Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A few times I've seen a small bar set up at the front of the train car, but it wasn't like an actual bar for people to sit at. It just had regular seats where some people were drinking, some weren't. Is that what you mean?
Yes, the roll it in off the platform and it is positioned right inside the door area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I remember a guy guzzling down a quart bottle of beer and then bringing out a six pack of tall boys...drank it all within an hour.

Wonder if he got into a car at his station.
Actually that day I fell asleep and woke up in the train yard

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Yes, the roll it in off the platform and it is positioned right inside the door area.

But it isn't like how other people described it as. Other people have said that an entire car was devoted to a bar, and they would sit at the bar and drink. This had regular train seats, but a guy would run this tiny bar at the front. Are there 2 different types of bar cars or something?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
But it isn't like how other people described it as. Other people have said that an entire car was devoted to a bar, and they would sit at the bar and drink. This had regular train seats, but a guy would run this tiny bar at the front. Are there 2 different types of bar cars or something?
There used to be bar cars like that. As someone mentioned earlier, I think they were around when the diesel trains were running. I have heard that there are only two of the current type left. I agree the original ones sound much nicer.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,424 times
I remember the bar being in the middle of the car and along one wall.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,386 times
Quote:
that was the old diesel equipment that was replaced starting in 1998 with the bi-level diesel equipment... there are no dedicated bar cars anymore... there are some bi-level cars that have no seats on the west end platform level that allow for the bar cart to be rolled in and set up for business... as far as the electric equipment, the bar cart is rolled into the vestibule area

Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Somewhere back in my childhood memories is my father mentioning a 4:02 out of Penn that had a bar car and connected with another train going out to the end that had another bar car, so that you were ready for the Hamptons when you got off the train. They also had parlor cars.

It appears that bar cars such as [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/17/nyregion/happy-hour-begins-on-the-lirr-5-47.html?pagewanted=1"]the 5:47 to Huntington in 1989[/URL] were a great way to meet people

Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Somewhere back in my childhood memories is my father mentioning a 4:02 out of Penn that had a bar car and connected with another train going out to the end that had another bar car, so that you were ready for the Hamptons when you got off the train. They also had parlor cars.

It appears that bar cars such as the 5:47 to Huntington in 1989 were a great way to meet people
Lol, I was 8.

Aww that seems like so much fun. Why did they do away with them? bad move, LIRR.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quoting that article..

Most of the regulars know each other by name or sight. There are three subgroups, they say, namely:
* The garment center people, who arranged the fishing expedition.
* The Wall Street contingent, who stand in the vestibule near the bar.
* An assortment of others who choose the chaos and high spirits, even if it means passing up the 5:30 train. 'No Other Car Like It'

The first and second group are gone..laid off and never really coming back. Brooklyn trains have been particularly affected by the lack of the Wall Street crowd. No more brokers and broker assistants pontificating about their "book of business" like they were the titans of the financial industry. Probalby all working as night managers at McDs now.

Good riddance to that drunken loud group.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

It appears that bar cars such as the 5:47 to Huntington in 1989 were a great way to meet people
Wow, that was great!. Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island