replies, I do feel a lot better now!

Just a little annoyed and upset because I actually had a really good feeling about this test, and that I did well up until the very, very end (that very last turn as I was finishing the exam, sigh...figures). I really would like to take it again in Wantagh ASAP, well, when I get another appointment, now that I know what exactly to expect, but I guess I'm just afraid of getting that same examiner again...but, on the bright side, at least if I do, I would know what he expects, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island